The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2000, 10:44 PM   #1
slickpuppy

If any of you could choose one powder for loading (to keep costs down) for target practice(accuracy) and the occasional hot load in the above calibers what would you use? Blue Dot, Unique? Others?
Old January 3, 2000, 10:59 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Nothing wrong with those two choices. My personal choice would be W231. Why? Because I have a keg of it. It has always worked well for me. Another good powder for all 4 is AA #5.
Old January 3, 2000, 11:05 PM   #3
Paul B.

Slickpuppy. I guess that if I were in the position that you state, then I would give serious consideration to Unique. I know it is not the cleanest burning powder. It may not give the highest velocities. But! it is usable, with good, if not great, results in all the cartridges you mention. I can say this because I use Unique in more handgun loads than any other powder. Heck, I bought an 8 lb. canister about 6 years ago, and it is still about one third full. Good stuff.
I've gotten an 8 lb. canister of W-231, but I am leary of using it for really hot loads.
I have heard that Blue Dot is somewhat temperature sensitive. I read an article by the late Bob Milek on Blue Dot. He said that at the colder temperatures, pressure became erratic and higher than normal. I E-mailed Alliant on this, and they denied that this happened. I passed on Blue Dot. He did get some good hot loads in .357, .41, and .44 Magnums though.
No, after 40 years of reloading, for general purpose loads in rounds ranging from .380 ACP to .44 Mag., I like Unique.
Paul B.
Old January 4, 2000, 12:44 AM   #4
katana

I'd recommend WW231 also for all the cartridges you listed. All my handgun ammo is loaded for accurate target shooting and 231 is an ideal fast powder for that type of shooting. I've found it also very economical. For the hot high velocity loads however I'd recommend you seek another slower powder. 231 peaks very quickly which may not be safe. I personally like H110 for hot .357 Magnum loads.

Good shooting

Katana
Old January 4, 2000, 04:40 AM   #5
ML

I have to agree with the other postings on W231. I have used it with good results in .38 splc., .357 and 9mm for target ammo. I have a friend of mine who uses Red Dot as his all purpose target load handgun powder.

Good Luck
Old January 4, 2000, 07:34 AM   #6
Bud Helms

I started with Unique, but wanted a slightly fuller case. Blue Dot was dirty in my .45 ACP, so I tried Herco. I like it.

I have yet to try the 231, but I have heard it highly recommended before.

Sensop
Old January 4, 2000, 08:10 AM   #7
slickpuppy

Thanks for the input everyone. I shoot mostly target loads and look for accuracy more than anything for punching paper. I keep a box of Federal Hydrashock in .357 for the Python if any predators invade the space. I realize one powder is not an ideal thing perhaps to some, but in my load books from Midway Unique and Blue Dot always pop up for accuracy loads in the .45 and are listed for the .357 load book too. I haven't purchased a 9mm loadbook yet. Temperature sensitivity is interesting with the Blue Dot. I am in Florida so the temperature ranges from nice and warm 70s to hot as hades. I guess the temperature sensitivity would really be more pronounced in a more varied climate like the midwest or north east. I appreciate the feedback on how dirty the loads can get. I normally shoot between 100 - 200 rounds at a session so EVERYTHING I shoot ends up being dirty! Sounds like I should try a pound of Unique, 231, and AA#5 to start off with, work up some accuracy loads, check them out on the Ransom Rest, then decide what to buy in keg size.
Old January 4, 2000, 09:22 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

HIGHLY RECOMMEND Hodgdon Universal Clays; clean-burning, easy-metering, fast enough for light 'target' loads, slow enough for decent velocity 'hot' loads.

NOT temp sensitive, relatively low flash, experience suggests it may be the best "one powder for everything" powder (but I have over 20 types on my bench).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old January 4, 2000, 09:31 AM   #9
JoeHatley

I use Bullseye for all my handgun reloading.

Everything from light target .38 secial loads to fairly stout .45 colt.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old January 4, 2000, 11:58 AM   #10
Fred

231 for me also. 99% of my loads are light to moderate target loads, so it works just fine. If I were inclined to shoot primarily hotter loads, then would go with a slower powder.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old January 4, 2000, 11:58 AM   #11
Mal H
Staff

slickpuppy - You are definitely going about it the right way. Try several powders and make up your own mind. That's a large part of the fun of reloading.

I absolutely agree with WESHOOT2 on U. Clays, but since cost was a factor in your note, I left it out since it is rarely put on sale whereas you can often find 231, Unique, and most AA powders on sale. Unique and AA #5, among others, are currently on sale at Natchez in 1 lb and 8 lb lots.

When I use U. Clays, it seems like I don't have to run the shells through the tumbler, it is so clean. (But I do anyway.)
Old January 4, 2000, 01:14 PM   #12
Dave Finfrock

Choosing just one powder is a futile undertaking. You can't just stick with one it seems. Still, Unique comes closest for me if magnums are involved. Otherwise, WW231.
Old January 4, 2000, 02:47 PM   #13
jtduncan

Titegroup. Good from 9mm up to 45 ACP. Go to GlockTalk and read about it. Meters well, trickles easy, clean but medium speed burner.

Gotten great accuracy in my 9s and 45s.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Old January 4, 2000, 06:30 PM   #14
slickpuppy

Looks like I might need to just add a few more in one pound sizes to see what might be most economical in the long run. Many of my friends have a lot of different powders on their benches but have reduced what they use to just a very short one or two for the bulk of their loading. Of course, they also went through the exercise of trying everything through each of their guns to come to that conclusion. After looking at the prices for one pound lots, it won't break the bank at all to try a few. One thing I haven't seen listed was the Norma powders available from Graf & Sons.
Old January 4, 2000, 06:41 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

Like all of their products, Norma's powders are very good. However, there is no where near the amount of loading data available for them as there is for the others mentioned. Same for Scot (recently bought by AA?) and Nobel. Of course you're going to have to try some of Vihta Vuori Oy's excellent powders.

Let's see, now you need to purchase around 8 different powders? Variety is the spice of life, eh wot?
Old January 4, 2000, 09:22 PM   #16
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I've used Unique more than any other in these calibers with the exception of hottest .357 handloads. I use Unique more than any other powder in handgun reloading.
Best.
Old January 4, 2000, 10:07 PM   #17
slickpuppy

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the input. With all the various powder recommendations my next step, I believe, is to look at some burn rate charts and load data with the various powders mentioned. I have shot some loads my friends produced with 231 in 9mm and it was reliable. Accuracy definitely left a lot to be desired though. I'm sure the accuracy could be improved upon with some load tinkering.
Old January 5, 2000, 01:21 PM   #18
10mmrules

If accuracy is your primary consideration, try titegroup. I have tried w231, and titegroup with comparable loads, and the titegroup is more consistant. in .45 200gr. w/3.0 gr titegroup i get .9 fps deviation. with the same load in 231 I get 56fps deviation. the titegroup has practicaly no recoil at that loading also. and you get nearly 2500 rounds from a pound of powder.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best
Old January 5, 2000, 01:23 PM   #19
10mmrules

oops, i forgot to say if you shoot that load in a 1911, you need to reduce the recoil spring to a 9#. like I said, it dont have a lot of recoil, but the follow up shots are really quick.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best
Old January 5, 2000, 04:32 PM   #20
DDS

W-231 is what I have been using for years for my 9mm and .45 target loads. Superb accuracy for me in my pistols.
Old January 5, 2000, 04:41 PM   #21
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Titegroup is an excellent powder for all of the mentioned calibers. It meters well and is designed to be insensitive to its postion in the case,meaning that velocities are very consistent.

Bill
Old January 5, 2000, 04:54 PM   #22
Mal H
Staff

10mmrules - My wife tells me I am too damned skeptical at times (she usually adds a devine attribute to the statement also). Here, I'll prove it to you: 0.9 fps deviation! You've got to be pulling our collective legs. That's out of the usual tolerance level for most chronographs other than the most expensive. Did you intend to use the decimal point?
Old January 5, 2000, 10:44 PM   #23
easyday

I have used 231 for 3 years now and like it
very much. Use it for my 1911 45, Hk 9, and
AR 9. use the same load for both 9s. 4.2 grs.
with a 124 gr. FMJ. Also, have AR 223 but
never loaded for this.
Have a question. Is the Russian 9 ammo safe
to use in my AR? Seems to be alot of bargains on this stuff.

Thanks,
easyday

Old January 6, 2000, 07:09 AM   #24
slickpuppy

easyday,
If the russian 9mm you plan on shooting is steel cased it will thrash the extractor on your ar. Colt and Bushmaster both recommend against using steel cased ammo in their rifles. Best to stick with brass cases.
If you plan on loading for your .223 ar buy some AA2200. Cheap and incredibly accurate with loads out to 200 yards for me.
Old January 6, 2000, 08:49 AM   #25
10mmrules

the decimal point was an error, it should be 9fps deviation. thanks