The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 31, 2014, 07:06 PM   #1
cjwils

Very happy with NRA firearms insurance

I had a home burglary in which my main gun safe was so badly damaged it had to be junked (although the burglars failed to get it open) and 4 handguns in two other smaller locked boxes were stolen. One small box was broken open and the other was broken loose from were it was bolted to the floor. I sent the police report to my homeowner's insurance, but that insurance has a substantial deductible, plus they cover a maximum of $2500 for guns. After I got the settlement from homeowner's insurance, I sent the police report, descriptions of items, and homeowner's insurance settlement to the NRA firearms insurance people; hoping that maybe I would get a few hundred bucks from them. In the end, I got considerably more from my NRA coverage than I had expected. Apparently, they decided that I had underestimated the value of the old guns, safe, and lock boxes, and they paid based on their estimates. NRA firearms insurance was certainly a good deal for me.
Old March 31, 2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I carry an additional policy on my homeowners

Zero deductible/full replacement cost. About $400/year.

How does the NRA ins stack up with that. Its renewal time and i might wanna switch.
Old April 1, 2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Rebel

NRA insurance

I would be interested in the cost also. I'm looking into getting extra insurance as my collection has grown exponentially over the last year.

Do you know if you have to be a current member to get/keep the insurance?
Old April 1, 2014, 08:33 AM   #4
cjwils

I am not trying to be a salesman, but if you are an NRA member, I think you can get $2500 worth of coverage at no cost. I got an additional $10,000 of coverage for a little over $100 per year.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Skans

This has been an interesting read. Not a bad deal at all - I really need to think about getting that insurance. Thanks.
Old April 1, 2014, 10:03 AM   #6
glh17

I have the $2500 no cost insurance that's offered with NRA membership. Don't know if there's a deductible or not but I haven't heard of one. Fortunately never had to use it. The insurance is called ArmsCare and there is a premium calculator for amounts above the no cost $2500 on NRA ArmsCare website. The site does give an example of $6500 of coverage for $65/yr. This includes the $2500 that comes with membership.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscareplus.htm
Old April 1, 2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

Thanks for posting this, cjwils. It's always useful to have some feedback about what happens when someone files an insurance claim, especially when the insurance is inexpensive.
Old April 1, 2014, 06:47 PM   #8
cjwils

Based on what NRA insurance paid me, I can tell you that the $2500 no-cost coverage does have a $100 deductible.
Old April 1, 2014, 08:09 PM   #9
glh17

$100 deductible seems reasonable for the coverage/cost. I'm just glad to hear you didn't have a problem with the payoff.
Old April 4, 2014, 06:48 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

check with a liberty mutual agent.