The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2014, 02:23 PM   #1
ghbucky01

Reloading records

I did try to do some searches, but I didn't really find anything specific to this question:

At the risk of asking a 'what color do you like' type question, I would like to know what the experienced reloaders find valuable for their records?

I know I should track:
caliber (duh)
bullet brand, type and weight
powder brand, and charge used
case brand
primer with lot #
load date
OAL

What else?

Also, after you do this for a few years, how do you go about finding stuff in your archives?

I'm reasonably computer savvy, so I was considering doing an Access DB.

Is there anything commercially available that is good? I haven't had any luck finding anything.

Thanks

[edit] I should add that right now I am loading handgun only (.45 acp). I also will track notes about pistol function and feel, as well as impressions on accuracy.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:43 PM   #2
nemesiss45

I also record number of times the case has been fired, last trim length, last sizing method, specific gun it was loaded for. And again, obviously, I keep a lot number and a notes section to add anything about the load I might want for future reference, like accuracy, any pressure issues, and generally anything that stands out about it.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:48 PM   #3
USMC 77-81

I also list;
1) Next to OAL I list published OAL in perenthesis for quick reference.
2) Trim length
3) If I am loading for 2 different guns of the same cartridge I list which gun it will be fired through and keep the fired formed cases seperate.
4) If I pick up stray brass I list that it is the first firing in my chamber.
5) To keep track I specify 'Batch #' and put a piece of masking tape on whatever container my loads are in, then when I shoot I take my note book (which I keep meticulous records in) for reference.
I ussually only keep such meticulous records when doing load development, once I settle on a load I just watch for changes.

Last edited by USMC 77-81; March 4, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:03 PM   #4
ghbucky01

Quote:
If I pick up stray brass I list that it is the first firing in my chamber.
That brings up a question: My Lymann manual repeats several times not to practice picking up brass. I gather a lot of people ignore that warning, since I see a lot of once fired brass for sale?
Old March 4, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
davem

Some of this depends on whether you are shooting a rifle or handgun. I've reloaded 38spl cases so many times I lost count but a 30-06 case is different and needs a lot more inspection. I would never reload 30-06 brass that I didn't buy myself and start reloading when the case was new, or once fired from new ammunition I bought.
And of course- record the accuracy of each load
Old March 4, 2014, 03:30 PM   #6
loademwell

I hate to admit, but I don't take very good records. I do keep track of the basics but never have used lot #'s off of brass or primers (should start doing that).

The only thing that I have to say about all of this is a little trick that my uncle told me about years and years ago;
Use the wife's fingernail polish to paint the very tip of the bullet. And mark on the sheet what each one is... i.e.

225 grain BTHP
50.3 grain of H4618
with _____ Whatever primer = Red

200 grain SP
50.1 grain of Claydot
with Federal 209 = White

(hence, I just tossed Numbers out of my head for ^ info but it gives you the idea)

This is nice when you are at the range and have 10 each but the box fell off the bench and now they are all in a pile on the ground....
Old March 4, 2014, 03:34 PM   #7
loademwell

Just an after thought; ANyone make their own off of a computer? If so, care to share here with an attachment? Would be nice to see a bunch of dif. ones and (barrow) the one you like the most.

I am fixing my good computer atm, but when I am done, I will make one up and submit it for everyone!
Old March 4, 2014, 03:36 PM   #8
jag2

I think a lot of new reloaders keep track of some of that info, for a while. Maybe (and that's a bid maybe) it is useful for some that shoot rifles in competition but most of it seems way overboard to me. If you just load for pistols, especially .45 ACP, you are wasting your time. If you are trying out a new powder or bullet, sure, keep track of what works best. As for brass, I don't care where it came from, if it isn't split or stepped on, I'm going to shoot it. I've got thousands of 45 brass, never bought one. Same for 9mm (even more) and 38 special. Not only is it perfectly good, it brings the cost of reloading way down.
Do what you want but I think when you get more comfortable in what you are doing you will probably change your mind. I've been reloading a long time and still am learning, from reading and talking to others, not from records.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:42 PM   #9
ghbucky01

Quote:
Some of this depends on whether you are shooting a rifle or handgun. I've reloaded 38spl cases so many times I lost count but a 30-06 case is different and needs a lot more inspection. I would never reload 30-06 brass that I didn't buy myself and start reloading when the case was new, or once fired from new ammunition I bought.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Quote:
This is nice when you are at the range and have 10 each but the box fell off the bench and now they are all in a pile on the ground....
heh, good tip! That'd definitely be a D'OH! moment.

jag2 If for no other reason than I am lazy, I like your approach
Old March 4, 2014, 03:43 PM   #10
davem

I have a spiral notebook with all my reload information in it. I take that to the range to record accuracy, etc. I usually am testing several different reloads and need to record how each does.
Old March 4, 2014, 03:50 PM   #11
hooligan1

I only keep track of the loads that are consistant.
As far as not picking up range brass, I beleive that's hocky... I pick up a he k of a lot of once fired great brand name brass, especially in 3006, the onlt caliber that I load and can never usually find is 7 mm rem mag...
Old March 4, 2014, 03:57 PM   #12
nemesiss45

I made my own, but I cant find the file now... if I do i'll post it

my theory on range brass is this... reloaders pick up their brass. non-reloaders don't... but they shoot factory ammo... so if there is fresh brass at the range, it is almost certainly once fired.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:18 PM   #13
nemesiss45

Quote:
Do what you want but I think when you get more comfortable in what you are doing you will probably change your mind. I've been reloading a long time and still am learning, from reading and talking to others, not from records.

I don't keep records to learn anything. I keep them to remember. I especially value my notes for load development. with powder availability how it is, I buy what I can and develop loads for it. so when time comes I buy "X" powder again and I have "Y" bullet on hand, I can go back and see what I worked up before.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:18 PM   #14
rclark

Is it accurate? That is all that is important to me....

So all I record in a master loads spreadsheet the following data for example.

.45 Colt
7.0g Green Dot, CCI-300, 250g RNFP, 917fps, 12 SD, 40 ES, 15 shots, 5 1/2", Accurate

My accuracy field is left blank for ho-hum load, 'Accurate' if within the bounds I consider accurate, and 'Accurate+' if I really like the load. Or leave a small note if deemed necessary like 'really position sensitive'.

On the reload box is simply the load and make a mark every time the box gets reloaded. Simple. Brand of case isn't important (to me anyway... Mostly use Starline).

No other data is recorded. Rifle/semi-auto rounds would have OAL recorded of course.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; March 4, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:52 PM   #15
wogpotter

I use MS excel with these column headings I thought about access but it didn't really seem needed.

Date (loaded)
Firearm
Cartridge
Bullet
Type
OAL
Case
Reload #
Charge
Powder
Primer
Aim Velocity
Chrono Date
String #
Shot #
Ind. Vel.
Low
Avg.
High
E.S.
S.D.
A.D.
Group / Distance

Note the last few relate to actual chronograph data as supplied by my chronograph. I don't chrono every lot, but I find it helpful to include those I do when working up loads.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 4, 2014, 04:59 PM   #16
ghbucky01

Quote:
I use MS excel with these column headings I thought about access but it didn't really seem needed.

Date (loaded)
Firearm
Cartridge
Bullet
Type
OAL
Case
Reload #
Charge
Powder
Primer
Aim Velocity
Chrono Date
String #
Shot #
Ind. Vel.
Low
Avg.
High
E.S.
S.D.
A.D.
Group / Distance

Note the last few relate to actual chronograph data as supplied by my chronograph. I don't chrono every lot, but I find it helpful to include those I do when working up loads.
Consider that stolen
Old March 4, 2014, 05:31 PM   #17
jag2

I do agree with nemesiss45, little notes to remember what I liked are helpful. I use small tupperware like containers to keep my ammo and I tape on a slip of paper that tells me what powder I used and how much. If it was a little weak or too strong I'll pull off the slip and make a note, so I guess technically that counts as record keeping. The longer you reload you will fine tune your procedures to what works for you.
I will admit to getting a little carried away on my firearm records. In addition to the standard C&R records I keep another set that has my purchases in chronological order and another set categorized by manufacturer. When you retire, you have time for such things along with more shooting and reloading time.
Old March 4, 2014, 06:34 PM   #18
SpringOWeiler

I know I should track:
caliber (duh)-Agree

bullet brand, type and weight-Agree

powder brand, and charge used-Agree

case brand-Not important, ask yourself this, if you have 500 bullets and 500 cases but only 200 are 1 brand, are you only going to load 200? Case sorting is only appropriate when striving for unrealistic accuracy. Even than I have never seen conclusive results that it makes a difference because so many other variables were changed. I only sort brass for my 700 because I have 4 rifles in it's caliber and save the most $ brass for it.

primer with lot #- Primer type absolutly std/mag/bench/etc. Forget about Lot#, I've loaded close to 8500 rounds of ammo and never once have I had a primer problem that wasn't firearm related. At the end of the day you'll buy what primer is available too you, and you will never ever ever say "jeeze what a great group that primer made for me."

load date- What and How much, and make at least 15 rounds of any given load. Note whether starting with a clean, light/mod/heavly fouled barrel. It's better to test on a light too moderately fouled barrel. So i'd recommend shooting a mag or 2 of factory rounds for warm up then do the testing.

OAL: Try to stick to the factory recommended for your bullet choice.

The most important be REALISTIC
1. How are you going to test for accuracy? Off a bench? If not, keep in mind that if you shoot 3" groups at 10 yards. You're going to shoot 3" groups at 10 yards regardless of the load capabilities.
2. Have a goal
Why am i making this ammo and what is it for.

This sounds like you're first load so I would recommend just focusing on shooting more for less. It'll do more for your skills then any load.
Old March 4, 2014, 06:49 PM   #19
4runnerman

I am anal till I find my load, then there is no purpose any more, other than how many times case has been loaded. Lot# is not needed, as once that lot# is gone it's not coming back again? I check MV every now and then and that's it.
Old March 4, 2014, 06:55 PM   #20
iraiam

Quote:
I'm reasonably computer savvy, so I was considering doing an Access DB.
I use Microsoft Excel, or if you don't want to buy a program, you can use Oracle Open Office. I find I don't need the Full blown Office with MS Access, just the Excel spreadsheets are sufficient for me (hundreds of loads).

I also make notations on muzzle velocity during development, usually averaged over a number of rounds.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 4, 2014, 08:14 PM   #21
4runnerman

deleted

Last edited by 4runnerman; March 4, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:34 PM   #22
Clark

The situation that needs documentation:
I reload in the reloading room.
I reload at the computer.
I reload in the vehicle.
I make dies in the machine shop.
I turn necks and trim rims in the machine shop.
I shoot targets over chrono at the range.
I shoot targets over chrono where I hunt.
I reload 62 cartridges.
I design and make gun parts.
Sometimes 5 cartridges can share one file folder box., dies, bullets, and brass. Sometimes a cartridge will need 10 file folder boxes.

The solution:
My wife would say, "Start a wiki", but I am still living the email stone age past.
I write range reports in email.
The range reports have inside them all the reloading information.

Spread sheets work for the gun collection and the scope collection. I put tags on the guns and scopes to identity them.

I started using spread sheets for the first year i was reloading. But the way I reload it is more like a lab report than an income tax filing.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 4, 2014, 09:05 PM   #23
Grundy53

Some good ideas on here.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #24
Sierra280

Buy my book! It's full of organized reloading charts, with commonly referenced variables already highlight, containing space for all variables necessary to EXACTLY replicate good loads. As well as corresponding shooting charts to track your loads.

I have made the offer before, but I'm willing to email free sample charts to to any senior member of TFL, just send me a PM. Just keep in mind it's copyrighted so I don't want to see it posted.

It's in my signature line, even though it says 'rifle edition'. You could leave blank the fields related to bottleneck cartridges.

(Sorry for the shameless plug)

BTW, when testing loads you are looking at group size (precision) or how close the shots are to each other. Accuracy is how far your shots are to your POA.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:58 PM   #25
rodfac

I've kept good loading and shooting records since I first started loading my own in the early 60's. Since then I've accumulated over 50 years of data on a wide variety of rifles and handguns.

While shooting at a range or at home I keep a small notebook for details of the day's shooting: wind, time, weather, sun position, as well as grouping and sight adjustments. Until computers came along, I kept that information cataloged in my den bookshelves, but finding anything more than 6 months back was pain in the butt. I resorted by caliber, then by gun and that helped but the loose leaf notebooks often lost pages, got grease stained etc.

Enter the computer age, and I started logging it all on Excel spreadsheets and cut an pasting important articles into Word. It's a lot easier than it sounds even for a 68 yo grandfather who still wears a wind up watch. My sons convinced me to back up everything and to occasionally make hard copies...this I do daily, the back up part and it's saved me several times. I find it useful in helping friends, relatively new to shooting, as I can print a data sheet or article for them, even send it email...will wonders ever cease!

Here's a copy of one of my spread sheets....HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.