The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1
.243_Shooter

Good height for reloading bench

I am about to move into my new house and I will have an extra room to use for my reloading and shooting stuff. I plan on building a new reloading bench and was wondering how tall of a bench everyone else is using. The last one I had was too short causing me to have to bend over with every stroke of the ram. Also if anyone has any ideas for storage shelves and how to integrate them into the bench I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance
Old January 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
mumbo719

36 inches high works well for me.
Old January 8, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3
lamarw

I would suggest it should vary for the particular operator. What is good for me at 5' 9" may not be as comfortable for a 6' 4" person. I would start at about 30 inches. Also consider the height of the stool you will be using.

I also find it very comfortable to have a shelf or railing below the bench to put my feet on unless you have rungs on your stool.
Old January 8, 2012, 02:03 PM   #4
3kgt2nv

i like a higher bench so im not looking at the top of the press but more at the interaction of the dies/brass.

Im 6'2" and my bench top is 39 inches. with the dillon 650 this puts the press almost neck high when its mounted on the strong mount from them.
Old January 8, 2012, 03:26 PM   #5
.243_Shooter

Thanks for the replys, I'll have to find the chair im going to use and start from there.
Old January 8, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

from a production standpoint if standing you will be more alert and more productive.

personally i find then when i use a stool at my bench my production falls by about 1/3 because any movement away from the press takes longer and if its a rolling stool im less likely to stand up vs rolling to get something thats needed.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
savagelover

You know I often thought if I was standing up it would go better as well..So I stand up and do all the powder measureing,etc..And then set down and do the loading at the press..Works for me and i'm 62 years old....
Old January 8, 2012, 04:25 PM   #8
WIL TERRY

I do all my handloading work standing up. A measurement of 41" works just fine for me. That is what my elbow measures above the ground.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:25 PM   #9
jepp2

My rifle bench top is 30", my handgun bench top is 42" and both are perfect for me. I do use different height chairs for them. If you use a strong mount for a Dillon, the height could change a lot. Do you like to load standing up or sitting down? Remember it is easier to cut legs off than to add to them. So I would error on making it too tall rather than too short.

When do you intend to store on your shelves? Heavy items like bullets require different shelves than empty brass.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:32 PM   #10
.243_Shooter

I would like to store everything from bullets to cases, because I don't really have anywhere else to put everything. I do like the idea of a tall bench, like someonepostead I could always cut them off if I don't like it.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:42 PM   #11
jepp2

I like to store bullets on a shelf on the lower portion of the reloading bench. Make it the right height and it can serve as a foot rest. The dense weight down low, lowers the center of gravity of the bench and increases the stability of the bench.

For lighter items, the wall mounted racks (mount strips to studs and then either the solid or welded wire shelves can be adjusted as your storage needs change. But I wouldn't store loaded ammo or bullets on these type of shelves.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:45 PM   #12
3kgt2nv

when i was first figuring out how I wanted to set my bench up i looked at storage for cases and bullets and this is what i came up with. since this I have redone the electric so no comments about the wires

this put all the more common brass all cleaned and sorted at the bench and all the bullets are on top with no issues like shelves bowing or running out of space.

Quote:
I like to store bullets on a shelf on the lower portion of the reloading bench. Make it the right height and it can serve as a foot rest. The dense weight down low, lowers the center of gravity of the bench and increases the stability of the bench.
more bending and heavy lifting from a lower position leads to more stress and strain on your back though.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:07 PM   #13
hk33ka1

Mine is 40" I stand or sit on a bar stool. I build a variation of the NRMA bench.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...ench_plans.pdf
Old January 9, 2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Don P

As stated all according to what you feel comfy with. Its not a one size fits all thing. Here's my set up.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; January 10, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old January 9, 2012, 01:40 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

To find my ideal bench height, I started by finding the seating surface I wanted to use.

I ended up settling on a 24" bar stool.
Then, I decided how high I wanted my reloading press. For my Rock Chucker and Dillon 550, a 36" bench height seemed perfect.
(However, my Redding T-7 has different dimensions, and would be better at a height of about 34".)

Lastly, I decided how big I wanted the work surface to be. I determined that 30" deep, by 48" wide was ideal. (My bench was made to be movable, as we were in an apartment at the time.)

But... that 30" depth was a mistake. I hadn't thought about it at the time, but once the work surface was framed in, the bench was too wide to pass through most interior doors. What's worse, is that the bench was made out of a door slab, so that should have been an obvious consideration!
Having that extra depth is fantastic, but it's a nightmare to move (versus the seemingly standard depth of about 24"). I have to take door frames apart, to get my bench through.
If I were to do it again (and I might have a second bench built by Crankylove), I would go with a depth of no more than 28", unless I knew the bench wouldn't have to go through a small door for for a while (if ever).

Here, you've got a shot of the bench being stripped of all reloading gear, so it can be moved out of the house. ...Nothing special, but people like pictures.
The bottom shelf is for bullet storage. Having several hundred pounds of lead on there makes the bench very stable.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #16
savagelover

I wondered where my bench went to..I hope your enjoying it very much....ha ha
Old January 9, 2012, 04:38 PM   #17
HiBC

Something you might think about:
I dont use a conventional bench resting on the floor.I run two 2x12's floor to ceiling.Then I bolt a couple of short(24 in) pieces of 2x12,or 2x10,perpendicular,across those for joists to support a bench top.I use a couple 2x12's and lay a piece of sanded ply on for the top.You can double stick tape some linoleum or vinyl floor on the top for a skin.Any height you like.I have to work upright,hunching over kills me.I like the loading operations in the press to be at a height I can see them.

I attach a shelf under the crosspieces,to the bottom Its an easy reach under the bench,but make only a foot or 16 in wide,you want knee room under the bench.

I also screw a bicycle hanger hook,the vinyl covered ones with lag screw type threads,up under the bench,at a left and right hand width,under the press.

I cut the tops out of large size plastic laundry soap jugs,rinsed clean of soap.I hang the jugs under the bench by the handles on these hooks.They make a nice bin to put the brass in,one for "before" and one for "after" an operation.,except charging,when I can use a block.

I have found it is helpful to be able to drop my hand down to these under bench laundry jugs as it gives a moment of rest to the arms,instead of holding them up in front full time

As the 2x12 uprights go to the ceiling,a narrow riser shelf 14 in or so above the bench,like a 1x6 or 8,is useful at the rear of the bench.It can have holes for screwdrivers,allen wrenches,etc.

Now,between the uprights,higher you can put a 2x12 for a shelf.Manuals,die rack,etc.

Hang a flourescent fixture under,if you like.

This wall mount ,cantilever bench takes up little floor footprint and is easy to clean around.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:35 PM   #18
primerman

My production may or may not go down but my feet feel better if I use a chair/stool.