The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Bill Akins

Grandma's cold recipe.

We've had another windy cold front come through Florida and for the second time this winter, I've got that dang nagging sinus/chest congestion cold that usually drags on like walking pneumonia for days or even weeks. So tonight I dragged out my grandmother's cold/congestion recipe again.

2 fingers of Kentucky bourbon. A half shot of white wine vinegar (red wine vinegar will do just as well). A dash of molasses and a dash of honey. 20 to 25 secs in the microwave to make a hot toddy (grandma used a stove) and stirred to mix.

Not sure if it did my cold/congestion any good or not, but I can tell you that after the third one I'm feeling much better! The fourth one is heating up in the microwave right now. After that one I may still be sick but won't care Lol.

Being sick doesn't have to be a drag. Grandma knew what she was doing.

I may seem to be kidding, but actually the honey and vinegar are the real ingredients that make it work and help combat the illness. The Bourbon is just a little alcohol plus that you can leave out if you want, but why?
Vicks formula 44 has alcohol in it as do most cough suppressants. This recipe is better.

Grandma also took a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of vinegar every day. She was rarely sick. We should be so lucky.

She also taught me about the healing qualities of eating raw garlic. Last year my wife and I came down with some flu bug that had us both singing the blues and no pills would help. I peeled some raw garlic and we both ate four or five raw cloves on a piece of bread with mayonnaise and although we both smelled like a spaghetti factory the next day we were both well believe it or not!

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 13, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Bill Akins

Update, fourth one half down. Still partially congested but definitely feeling better, watching Glenn Ford and Randolph Scott in "The Desperados" western movie while twirling my BP revolvers over the couch cushions (just in case) . Who said being sick had to be bad? it's the little things that makes life nice.
Slowly and carefully nose breathing those warm vinegar fumes in the mix (CAREFULLY, it will take your breath away and strangle you if you aren't careful) does help to unstop the congestion. (About as good as vicks vaporub in a facial steamer). Try it. It works. Thanks Grandma. You still live through your teachings.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 13, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:11 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bless her soul. Even if the remedy didn't cure you, at least you'll feel better.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:37 PM   #4
g.willikers

Yeah, screw the damaging prescription meds.
Vinegar and honey is good.
Add some concentrated cherry juice extract and it's good for the joints and inflammation, too.
And the strong booze will cure a sore throat, even an infected one, right quick.
Nothing can live there afterwards.