The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2009, 05:35 PM   #26
FM12

Design your bench and add 50% to its length. Figure your storage needs and double that. Buy good stuff the first time. You'll never have too much working space or storage space. Never.
Old February 20, 2009, 04:55 PM   #27
James R. Burke

Bench

I think the pictures of the bench speak for themselves. Great bench set up. When I got into it the first thing I did was kind of figured out what I needed, and how it would be arranged. Then I built a real nice bench to work from, and store all my items. There are a ton of things you can get but stick to the basics starting out, and grow from there. The two favorite items I have are a RCBS trim mate station it will do the chamfering and deburring, primer pocket cleaning and uniforming, military crimp removal, and flash hole cleaning. Plus it has the brushes for the necks etc. Saves a ton on the labor. My second favorite item is a RCBS Trim Pro Power case trimmer that saves a lot on the labor also. But like I said I think the first item is to build a nice layed out bench out of the way in your own spot. Reloading is alot of fun, and this is a great site to get alot of info from. Have fun, and keep it safe.
Old February 20, 2009, 05:20 PM   #28
bfoosh006

More Room !
Old February 20, 2009, 06:27 PM   #29
warnerwh

It really depends on how much reloading you need to do whether you need a turret press or not, at least imo. I'm returning to loading after a several year haitus. I sold my Dillon XL650 4 years ago. With the Dillon I could crank out several hundred rounds an hour.

Being as my shooting will be limited compared to when I was single I ordered a Lee Classic Cast single stage press. Most ammo I reload is handgun ammo. If I end up shooting 500-1000 rounds a month I'll get a turret press. I'll still need a single stage anyway.

Before the Dillon I used a single stage RCBS press. I used the Lee primer feeder to prime, it's much faster and works fine. There's hand primers that also work well and are fast. I also used the Lee auto disk powder measure which drops a charge when you flare the case. Those two things sped things up considerably. This is only for pistol cartridges.

For rifle I used my RCBS single stage, not the Dillon. It is plenty fast for me even though I load rifle cartidges very meticulously. Starting with a single stage I believe is the way to start reloading. With a turret press it is easier to make a mistake. Just my .02
Old February 20, 2009, 06:53 PM   #30
ilovetoshoot

reloading supplies

Hello to the group.. Hoghead, You mentioned you have xtra reloading stuff you dont use, Im new to this also, and if you have any youd like to sell..or anyone else, I'd be interested. Thx in advance, ilovetoshoot