The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 10:08 AM   #76
paknheat

Well , I got a couple of friends who live in the Buffalo area that are packing up & looking to move out because of the new law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 16, 2013, 10:26 AM   #77
aarondhgraham

Left California in 1996,,,

I moved to California in 1975,,,
Lived in No-Cal for 19 years,,,
Moved to So-Cal in 1994,,,
Left for good in 1996.

I saw the way the wind was blowing against gun owners,,,
I decided to get out and go somewhere more friendly.

I moved to Oklahoma where I happily can own as many guns as I want,,,
And carry concealed or openly as my desire dictates.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 16, 2013, 10:55 AM   #78
PatientWolf

I moved from IL to NC in '96 for other reasons. I was surprised when I learned I didn't need to apply for a new FOID card. I was really happy when I learned that I could get a different type of card...
Old January 16, 2013, 11:07 AM   #79
jmortimer

"Once again the fact that people think moving away is the answer completely mind boggles me."

It is not "the" answer to the problem, merely a reaction to statism. I agree about family obligations, so stay within range and visit, but completely disagree that staying is the answer. If you are poor, save money as best as possible. Might take a few years, but I would rather be poor in a free state than be poor in shackles in a state of statism. If the people here in California want certain things that I disagree with, so be it. The ballot box is the scoreboard and elections have consequences. Trust me when I say that for sure, it will only get worse here in California for gun owners and never better in my lifetime or my children's and grandchildren's lifetimes. Demographics are another "scoreboard." It is done here, finished. I don't believe the Constitution will be respected. On a national level, I believe the tide has changed for many generations to come, but I believe there will be a few good states around for a few generations. Long term, I'm not optimistic on any level as it relates to personal freedom, especially with firearms, based on world unification.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:23 AM   #80
rickyrick

We have room for some New Yorkers in Texas. In fact I know a lot of folks that moved from there and never looked back.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #81
RedBowTies88

I'm going to texas if/when (more likely when) the poop really hits the fan. I'd rather stand should to shoulder with a million other americans and rifles then stay here and let them try and come take everything.

That said, nice as I'm sure texas is... I don't wanna live there..or anywhere but here.

This is my home... the rest of the country may have abandoned it, but I'm going to do everything I can to restore it.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:39 AM   #82
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88
Once again the fact that people think moving away is the answer completely mind boggles me.
The implication that we're not willing to fight is disconcerting, to say the least.

This isn't a new fight. It's being going on in this state since 1911 with the Sullivan Act.

The state has become more and more extreme left wing, because of the major population centers. Even if all of upstate NY voted "right wing", we'd lose to NY City.

Basically, we who don't believe in these things are overwhelmed by those who do.

This fight has been being fought for over 100 years.

Frankly, as soon as I can get it all together, which might be 6 months or 6 years, I'm gone. Someone else can fight the fight. I'm going somewhere that has rights I can fight to MAINTAIN, not beg an increasingly hostile political machine and clueless urban population to get them back.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:53 AM   #83
Patriot86

I am an Illinois resident and while I want to fight, the demographics don't add up here anymore.
The state is run by liberal anti gun Democrats. I am not trying to get into a political debate with anyone this is a known fact of Illinois politics. We are rapidly becoming more and more of a Single Party State.

Based on current demographical and urban-migratory trends the state is only going to become more laden with Democratic voters as time goes on. Rightly or Wrongly, the Republican and all other opposition parties seem unwilling to reinvent themselves to better fight back against the Democrats so here we are.

Those same Democrats who run this state, if only barley are going to become more and more bold(as they have with the last two elections) in their approach to infringing on the second amendment.

Like others have said, I see which way the wind is blowing. I am not going to live in a state where the only thing protecting my RTKBA is the courts. Where my politicians actively look to make me a criminal because I choose to own guns. Where as a lawful gun owner I am talked about in the same breath as gang bangers and mass shooters.

You guys in California and NY went through this 20-30 years ago and here is Illinois today. We are still a few years behind you guys but not many.

I have decided to "jump the border" to Wisconsin in the next couple of years. The drive to my job gets about 20-30 mins longer every day but its a sacrifice I am willing to make for lower cost of living, lower taxes, less invasive government and elected officials who do not view me as a criminal or threat because I exercise my second amendment rights.

It is 1187, I see the Saracens closing in and the ranks of the Crusaders thinning. The writing is on the wall. Its time to leave this once fine land I called home and move on for my sake and the sake of my family.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:58 AM   #84
breakingcontact

Quote:
What about those who are too poor to pick up and move?
Nothing to lose.

Escape the failed economy and strike out for a new financial future.

I moved to TX with next to nothing, very little money and have a good job, making more than the state I fled from. Glad I left, should have years ago.

That whole grass is always greener thing is tough though. Where you're at isn't entirely awful and the place you think you want to go isn't perfect.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:27 PM   #85
globemaster3

Inadvertantly! Prior to my deployment, I moved the family from IL to MO to be closer to friends and church. Never realized the impact that move would have!

Since, the IL legislature attempted to ban and confiscate my weapons, and now MO is looking to pass legislation ensuring the security of MO residents gun rights in light of the recent EO and federal gun legislation! Go MO!
Old January 16, 2013, 01:59 PM   #86
rickyrick

We have jobs that can't be filled right now, the energy sector is through the roof and has created a vacuum of energy jobs, and traditional work that people left behind.

I hope Texas will continue to uphold our rights.

If you come, you need two things: water and allergy meds. You won't read about mountain cedar, but in a couple of years you'll develop an alergy to it and you will know which way the wind is blowing when you wake up.

And if you can legally own guns, bring them too.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:28 PM   #87
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Was in the Chicago area in Illinois because of my job for 20 years but I have escaped back to Wisconsin. Wasn't perfect but it's getting better.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 16, 2013, 02:51 PM   #88
robertsig

While it is not normally thought of a 'gun' state, I'm pretty happy in Ohio. Nothing restricts me from doing what I want, except centerfire hunting. No registration, buy what I want, etc.

For someone younger, it works well. Cost of living is low and there are a decent amount of jobs due to many big cities (Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Cinci). I'm nicely situated in the Midwest without being too far East (NY, Mass) or anywhere near Illinois. Don't like Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota weather? Move to Southern Ohio. Many good school systems here too.
Old January 16, 2013, 03:03 PM   #89
bikerbill

I didn't specifically move here from CA because of gun laws, but when I retired and we were looking for a place to relocate (since nobody with SS and a pension can actually afford to live in other than poverty in CA), we looked at gun laws as part of a package of things we wanted, including year-round motorcycling weather, less expensive housing, low taxes (and of course no state income tax here) and friendly people. We found them all in Texas; applied for my CHL six months to the day after we arrived and have been happily carrying since 2004. I wouldn't move back to CA if they gave me a beach house in Malibu with Jerry Brown as my pool boy ...

And I second what rickyrick said; cedar fever is the absolute worst ... And Brian, move to Texas ... we have a town you'll love, near Austin .. Pfleugerville ...
Old January 16, 2013, 05:54 PM   #90
STW

I was more than happy to move back to Montana from California. In the seven years since I've been back three times - when my father died, a year later to take care of business incidental to his death, and to help a daughter move. The guns we have not on the California DOJ approved list are very satisfying.
We did not leave CA just because of guns but because it was becoming an out of control cancer in everyone's life. Gun laws were just one symptom.
Oh, we don't need a lot of others rushing up here. We're up over 7 per square mile as it is.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:21 PM   #91
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
And I second what rickyrick said; cedar fever is the absolute worst ... And Brian, move to Texas ... we have a town you'll love, near Austin .. Pfleugerville ...
Different family. They spell it wrong, Pflugerville.

I don't know. Texas is damn hot.

So is Florida.

Need to be able to get a job too.

I'm going somewhere though.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:30 PM   #92
Willie Sutton

The implication that we're not willing to fight is disconcerting, to say the least.

It's a tactical withdrawl. Tried and true method. Abandon the indefensible position and fall back to a prepared position to your rear.

New York is past help. The best way that you can "help" it is to leave, take your economic and intellectual value elsewhere, and let it continue to fail until it fails completely. At least then it can stand as a bad example. No reason to suffer thru it in person when you can simply watch the script play out on the stage in front of you.

Willie

Old January 17, 2013, 12:25 AM   #93
Sheriff Gotcha

I can agree that moving out of ones home shouldn't be necessary to gain the rights and freedoms we all deserve.

Wouldn't it start to raise a states eyebrow when they are losing some of their population/money and see that these "more free" states are gaining on their loss? Or are we such a minority it wouldn't even make a dent?

Brian:
one of my best friends moved to Texas a few years ago and his parent just retired and moved down their. From what they've told me they have good job availability and the cost of living is much lower than here in the northeast. Texas, Georgia and Wyoming are my top 3 states that I'm giving consideration to move too. I hear Arizona isn't bad either.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:47 AM   #94
Dragline45

Quote:
one of my best friends moved to Texas a few years ago and his parent just retired and moved down their. From what they've told me they have good job availability and the cost of living is much lower than here in the northeast. Texas, Georgia and Wyoming are my top 3 states that I'm giving consideration to move too. I hear Arizona isn't bad either.
Gotta say after visiting Texas it is certainly one of my favorite states. I would love to move down their one day from my current state, which happens to be Massachusetts, but my family means far too much to me to leave them behind. Maybe when I retire, which is a loooooong ways down the road.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:48 AM   #95
Buffalo444

Im moving to WY soon. man do I feel lucky.

sent from the rust monster
Old January 17, 2013, 02:16 AM   #96
Quincunx

When I graduated from medical school, I specifically began looking to move out of Maryland due to the "may issue" policy. As a physician (and given a couple of other circumstances in my favor), I had been told that getting myself a Maryland carry permit would be unlikely to pose much difficulty. However, rightly or wrongly, I had the uncomfortable feeling that I would be using privilege and nepotism to unfairly obtain something that should be available to all law-abiding citizens upon request. Hence, my moves to NC (briefly), then MS, and now here to WBGV.

Recently, though, I've sometimes contemplated moving back to the Old Line State and applying for that permit. If I obtained it, then there would be one more active permit in the state, and thus one more piece of evidence to counter the claims of those who espouse the view that carry permits lead inevitably to bloodbaths, etc. If I didn't obtain it, I guess I could always be another test case in the court system. In either situation, it could even(eventually) make a small contribution to others being able to more freely exercise their rights. That might be simply wishful thinking on my part, but who knows?
Old January 17, 2013, 04:45 AM   #97
Justice06RR

Quote:
What about those who are too poor to pick up and move?
Personally, I don't believe you can ever be "too poor".

All it takes is hard work (a lot of it) and motivation to get out of the hole you got yourself into in the first place. I know people who have had no parents, grew up on their own, and made it ok as adults. Many homeless people--no offense-- don't have to be homeless if they just picked up a job and worked hard instead of beggin on the streets. Doesn't matter if that job is at McDonalds or Landscaping, a job is a job, and beggars can't be choosers.

Quote:
I don't know. Texas is damn hot.

So is Florida.

Need to be able to get a job too.

I'm going somewhere though.
People can get used to the heat, and there are ways around it. Just as people can get used to the snow and extreme cold.

I have a landscaping business and have worked mowing grass since I was in high school; there are ways around the heat. I know heat like you wouldn't believe. I was also born in a 3rd world country. The US is spoiled.

Glad to hear you are going somewhere.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:52 AM   #98
rickyrick

Brian, there are several climates available in Texas, the winters in the panhandle can, at times, probably rival New York winters, but no trees. Trees come with steam here. A strategically placed pizzeria will do well here, and New York pizza seems to be popular.

Having been to Florida, they know how to do air conditioning much better though.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:41 AM   #99
therealdeal

I don't think I have replied to this thread yet...

I grew up in Massachusetts. I now reside in Virginia. Both states are amongst the only Commonwealths in the USA one can count on the Fingers they have on one hand. the move was a coincidence and happened years ago, but the differences are night and day. Amazingly (though it is probably nothing more than "in my head"), I would probably Feel Safe without a firearm living in an area I did as a child in Massachusetts but not in Virginia (bare in mind there is probably no difference except the comfort zone I grew up with & also bare in mind I will still choose to have a HD/SD firearm(s) for my family no matter where we live). this is just something I have noticed over a couple years and thought was interesting mindset.

*I also went to college in New Hampshire during my University years. I always realized NH was 'live free or die' and completely different than MA even though they were side by side and both New England states. Things are just different state to state no matter how close or how far

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old January 17, 2013, 10:40 AM   #100
Don P

Yep born in NY, NY- moved to PA- for awhile then back to NY- then to MA- and now in the sunshine state.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.