The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 17, 2015, 02:26 PM   #1
rebs

large steel box for storing ammo ?

I have ammo in ammo can. I also have a large steel box about 2" x 3" x 2" high. Would it be safe to store ammo in this steel box ? It also has a heavy hasp on it and I could lock it with a large padlock.

Do you guys have other options to store and lockup ammo ?
Old May 17, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2
burrhead

Unless its well vented you'll have a large bomb on your hands in case of a fire . Maybe one side made of expanded steel.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old May 17, 2015, 05:13 PM   #3
leadcounsel

I don't know about creating a bomb any more than an assortment of aerosol cans or gas cans or the gas line to the stove or water heater create....

I suppose if you're worried you could just "vent" it with a few holes drilled in the sides.

Keeping them in ammo cans is a prudent practice. A bigger lockable steel box would deter theft...
Old May 17, 2015, 05:30 PM   #4
burrhead

Saami would disagree. These are the recommendations for smokeless powder storage but they're close enough for this discussion.

"Storage cabinets should be constructed of insulating materials and
with a weak wall, seams or joints to provide an easy means of self venting."

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf

Seal a couple of ounces of powder in a steel box, throw in a fire and see what you get.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old May 17, 2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Pahoo

20MM Ammo steel cases.

Quote:
Would it be safe to store ammo in this steel box ?
At face value, I feel that they are a good idea and there are plenty of them out there that have stored ammo, for many years. ...

Then you list safety concerns and there are many conditions where they would not be safe regardless of what you do. I have a very secure and robust safe. Are my guns secured? SURE. Are they completely safe? Not really as a Pro could get in there if he thought is was worth his time. I mostly worry about the kids as I don't want them getting into trouble. ....

Under average conditions, your ammo would be safe. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 17, 2015, 08:38 PM   #6
boondocker385

I have used both steel and a surplus Civil Defense wood crate. Neither had ventilation.
Old May 18, 2015, 04:03 PM   #7
dyl

I have an old army surprlus ammo can with rubber gasket seal. If there is a fire, the seal will likely melt or burn so the can will no longer be airtight which is good. When a round of ammo cooks off, it makes a loud noise but the bullet and brass spins any which way as the energy is undirected. You would not have rounds sending a projectile flying miles away. That steel box in my opinion should do fine in normal circumstances and if it is not airtight even better if we're worrying about bomb-like action. Just make sure the area in general is dry and cool. Under these conditions a wooden box would do about the same. If it is damp and/or the box gets very cold you will have condensation.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:03 AM   #8
rebs

The steel box is not air tight, only the ammo cans inside would be air tight. I keep my guns in a gun safe and want to store my ammo locked up in a different place in my house. I figured that in the event of a fire any round that may ignite would be contained inside the steel box.
The wooden box for the powder is not air tight either and would vent or blow apart easily without creating a bomb effect.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:08 AM   #9
Pahoo

"Clunk" In the night !!!

A bit off track but in addition to a large 20mm steel storage can, I have about eight smaller .50cal steel boxes. Sometimes during the night, one of the smaller cans will go "Clunk". Just can't figure out which one. Now, they all have tight rubber seals but one or more is certainly breathing. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 19, 2015, 10:23 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
I also have a large steel box about 2" x 3" x 2" high.
Excuse me ignorance here, but I read the above measurements as 2 inches by 3 inches by 2 inches. Not very big for ammo storage
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:38 AM   #11
kilimanjaro

I saw that, too. If it is feet and not inches, my first comment is that once full of ammo, you're not going to be able to move the box.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:34 AM   #12
CowTowner

Something like this maybe?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FYJEaQodkWYAVg
Side box for an 18 wheeler
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy