The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 21, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
paulauster

Good trainning source for home defense? Book or video?

Hi to all.

This is my first post and I will appreciate if someone could help me with a recommendation of good books or videos about home defense with handguns.

I have taken firing lessons and had a good defense shooting instructor, but I believe that some additional knowledge (at least in theory) could be useful.

Particularly, about what to do and not to do, best tactics, and so on.

My view is using the handgun as last resort. First, I have bars in the windows and an alarm system. Personally, I believe that if someone surprises you inside your own home, your chances of resisting successfully are almost nonexistent, at least for someone that he/she is not an expert in hand-to-hand combat or shooting.
Old November 22, 2011, 03:48 PM   #2
shanzlik

Thunder Ranch's Defensive Thinking is pretty good for a basic start. It has room clearing techniques (but as a last resort), etc.

https://asaphost.com/thunderranchinc...ary=&keywords=

The Magpul Dynamics handgun DVD set is also good for general handgun defensive techniques.

http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN004/76
Old November 22, 2011, 06:11 PM   #3
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulauster
My view is using the handgun as last resort. First, I have bars in the windows and an alarm system. Personally, I believe that if someone surprises you inside your own home, your chances of resisting successfully are almost nonexistent, at least for someone that he/she is not an expert in hand-to-hand combat or shooting.
Have you considered hand to hand skills? I would suggest these as well. Nothing fancy, no need for too many "techniques" just simple blocks and deflections.

Any time you bring a weapon into play you increase the chances of getting hurt by one. In most houses the close range makes it easier to hit your target. Tactics will teach you where to start and how to place your actions in order. Few will teach you how to fight over a gun if they grab it. I always start myself at the worst case scenarios, then work back.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old November 22, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Lee McNelly

REFERENCE

JIM CIRILLO

Tags
handgun , home defense