The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 5, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
threegun

Friend breaks up an attempted robbery!

Guys I was just debriefed on what happened to my friend and coworker this weekend.

He owns 5 acres of some wooded property that he regularly spends time hunting, cleaning, camping etc. on. This trip was for some mowing and some target practice. He stopped at the neighborhood convenience store for some gas for the mower. He visits often enough that he and the store owner are friends. As he is talking with the store owner (who is open carrying) a man walks in. The shop owner immediately unsnapped his holstered pistol. My coworker immediately looked to the bad guy who was now moving toward the back of the store. My coworker didn't notice anything and asked the shop owner what was going on. The shop owner responded that the guy looked very suspiciously at him actually making his skin crawl and he had never seen him before so he was going to be ready. My coworker told the shop owner that he was also armed and the shop owner responded ok good. My coworker moved off the front counter and just stood to the right of the counter about 3ft to the side of the checkout area. The man walks up to the counter and my coworker sees not one but two gun bulges in his back waistband. My coworker now removes his Glock 23 from its holster (appendix area) and waits. The bad guy reaches toward his back pocket as if to get his wallet and instead begins to lift his shirt exposing the gun and allowing the tips of his fingers to fondle the gun on the right side. My coworker takes a giant step forward and places the muzzle of his 23 against the back of the bad guys neck and calmly tells him not to do that. The bad guy complies. My coworker disarms him, handing the guns to the shop owner who is also drawn down on the bad guy. this is the part that will make half of you say thats smart and the other half say what He tells the bad guy to walk away. Cops are called, guns are taken for evidence, permits are checked and adda boys handed out. Don't know if the suspect has been caught yet or not. Firearms were a 40 caliber of unknown type and a 1911 45acp of unknown maker. Both were loaded.

Chilling part is the bad guy was about to draw on a man who was open carrying. To me this means he was preparing for a shootout. My coworker has zero tactical experience and he felt it. Said he felt very unsure as to what to do. Thats why he let him go to end the threat. Had trouble sleeping last night as well.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
graysmoke

Were the bad guy(s) White, Latino, or Black?

I ask because, a mentality factor comes into play in a scenario like this.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:14 PM   #3
threegun

One perp that they know of and Black.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
jhenry

Very good situational awareness. I am glad all turned out well.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

My coworker has zero tactical experience

Well... not any more...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Rspeters

Sounds like this guy might make one of those "Worlds Dumbest Criminals" shows someday.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:48 PM   #7
TylerD45ACP

Intense. Glad all ended in favor of your coworker and the storeowner.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:52 PM   #8
threegun

Quote:
My coworker has zero tactical experience
Nope he still has zero tactical experience. Now he does have actual experience. He did a bunch of stuff wrong from allowing the gun to contact the bad guy (horrible for gun retention) to staying in the store when he thought it was unsafe.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:53 PM   #9
threegun

Quote:
Sounds like this guy might make one of those "Worlds Dumbest Criminals" shows someday.
Thank goodness for both of them.

Quote:
Intense. Glad all ended in favor of your coworker and the storeowner
Thanks
Old September 5, 2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Mobuck

I don't think I would have stepped so close to the BG especially with the store owner ready to draw/shoot. Whether you feel that the friend should have RUN AWAY leaving the store owner to face the BG or stay and assist is a very personal choice. If I felt even a slight amount of friendship with the owner, I certainly would have stayed but not so close to the likely conflict area. Some sort of cover or at least a doorway/corner would have been safer.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Discern

I hope the store owner has surveillance cameras inside and outside the store, and don't make all the cameras obvious. Having a surveillance system may really help in a situation like this. It could also help to back up the store owners statement if he felt the need to draw or draw and shoot.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Crazy88Fingers

Pressing the gun against the perp may be bad for retention. But the psychological effect is enormous, and immediate.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:42 PM   #13
kilimanjaro

He did the right thing, good for him.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:50 PM   #14
Pbearperry

The good guys were fortunate that the bad guy was a dummy and lacked training.It is much easier to disarm someone when he touches you with the gun than standing 5 feet away.This may not work a second time.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:59 PM   #15
skoro

Your friend did as well as could be expected. BG disarmed, everybody goes home with no new holes. That's a good outcome.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:02 PM   #16
TylerD45ACP

I think they did a good job under the High Stress situation. No one knows what they are really going to do in a situation like this. The gun that close to the head was a mistake but its what he thought to do right there and then. Under the duress I think they performed well.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:35 PM   #17
orionengnr

Sounds as if both he and the shop owner had good situational awareness, and devised an effective plan on the fly.
Good job.
Old September 5, 2011, 09:27 PM   #18
Nnobby45

Your friend had things work out ok, but getting close enough to be disarmed was poor tactics out of Hollywood--- especially making contact with the gun to neck. There are those I know, who could have disarmed him in 2 seconds--or at least engaged him in a life and death struggle with toss up outcome.

At that point, holding him on the floor for the police would have been better than inviting him to walk away. Allowing him to leave had he tried to flee would have been more sound.

Yes, I know, it's easy to judge when I wasn't there. Not saying I would have handled it better. Your friend had plenty of nerve. Take this as a post incident tactical critique.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:10 PM   #19
kaylorinhi

My critique or after action points have already been mentioned...

It takes a real set of coconuts to handle it like he did, free snickers bar and gas for him!
Old September 5, 2011, 11:12 PM   #20
chack

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysmoke
I ask because, a mentality factor comes into play in a scenario like this.
I'm curious about this. Maybe you should IM the response to me because the staff here likes to pretend that cultural differences that have a racial component should never play into situational awareness or the decision making process.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:30 PM   #21
American Eagle

Quote:
I'm curious about this. Maybe you should IM the response to me because the staff here likes to pretend that cultural differences that have a racial component should never play into situational awareness or the decision making process.
Do please go on and proceed to spew your racial stereotype garbage. I am a white Hispanic (born in Cuba) and I do not have any criminal record, nor does anyone in my family. Both my parents have Ph'D degrees in the US, and so do I. My cousin is an officer in the US Army. Our extended family's socioeconomic status ranges from Middle-Upper class all the way down to Upper-Middle Class. I do not have any tattoo, do not do drugs, and my daily wear is a business suit.

Glad to know that if I walk into the convenience store near you, and I spoke with my accent (since my accent is the one thing that says I'm not a typical white American) I could expect you to be in a corner with your hand on your pistol waiting to shoot me.

Before you spew more racial garbage remember that my ancestors (Spaniards) controlled half the world when yours were living in mud huts in Northern Europe using pigs for body heat.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:41 PM   #22
chack

Quote:
Do please go on and proceed to spew your racial stereotype garbage. I am a white Hispanic (born in Cuba) and I do not have any criminal record, nor does anyone in my family. Both my parents have Ph'D degrees in the US, and so do I. My cousin is an officer in the US Army. Our extended family's socioeconomic status ranges from Middle-Upper class all the way down to Upper-Middle Class. I do not have any tattoo, do not do drugs, and my daily wear is a business suit.

Glad to know that if I walk into the convenience store near you, and I spoke with my accent (since my accent is the one thing that says I'm not a typical white American) I could expect you to be in a corner with your hand on your pistol waiting to shoot me.

Before you spew more racial garbage remember that my ancestors (Spaniards) controlled half the world when yours were living in mud huts in Northern Europe using pigs for body heat.
American eagle, I hope you aren't directing your hostility toward me. That's the way your post seemed, and your statement above offends me. some of my ancestors were barbarians when my other ancestors were colonizing the Iberian penninsula (spain, portugal, etc) and still others were living in tepees in the great plains.

I guess toothless rednecks (another stereotype) aren't the only ones that are guilty of prejudices.
I was just trying to understand his statement and recognizing that discussing the comment I quoted would likely result in this thread getting locked.

I won't mention it anymore because it would result in thread drift and people around here get too sensitive about any topic that touches on the major politically correct themes.

Last edited by chack; September 5, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:47 PM   #23
American Eagle

Chack...it is not about being PC. I am more un-PC than most Americans, but there is something bad to be said about a man who automatically judges others because they are a different race/religion/ethnicity than him, instead of judging others based on their character, behavior, and demeanor.

That's all I have to say. If you guys want to continue with stereotypes, do go on. I won't be bothered to comment on this thread anymore.
Old September 6, 2011, 12:04 AM   #24
Mr. James

Don't be silly, American Eagle,

It's not different race/blahblahblah, really. It gets to character. You walk into some situations and you know, "these guys are bad news." I was once chased down a downtown Seattle street by a gang of blacks because, by their own admission, I was a "white mother******, and deserved to have [my] ass beat." Of course, there was the time I was attacked by a Philippino dude, with his posse in close tow, because I was a white [insert epithet here], and deserved to have my ass beat. I was chased at dead sprint by a gang down a Kiev street armed only with a Spiderco knife that, to my surprise, made it through the local airway's security. I was chased because I deserved to be robbed or killed or both. I was chased at a dead spring by a gang through an area outside Pretoria not even armed with a Spyderco knife. Chased to be robbed or killed. I once took flight with some Brazilian criminals in hot pursuit. I deserve all the blame for that one - that was just plain stupid. I'll let you guess the racial makeup of my would-be assailants in each incident. Don't be so quite so sure.

Why was I running? I didn't feel like going to jail. Especially overseas.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old September 6, 2011, 12:18 AM   #25
American Eagle

Mr. James...IT IS indeed about character. Anyone of any race is capable of being good or evil. I've come across plenty of white murderers, white rapists, white child abusers, and white thugs in my daily practice....just like I've come across plenty of murderers and thugs of practically any race and ethnicity you could ever think of. My mentor, who is one of the finest attorneys and the most outstanding human beings that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing happens to be a black man.

I am also surprised to hear you've been attacked so frequently overseas. You are not a CIA agent, are you? I've been all over Europe and to several places in South America, and I have never been threatened or attacked by anyone. And no, I do not stay in tourist resorts. I like to live just like the locals everywhere I go.

Last edited by American Eagle; September 6, 2011 at 01:27 AM.
Closed Thread