The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 03:40 AM   #1
brinky

Location: Cedar Springs, MI. 20 Miles due north of Grand Rapids
9.3x74R Ruger #1

I've been digging around and checking on this combo. Does anyone shoot this rifle/cartridge combo? If so does it lend itself to magnum loads like so many have done with the 45-70 in the Ruger #1 rifles. I believe most of the factory loads run 40,000-45,000 cup. Can you run this cartridge up to 50,000 cup safely in the #1?
Old August 5, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Scorch

9.3X74Rmm loads are kept pretty tame because it is used in European drilling guns and stalking rifles, which are generally not exceptionally strong actions. I am sure you could load it up a bit in a Ruger #1, but would there be any advantage to doing so? If you just want a 9.3mm rifle, the 9.3X62mm is a lot more powerful and is an easy rechamber project with a bolt action rifle (standard bolt face, standard action length).
Old August 6, 2009, 03:19 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

hmm, the 9.3 x 62 is pretty much in the same league as the 9.3 x 74R (around 5000 J). If you really want the powerful 9.3 you need the 9.3 x 64 Brenneke (6000 J), and while that one fits in the standard action, brass is a pain to get, in the US at least.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Ruger4570

I doubt you are going to load much of anything that will hurt a #1. These are incredably strong actions. I would think you would have brass failure long before the #1 quit on you.
I haver a 45-70 and have loaded all the way up to max loads published. The ruger was just fine, I wasn't. Some of those loads are just not meant to be fired off of a bench. I expect that since the #1 is or has been chambered in most ever powerful round out there, including the 458 Win. I doubt any of my hot loaded 45-70 will be a problem. Of course there is something to be said for SANE loads.
Your 9.3, I am sure can be loaded up for a #1, as I said, you will probably find failure of the brass long before any problem with the gun.
Good luck too.
Old August 6, 2009, 10:06 PM   #5
csmsss

The problem with hot loading any cartridge, regardless of the strength of the rifle's action, is that extraction will become more and more difficult as max pressures are met and exceeded. Even if you do no damage to the rifle, you may find it impossible to make that followup shot if you are unable to get the spent cartridge out of the chamber quickly.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Huey 22122

9.3 x 74r RWS old cartridges and box

where is the best place to sell a 10 round box of RWS (apparently original Rheinisch-Westfälischen Sprengstoff-Fabriken ) ? 9 rounds or "stuck" look shootable, one is cracked at the neck.