The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 15, 2010, 07:17 PM   #1
EdInk

Mossberg Pump Pics

As I posted in another thread I've been wanting a Saiga-12 shotgun but am now giving consideration to the Mossberg 500 based on it's solid reputation.

I know they can be customized alot and would like to see pics of your
Moseberg shotguns and get opinions on which accessories are worth adding to one.
Old May 15, 2010, 07:21 PM   #2
hoytinak

My nothin' special Mossberg 500. I've tried just about every "tactical" style stock for it trying to make it the perfect HD shotgun but finally came back around to just shortening the factory wood stock a little to fit me better. I should have just gone this from the beginning, would have saved myself lots of cash and headaches.

Old May 15, 2010, 09:51 PM   #3
EdInk

I hadn't really considered the wood hardware. Looks nice.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
KMO

Set up for home defense...My wood stock & 28-inch barrel install in minutes if I want to shoot clays...

Old May 15, 2010, 10:29 PM   #5
EdInk

I like the side saddle. How quick can you guys reload them.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:30 PM   #6
noyes

Best mod PRACTICE , PRACTICE and PRACTICE some more.
2nd mod. 590 heavy barrel with Accu Chokes.

Last edited by noyes; May 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:42 PM   #7
noyes

Quote:
How quick can you guys reload them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3E5wtmWCk4
Old May 16, 2010, 12:03 AM   #8
EdInk

Do you have another view of the bayonet attachment? Where did you get it?
Old May 16, 2010, 02:00 AM   #9
KnightofCydonia

How did you get the 590 barrel to accept Accu-chokes? Gunsmith or Custom?
Old May 16, 2010, 08:00 AM   #10
noyes

Quote:
Do you have another view of the bayonet attachment? Where did you get it?
Mossberg 590 's come with bayonet lug.

Quote:
How did you get the 590 barrel to accept Accu-chokes? Gunsmith or Custom?

2 Places sell the barrels that i know of.

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/cgi...+Barrels+590A1

&

or call
http://www.pro-patria.us/home

Last edited by noyes; May 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:50 PM   #11
DHart

HOYTINAK wrote:
"My nothin' special Mossberg 500. I've tried just about every "tactical" style stock for it trying to make it the perfect HD shotgun but finally came back around to just shortening the factory wood stock a little to fit me better. I should have just gone this from the beginning, would have saved myself lots of cash and headaches."

Your wood furniture 18.5" 500 is SWEET! That's JUST how I like my pump shotguns. Good quality recoil pad makes a great difference.

KMO....
what is the bracket that holding your light? I need to bag one of those. Looks like it would hold any number of different flashlight models.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:11 AM   #12
KMO

Quote:
KMO....
what is the bracket that holding your light? I need to bag one of those. Looks like it would hold any number of different flashlight models.
Well, don't get too excited...it's junk. If you can find a metal one, go for it, but don't get a plastic one. Two rounds fired & it went sideways on me. I tightened it to its extreme torque, and the same thing happened after two more rounds. These plastic clamps just can't handle a 12-gauge recoil. I chose not to replace it...no sense illuminating my position....
Old May 17, 2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ed, the only things a box stock 500 needs are ammo and range time. Once you've put several cases of shells through yours, you'll be in a better place to determine what you need as far as accessories go.

Shotgun bling adds little to effectiveness. Some accessories, like the egregious pistol grips sans stocks, actually REDUCE effectiveness.

Shootheheckout of your 500 for a while.Once it feels like a body part, then add stuff.

If you still want to.....
Old May 17, 2010, 02:24 PM   #14
DHart

Quote:
KMO....
Well, don't get too excited...it's junk. If you can find a metal one, go for it, but don't get a plastic one. Two rounds fired & it went sideways on me. I tightened it to its extreme torque, and the same thing happened after two more rounds. These plastic clamps just can't handle a 12-gauge recoil. I chose not to replace it...no sense illuminating my position....
KMO... thanks for that.

Quote:
Ed, the only things a box stock 500 needs are ammo and range time. Once you've put several cases of shells through yours, you'll be in a better place to determine what you need as far as accessories go.

Shotgun bling adds little to effectiveness. Some accessories, like the egregious pistol grips sans stocks, actually REDUCE effectiveness.

Shootheheckout of your 500 for a while.Once it feels like a body part, then add stuff.

If you still want to.....
Agree.... I think some folks pile so much crap on the gun that it no longer can be handled with ease and quick fluidity. I like my shotguns as basic as possible. Generally, that's all a homeowner is likely to need.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:50 PM   #15
rantingredneck

Well, if I could get either my camera or photobucket to cooperate I'd post pics of all my Mossberg pump guns (3). As it is here are two:

Mossberg 835 24" Accumag
Mossberg 500 24" Accuchoke

Both in OFM Woodland camo. Both hunting guns that I'd have no problem defending my home with. The 835 has taken everything from doves to deer. The 500 I've only had a few months and it will see use this fall I'm sure.

The other gun that is not pictured is my 18.5" blued/wood 500. I replaced the standard 18.5" Cyl bore barrel with heavy wall 18.5" Accuchoke barrel and it currently has a modified choke installed. It has a 6 round sidesaddle full of Remington Managed Recoil 00 with another 5 in the magazine. My wife handles this gun/ammo combo well and it patterns well out to 25 yds. I actually took a deer with this gun/load 11 weeks after spine surgery when this short barreled shotgun shooting powder puff loads was about all I could handle.

EDIT: Photobucket finally decided to cooperate.......

As others have said, fight the urge to break out the TacStar/ATI catalogue and over mod your gun.........The most important modification to a new shotgun is wear marks.......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Last edited by rantingredneck; May 17, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:08 PM   #16
loverme85

These guns are so cool !!! Where do you get the attachments?