The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Olibobwa

I got my first press, a set of dies, and some brass.

Time to get some boolitz, primerz, & powder; but which do I need??

Questions:

1. Cheapest place to buy non lead 10mm bullets?

2. What kind of primers for a 10mm?

3. What kind of powder?

I lean towards the heavier 175-180 grain bullets. Don't know if that makes any difference in regards to primer and powder...

Also, is it troublesome to buy powder & primers off of the internet??
Old July 14, 2010, 11:04 PM   #2
isanchez2008

The trouble in buying powder off of the internet is not the purchase itself but the hazmat fee that is around $25 on top of the cost of the powder. Did you happen to include a reloading book in your purchase of reloading supplies? If not then it would be wise buy one and to read it. Not only will it tell you what primers but give you different powders for that particular brand of bullet. I like the smaller books put out by Loadbooks USA. It is a compilation of different manufactures data.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3
rtpzwms

1 I'm sure that others will post there sources but I've been using Berry's for a few years and as long as you get at least copper plated you won't see any leading.
2 small pistol primers I've used both Winchester and CCI and both have done well.
3 powder well you have a LOT of options there. I've used bluedot, reddot, clays, unique, bullseye. and here too I'm sure others will add to this list. But open your reloading manual and look at the 40s&w data and correlate that with what you get here and you'll find a good one. you might want to start with two powders so you can get a feel for the differences. If you post you final choices here I'm sure you will get some interesting reasons to choose one over another.
You can buy powder, and primers over the internet but will have to pay a hazmat fee. I would just go to your local store at first the fee for my area is 22.50. I order via the net when I need 8lbs of a couple of powders and then I make sure to order a LOT of primers as well. The bullets don't have any hazmat fee yet...

Good luck and welcome to the dark side.

BYW: check the tires on your car you'll be going to the range a LOT more!!!
Old July 14, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
riverwalker76

Powder Valley is a great source for primers and powder if you buy in bulk. You don't even notice the Hazmat fee if you figure in tax on the same purchase if you were to buy locally.

Midway always runs specials on the bullets. I always tab between Midway and Natchez when looking for jacketed bullets. Then again ... I cast my own lead boolits, so it's not that often I'm in the market for naked copper.

I don't shoot 10mm, but a lot of people I know do and they like Clays, Titegroup, and Winchester Autocomp. SOmeone else will chime in here that does shoot 10mm soon enough.

Good luck.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a reloading manual? If not, you definitely need to get one.

Powder Valley is one of the best places online to get powder and primers. It's not "a pain" but the shipping cost is prohibitive unless you're buying several pounds of powder and several thousand primers.

Rocky Mountain Reloading is a good place to get bullets, as is Montana Gold, which is believe is the brand sold RMR.

10mm uses large pistol primers.

There are many powders to choose from. Your reloading manual will list several that are appropriate. Power Pistol and 800x are popular for 10mm.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:22 PM   #6
rtpzwms

peetzakilla I think you might want to double check the large pistol primers. Unless of course you might have an unusual brass. I have seen that on 45acp. most would agree that 45 use lpp but I have 50 rounds that use spp! I say that because of the 1700 loaded 40s&w I've got loaded in the garage all have spp's. But I might have the odd brass.

I will also add an echo to everyone else if you don't have a manual GET ONE! Hard copy or software the choice is yours but you really have to have one and its not for a door stop!
Old July 14, 2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
peetzakilla I think you might want to double check the large pistol primers. Unless of course you might have an unusual brass. I have seen that on 45acp. most would agree that 45 use lpp but I have 50 rounds that use spp! I say that because of the 1700 loaded 40s&w I've got loaded in the garage all have spp's. But I might have the odd brass.
10mm definitely uses large primers... I have a whole pile of both brass and primers for 10mm....

40 uses small, 10 uses large.

In fact, TFL member Clark is actively searching for the legendary 10mm brass that used small primers. If you find any, let him know. It was produced in limited quantities very early after the 10mm was developed, if I remember the story correctly.
Old July 14, 2010, 11:41 PM   #8
rtpzwms

i stand corrected!
Old July 15, 2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Fullthrottle

I know I am repeating this but it is very important.........Get a reloading manual and read it again and again!

Once that is out of the way, I find Rocky Mountian Reloading.com to be a good deal for bullets that are copper plated (they do have some jacketed), another option for bullets is First Class Bullets and Brass.com to also have good prices and fast shipping.

I would agree with other posters that for starting out buy locally until you know what you like(and your gun likes) then if you want it in bulk you might do better online.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:44 PM   #10
DiscoRacing

cast 175grain trunicated cone bullets,,,cci primers,,,hodgen titegroup powder,,, is what I use,, for my 40
Old July 15, 2010, 09:54 PM   #11
TXGunNut

Did anyone mention getting a manual and reading it? I disagree. Get two! I buy my powder and primers locally and that's getting easier these days. I generally keep a year's supply on hand, have done so for years. I have some Berry's bullets but haven't used them yet, lots of folks around here have had good experience with them.
And of course, welcome to the asylum!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 16, 2010, 12:10 AM   #12
Olibobwa

Ok, cool. What you guys say makes a lot of sense. I think what I'll do is try to sniff out a reloading manual (or 2) online, and then pickup a few different powders and bullets at the gun show next weekend.

Is there a big difference between different brands of primers? Might stock up to dodge the hazmat.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:05 PM   #13
noylj

10mm Bullets

First, is it for a .40S&W or a 10mm Auto? The .40 uses small pistol primers and the 10mm uses large.
Second, if all you want are inexpensive "jacketed" bullets, then Rainier or Berry's plated.
Third, if you want inexpensive bullets, make the largest bulk purchase you can.
Personally, my reason for reloading is the get the most accuracy out of my guns, so I start by buying 100 of each bullet I am interested and using them with various powders.
If you are loading for the .40 and lean towards the heavier bullets, you will want a high bulk density, medium pistol powder. The range I would look at is:
Alliant Power Pistol
VihtaVuori N330
Winchester WSF
VihtaVuori N340
IMR Hi-Skor 800-X
IMR SR4756
Accurate Arms #5
Hodgdon HS-6
Winchester AutoComp
VihtaVuori 3N37
VihtaVuori N350
Don't remember if you mentioned the gun, but the .40 has a slightly nasty reputation, based on some guns that have rather oversized chambers with minimal support for the case, of going Ka-Boom--such that I found myself unable to compete because the rules had suddenly become .40s shot factory ammunition only.
Next, you can find recipes for 180-200 gn bullets, but I would not want to go above 175gn unless I had a really good reason. You are losing space in the case rather quicly with the heavier bullets.
General recommendation is do not pick up range brass (particularly if it shows any trace of a bulge or the rectangular firing pin strike of a Glock). Buy new brass and work up your loads carefully looking for any pressure signs--particularly any case bulges. Do not reload cases that are bulged.
For the .40, I would recommend reading several reloading manuals and learning all the pressure signs.
The 10mm Auto is a lot "easier" to reload for. It was designed for high performance, and then it got downloaded such that the published data is, to the best of my knowledge, quite safe. I have never sectioned a case, but the cases just seem "stronger" or more rugged. I have never had any pressure issues in my 10mm Autos. It doesn't require magnum primers. Powders that I find work well are:
VihtaVuori 3N37
VihtaVuori N350
VihtaVuori 3N38
Accurate Arms #7
Hodgdon LONGSHOT
Accurate Arms #9
Most pistol powders will work, but these seem to be about the best for accuracy vs power.

Last edited by noylj; July 16, 2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added some 10mm Auto opinion
Old July 16, 2010, 07:08 PM   #14
oneounceload

Besides you getting several manuals, a SCALE is necessary, as are a few other items. You do not sound any where near to be ready to make ammunition
Old July 16, 2010, 08:45 PM   #15
TXGunNut

^^^^ +1, missed that. Could make do with scoops but can't recommend it with this caliber. Besides, scales are fun to play with!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 17, 2010, 04:52 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

safe cheap 10mm

Rainier 180g TCJ-FP.
Alliant Power Pistol.
CCI300 or WLP.
Starline cases.

Not-cheap 10mm: Vihtavuori Oy N350.
Hornady 180g XTP-HP.
CCI300.
Winchester cases.