The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2010, 02:15 AM   #1
engineermike

Denied at the background check

I struck a deal with a local dealer to purchase a hand gun, I filled out the paper work and the dealer makes a call. He came back and said he could not sell me the gun as I had be denied at the back ground check. I went down the list of things that would have prevented me from purchasing a hand gun and saw none that pertained to me. The dealer said I could appeal but he did not have the pamplet that told me what I would have to do to appeal. Does this mean I'll never be able to buy a gun?
Old July 10, 2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Florida Cracker

Absolutely not, make the effort and file the appeal. This is a frequent occurrence (at least here in Florida) for those who have fairly common names.

It doesn't necessarily mean you were denied, it means they didn't approve you.
Old July 10, 2010, 03:25 AM   #3
engineermike

I did not give them my ssn, would that have made a difference?
Old July 10, 2010, 03:27 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

NO. I never give mine.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:32 AM   #5
thallub

Quote:
This is a frequent occurrence (at least here in Florida) for those who have fairly common names.

If you have a common name, the social security number can make all the difference. The SSN on the form can prevent you, an outstanding law abiding citizen, from being mistaken for a convicted serial axe murderer with the same name.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:36 AM   #6
blume357

First, we have to throw the 2nd out of the equation.... has nothing to do with the

original question. The way things 'aught to be' has nothing to do with this person's current dilemma.

If you are not a convicted felon (penalty could have resulted in over a year in prison) or have been convicted of domestic violence then you can own a gun*.... and we assume you are over 21 and a resident of the same state as the seller (he would not have let you fill out the form if either of those were not so).

*it's actually more complicated than that, but don't fret it.

It is more than likely just government name matching or you coming close on a list somewhere....

I would have put my SS# on it and that might have helped, can't see how it would hurt... if you think the folks on the other end of the line who are working for the government can't get it, then... I'm sorry must be a different world.

You need to follow up on it. is not a question that needs to be left hanging.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:43 AM   #7
n7qvu

I would go back to the dealer and ask them to re-run NICS with your SSN added. If it is again denied, then obtain the transaction number, which WILL be needed for an appeal.
Good luck.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Florida Cracker

Quote:
The state has nothing to do with it because the OP is from Oklahoma. Oklahoma is a free state that does not require a background check to buy a firearm. It is a Federal issue.
Here in Florida, the check is being run through FDLE (a state agency) but I'm reasonably certain they too are obtaining the information through/from the NICS database.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Jimmy10mm

I'm in FL, have a CCP, and recently bought a couple of pistols a couple of weeks apart. I didn't give my SS# because of the principal of the thing and was allowed to purchase. It is probably easier if you already have a CCP but I'm unsure if that would make a difference. The fact that your name may be similar to that of someone with legal issues may have been the deciding factor so I would appeal for sure.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:17 AM   #10
AirForceShooter

I have a common name
I always put my SS# in

AFS
Old July 10, 2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Guys,

The government already knows your SS number.... they GAVE IT TO YOU!

There is no "principle of the thing". There is positively no reason not to put it on these forms and there are good reasons, as the OP found out, for putting it on.

If you don't want to use your SS number in other ways as a form of ID "for the principle of it" then, fine, do as you wish. In this case, it's silly.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Microgunner

Quote:
The government already knows your SS number.... they GAVE IT TO YOU! There is positively no reason not to put it on these forms and there are good reasons, as the OP found out
I agree. The agencies running the background check still won't be able to differentiate you from the bad guy with the same name because he has a SS# also. When giving your SS# you distinguish yourself from him.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:42 AM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Instructions for the appeal process are here. Call the dealer and request your NTN (transaction) number. It should be a sequence like 1L23-D12.

There can be any number of administrative snafus causing this, so it doesn't hurt to get it cleared up.
Old July 10, 2010, 05:45 PM   #14
engineermike

I trust the govenment with my ssn but I am a little suspect of the dealer. He has not returned my call giving me the transaction number yet. But the paper work went from me to him and he giving it to the person checking over the phone and that person putting the information into some computer so there is plenty of room for mistakes.
Old July 10, 2010, 06:10 PM   #15
nate45

Try going to another dealer, or asking your local police, or sheriff dept. to run your name and lic. # to see if anything comes back.

As far as providing your SSN goes, I would think the odds of it being stolen during this process would be small indeed.
Old July 10, 2010, 07:18 PM   #16
NCW Ray

Maybe this will help you:

NICS Appeals Brochure

NICS: The National Instant Criminal Background Check System
Old July 10, 2010, 07:41 PM   #17
surbat6

Quote:
I would go back to the dealer and ask them to re-run NICS with your SSN added. If it is again denied, then obtain the transaction number, which WILL be needed for an appeal.
I work part-time in a PA gun shop. I don't know about other states, but we will not re-run a background check. The buyer has to file the appeal with the Pennsylvania State Police. We give the denied buyer an appeal form to fill out and send in.

Quote:
Try going to another dealer, or asking your local police, or sheriff dept. to run your name and lic. # to see if anything comes back.
If OP has a buddy on the force, this could be one way of finding out the nature of the problem, but otherwise, unless the buyer is VERY sure he hasn't got a warrant or a PFA against him, this could be a good way to check in at the graybar hotel. Going to another dealer and trying to make a purchase after denial could end badly. It could be perceived as a prohibited person trying to make an illegal purchase. File the appeal and get the record corrected!

Quote:
Absolutely not, make the effort and file the appeal. This is a frequent occurrence (at least here in Florida) for those who have fairly common names.
True! File the appeal within the allotted time frame. If you are, in fact, not prohibited, the appeal process will correct the mistake that got you a denial in the first place.
Old July 10, 2010, 08:06 PM   #18
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbat6 View Post
Going to another dealer and trying to make a purchase after denial could end badly. It could be perceived as a prohibited person trying to make an illegal purchase. File the appeal and get the record corrected!
Yes, that could present that type of problem, best to follow proper procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surbat6 View Post
unless the buyer is VERY sure he hasn't got a warrant or a PFA against him, this could be a good way to check in at the graybar hotel.
Well, if the OP does have an outstanding warrant, or some other problem, then he/she needs to take care of it.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:46 PM   #19
engineermike

I just sent my appeal off to [email protected] we'll see what happens.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:57 PM   #20
Florida Cracker

I wish you success Mike.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Like any other bureaucracy, each little dept. only knows what it knows, and they don't share with each other, except as prescribed by their procedures.

I do not believe (based on the info given) that you were denied. What happened is that you were not approved. It is not the same thing, although it has the same effect, in that you don't get the gun that day.

Anything that "flags" your name will result in a delay. Not a denial. That is most likely what has happened. Confusion with another or the same name is the most common cause, but there are many others. I have a friend who found out he was "flagged". The reason? He held a govt. security clearance! Once he went through the appeal process, so that the reason for the flag on his file was explained to the people giving the approval over the phone, all his subsequent purchases went through OK.

You see, when they call it in, the clerk on the other end of the phone punches up your file, and all they see is either flagged or not. No flag means an automaticm approval. A flag on the file means something has to looked at. In many cases, a delay so they can look at the file is cleared up, and you are approved a little later. It may be minutes, or could be days, depending on a lot of factors. Going through the appeals process means they have to clear it up, and once that happens, it is noted so the next time, the same thing won't happen again (or at least, that's how it should work).

Don't let this pass. Get it cleared up.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:50 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I have a friend who found out he was "flagged". The reason? He held a govt. security clearance!
I'm trying to be surprised by that... but after working for the federal government, it would almost be more surprising if they DIDN'T do something stupid.
Old July 12, 2010, 08:53 PM   #23
DiscoRacing

I have a common name..about as common as it gets...and the two times that I didnt put my ssn...are the only two times that I was delayed... tho may be coincidence.
Old July 12, 2010, 10:07 PM   #24
engineermike

DiscoRacing is a common name? Well I do live in Oklahoma but I have to say the "Denied" and "Delayed" are two destinct and different words, even with the accent. I have yet to be contacted by the dealer that he can sell me a gun, so how many days does one have to wait if delayed. I do however hold a federal license and I do see where that could have flagged me but not denied me for a purchase of a hand gun. I did recieve notice from the goernment that my appeal is being looked into and I will have written notice withing five working days. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Mike
Old July 12, 2010, 10:09 PM   #25
DiscoRacing

Quote:
DiscoRacing is a common name
Nope... thats our motocross team name... but my name,,,Bob, is pretty common... sorry about the previous post...missed the denied..