The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 18, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1
U.S.SFC_RET

M-1911-A1 US-Army .45 Cal Semi Auto Trainer?

I have never seen one of these until today when I picked it up at a gunshow. The guy said it was a trainer and he trained LEOs with it.
On the slide it reads

M-1911-A1 Autoloading Pistol
Caliber 45 US-Army Model

Made in Japan but no serial #
It looks like a real honest to goodness 1911A1 Colt 45 Pistol and feels like it as well. I googled and only got a response from one selling one of these trainers in Australia for $250.00.
Anyone know about em? What they might be worth?
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old August 18, 2007, 11:31 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am sure someone with superior knowledge will "instruct" me, but I never heard of a U.S. Army "training" pistol. For familiarization firing and basic training the Army always uses real guns. Simulated gun systems are used in some places, but they are part of an elaborate electronic system, not just dummy guns.

Non-firing dummy (or "replica") guns are made and sold in Japan for collections because the law bans possession of handguns by anyone except government officials. Many have been sold here to those who want an impressive, but harmless, gun display. Some have been bought by kids and others who can't legally buy guns, and they have sometimes been used illegally. The type you describe used to sell for around $50-60 and AFAIK have not gone up significantly.

Certainly dummy guns are used in training LEO's, but most of them are bright colored plastic and not as expensive or realistic as those Japanese replicas.

Of note is that the British police, well known for random shooting sprees and killing innocent people, are now demanding a ban on sale and possession of dummy guns and anything that can be taken for a gun of any kind. They claim, as usual, the need to "reduce crime." Maybe it is the police "dummies" who should be restricted to dummy guns.

Jim
Old August 18, 2007, 12:04 PM   #3
RJay

It's just a non firing copy for collectors who don't want or can't have the real thing. It's not made to be a trainer but of course it can be used for that. These very realistic firearm copies come in a number of different firearm models, such as the 1911, Luger's, MP-40, Thomson's and a least a dozen more.,. They have the weight, working action and details of the originals. They also make a blank firing copy that will fire and eject special blanks. Because they are non firing and can not be made to fire live ammo they can be purchased through the mail. If you start googling you can find a vast array of counterfeit firearms. The dealer was blowing smoke to enhance a sale, for 250 you can buy one brand new with change left over. Look under counterfeit firearms. non-firing collector firearms, so on and so on.
Old August 18, 2007, 01:57 PM   #4
U.S.SFC_RET

Well after owning a couple of 45s and putting 20 in the Army I was impressed with the fit and finish and picked it up for $40. I can't really complain, I know the guy who sold it to me, he trained LEOs with it. The cotton pickin thing looks so real I would have to say either I sell my pistols or lock this one up in the safe, I'd hate to get confused as to which is which. The look and feel is very close. I might make a case for it and place it in the bar.
Old August 18, 2007, 07:23 PM   #5
RJay

Yes, I have several of these type guns. They will fool 90 % of the people who handle them. I have seen these guns ( stolen of course) sold for the real things on the streets. Johnny Gang banger go's nuts trying to load live ammo in them. BTW 26 yrs wearing the green.
Old August 23, 2007, 08:41 PM   #6
U.S.SFC_RET

I know, fooled me at first that's why I bought it. For the novelty.
Where can I get the blanks?
Old August 24, 2007, 12:06 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The only one of those replicas that fooled me at anything like close range was the copy of the British Pistol Revolver No. 2 Mk1. The copy has a poorly fitting sideplate, a rough finish, and the whole thing looks like junk. I couldn't tell it from the original.

Jim
Old August 24, 2007, 08:52 PM   #8
U.S.SFC_RET

Thanks for the warning Jim. I won't be buying any British Pistol Revolver No. 2 Mk1s.