The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 10, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Toddco

Muzzle break

I posted this on the reloading side, suspect it may be better here. I have an older .300 winmag and was considering having a muzzle break put on it. What i am wondering if they are all they are hyped up to be. Considering the huge increase in noise will they actually tame recoil a huge amount. Are there certain types or styles that will work better than others. Appreciate the input.
Old June 10, 2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Howard31

Muzzle Brake

I put one on my 300 Win Mag.It made a big difference in felt recoil.Well worth the money.
Old June 10, 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

As Howard 31 says they do a good job of reducing recoil, but they also have a blast factor that can't be ignored; that blast has to go someplace and with a brake (not a "break"; nothing is broken), a good part of it comes back your way.

Jim
Old June 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
PetahW

While most work well, their asthetics leave a lot to be desired IMHO - since I don't care for the extra diameter of the barrel at the muzzle, reminiscent of the old PolyChokes.

My vote was to have my rifles Mag-Na-Ported, an EDM cutting of ports directly into the barrel wall.

Old June 11, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Morgoroth

Would this sound redirection have a positive effect in concealing your position as a sniper?
Old June 11, 2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

It's a "brake."
Old June 11, 2010, 03:02 PM   #7
jaguarxk120

Most muzzle brakes have a expansion chamber built in and the porting is angled to the rear slightly. The chamber makes for better gas flow as the bullet leaves the muzzle and exits the muzzle brake. Some of the brakes do not have vent holes in the bottom so you will not kick up dust.
Old June 11, 2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My 300 Wby has a brake on it and the felt recoil is similar to my H&R .308. I don't notice the noise difference much but the people to either side of me notice it a lot so I shoot on an empty range, my back field or I warn everybody and ask them to step away. Response is almost always the same. "Thats alright buddy, we got our ears on." After my first shot it's always the same, A lot of religious references and some profanity and then, "Why didn't you warn us?" The second shot is always taken after the line has cleared.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 11, 2010, 06:49 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I too prefer the Mag-Na-Porting ! The barrel keeps it's lines and not as hard on the ears as a brake . I don't do anything till I have a premium pad installed first . Pads have come a long way in the last few years . You may find that a good pad will make your .300 quite tolerable , did mine .
Old June 11, 2010, 07:39 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

Try looking at the Answer Brake, it follows the lines of the barrel.

As far as the range goes, don't these guys wear hearing protection? Most ranges require ear muffs of some sort, they should get better stuff.

Chances are no one has fired a 500 S&W next to them.
Old June 11, 2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
As far as the range goes, don't these guys wear hearing protection? Most ranges require ear muffs of some sort, they should get better stuff.

Everybody had muffs on, some had plugs under the muffs They didn't flinch when I shot the 7MM Rem Mag but the 300 with brake on it throws the sound to the side and back at directly at anybody standing to my left and right. I was in a cone where the sound was going past me but not at me. It's noticeable.

Range etiquette is to remove the brake but old age etiquette gives me some perks too and that's not to be pounded. They were given fair warning and nobody who experienced it once needed a reminder. I didn't bring it out often and I always asked permission to shoot it. Not my fault some are slow learners.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 14, 2010, 09:01 AM   #12
NUKE HUNTER

i got a mag-na-brake on my .454 and i love it. its removable and blends in with the finish and diameter of the barrel.it is loud but i use my pro ears at the range and in the woods. as far as felt recoil, i can shoot it all day with hot loads, lots of fun