The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

View Poll Results: You have a combat weapon with semi auto. Would you prefer Burst Fire or Full Auto
Full Auto all the way!!! Rock and Roll! 33 54.10%
Burst Fire!!! 3 to the Chest 18 29.51%
Neither. Gimme back my M-14. 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24, 2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Falcon5NZ

Selective Fire or Fully Automatic Fire

I was having a disscussion with a mate and decided to start this poll.
Our disscussion: Does 3 round burst fire 3 rounds with every pull or does it have to be held for the time it takes to fire three rounds?
But the poll question: Which would you prefer on a combat weapon?
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!

Last edited by Falcon5NZ; September 24, 2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: whoops
Old September 24, 2008, 08:53 PM   #2
chris in va

That's a good question, should be interesting.

But as for FA vs SF, depends on the weapon I suppose. Something with heavy recoil would just walk up vertically the first few shots on FA. I'd prefer single, 3-rd burst and FA myself.
Old September 25, 2008, 03:13 AM   #3
DWARREN123

I could always control a M16/M16A1 as good as an M16A2 and the fully auto was needed sometimes. I believe the burst was to save ammo instead of training people on fire control. The M16A2 was one pull for 3 round burst.
Old September 25, 2008, 03:46 AM   #4
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Selective fire Full Auto for CQB and semi-auto for longer engagements. remember each is a tool with it's own specific job to perform. In a CQB situation, house to house, I would want a bullpup of some kind, actually maybe an SMG for crying out loud (FN P90 would be best probably) but for long range battle rifle conditions I would take a single shot M14 any day. However I don't intend to get into any long range skirmishes anytime soon so FA all the way baby! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! i think watching the gunny on mail call waste a watermelon with an STG-44 is what really makes me want one.
Old September 25, 2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Falcon5NZ

I just thought it would be interesting to get peoples opinion on it. The idea behind 3 round burst was for control wasn't it? E.g. people jerking the trigger would have a better chance of hitting a target with 3 rounds, and to fire multipule rounds at a target to give a better chance of a hit without people "spraying and praying".
WeedWacker- I see your point. When I posted I was thinking of a longer engagement rather than CQB.
It is New Zealand's role to send out its bright young men and women to help run the rest of the world. And they go, not hating the country of their birth, but loving it. From this loving base they make their mark on the world.

Pro-1080 Poison and proud of it!!
Old September 25, 2008, 05:31 AM   #6
blume357

I think it's really a matter of economics... and saving ammo

in a firefight when you run out of bullets, you are screwed.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:04 AM   #7
SDC

It actually depends on the specific model you're talking about; the M16A2 has 3-round burst, but the way it operates depends on a rotating cam. This means you can have it SET on "burst", but release the trigger early, and the rifle will fire only one or two rounds out of that burst. Then, when you go to fire the NEXT burst, you will squeeze the trigger expecting a full three rounds, but you'll only get the remaining 1 or 2 rounds from the previous burst. Different designs have different methods of achieving a burst, though.
Old September 25, 2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Scattergun Bob

Fire discipline

3rb is a replacement for training one's finger. Fire discipline is a learned skill, to correctly turn off what you have turned on. 3rb triggers is a cost saving, man hour device, it is not an effective skill set.
Old September 25, 2008, 02:03 PM   #9
cohoskip

On a full auto M1 Carbine, 3 rounds was the least you could fire, even with just a light trigger pull. They are much more controllable shooting in that way...

NRA Life Member
Old September 25, 2008, 02:27 PM   #10
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon5NZ
I just thought it would be interesting to get peoples opinion on it. The idea behind 3 round burst was for control wasn't it? E.g. people jerking the trigger would have a better chance of hitting a target with 3 rounds, and to fire multipule rounds at a target to give a better chance of a hit without people "spraying and praying".
The M16A2 'burst' mechanism was/is for ammo savings.

The cyclic rate is slow enough that when you aim center mass and shoot on 'burst', the 2nd and 3d round will be much north of the mark at the end of the 'burst' (if your rifle is even ready to shoot 3 rounds [see above]).

This feature should more accurately be called a 'limiter'.

The folks at Heckler & Koch have a battle rifle that shoots @ 2000rpm when in burst mode.
You pull the trigger once.
Your hear one "shot".
You feel one recoil.
Your 3 rounds all hit very close to each other on target.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:25 PM   #11
MisterPX

You do realise the M14 is a FA rifle?
Old September 25, 2008, 08:16 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Burst fire entails a more complicated trigger mechanism. Keep it simple, less troublesome and fewer trips to see the armorer by going full-automatic. The key is to master trigger control such that you can get a two or three shot burst. I can because I practiced.
Old September 26, 2008, 12:43 AM   #13
Scattergun Bob

4V50 Gary

Gary,

"fewer trips to see the armorer", you are very correct in that regard. The 3rb spinner in H&K mp5 trigger group is a gray hair creating, 3 handed reassembly, dirty word creating, puzzle that I truly hated to work on. Why a beautifully simple weapon was ever saddled with that level of complexity astounds me.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; September 26, 2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old September 26, 2008, 03:56 AM   #14
Firepower!

learn to shoot

There was a compelling reason why M4A1 did not have 3 burst option like its predesessor M4 Carbine.

As much as I enjoy the cool three burst thing, I also believe its for beginer with little training so that the cost of ammo is kept low, and control is tighter on shots fired.

I can count my bullets if FA mode, as would many marines here can, and I am sure some one will come along and confirm that. With practice, you can do two burst, 3 or just a single shot while gun is switched on to FA mode.

If you can't, then you must pracrice more.
Old September 26, 2008, 07:13 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

When I went to HK's armorer's school, one of our classmates repaired clocks and he said the 3 shot burst mechanism of the HK was very similar to a clock with the hammer being the pendulum. The regular full auto trigger group was very simple. Our instructor would not even touch the set-trigger group for the HK PSG-1.
Old September 26, 2008, 02:56 PM   #16
John2

When the price of ammo started on up, I installed a 3 round burst on my M16 for machine gun shoots. I thought giving the public a burst would satisfy their latent Rambo tedencies. Didn't work. Pull the trigger six times and they'd dump the 18 I loaded. To answer the original question...on burst, snap the trigger for one round, the next time you fire, two will go off. Snap off two, your next pull one goes off. Its a ratchet set up. Real #!@%^ to install. You can still lay down a field of fire if you got rythm.
Old September 29, 2008, 10:23 AM   #17
ctdonath

Why would I want a machine to decide how many rounds it will expend?
Old September 29, 2008, 10:31 AM   #18
buzz_knox

Quote:
The folks at Heckler & Koch have a battle rifle that shoots @ 2000rpm when in burst mode.
They had one is more accurate. The G11 died when the Berlin Wall fell.

The Russian AN-94 has a similar capability. On burst fire, it fires at (if memory serves) around 1800 rpm.
Old September 29, 2008, 02:18 PM   #19
VUPDblue

Of the people I know who installed the burst trigger on their M16's, each one took it out immediately. I can do a burst of 3 all day long with trigger discipline on mine. With my .22 conversion the ROF is between 1000 and 1200 and I can still get bursts any time. I just don't care for the burst feature of the '16.