The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2006, 12:09 AM   #1
jmacx81

New to Reloading

I do a lot of hobby shooting and since I have just gotten married my cash flow dosen't quite come to me like it used to, I still enjoy shooting as much as I used to so I have decided to start doing my own reloading. I know nothing about reloading at this time but I would like to start could someone help explain what presses do what and what I really need to reload. Thanks
Mac
Old May 12, 2006, 04:15 AM   #2
sindiesel666

Not trying to be an ******* here, but there are numerous threads on this topic already. Just search or browse, there are probably 2-3 threads already per page.....
Old May 12, 2006, 06:39 AM   #3
rn22723

Use the Search Function is sound advice!

Your first purchase should be the ABC's of Reloading aka Reloading For Dummies! You will do yourself an invaluable service, and most of all not get smart ass answers! Yeah everyone has to start some where! But, you need to exercise some giddy up and go on your part!
Old May 12, 2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Buckythebrewer

If you want to reload GET A BOOK!!on reloading.Its the most important thing to do and it will help you properly decide your purchases..Ive heard A,B,C'S of reloading is a great one..I love the Lee books(get the second edition if you can)also I own the LYMAN 47th edition reloading book..They are both great..SO go order a book right now or pick one up at a gun dealer!!.another thing I recommend LEE products if you don't wan't to spend alot and make great ammo.go with a single stage or turret press if your starting out..It will help you make great ammo easy and helps get you in good reloading habits..HAVE YOU ORDERED THAT BOOK YET???!!!
Old May 12, 2006, 11:11 PM   #5
j1132s

jmacx81,

Hey, you're probably like me... trying to maximize the return of your hard earned money! Anyway, the other posters are absolutely right about getting a reloading manual. The thing is, you don't want to buy it before your other stuff if you don't have to (to save on shipping and handling, I mean if you buy this $20 book and have to pay Midway's $5 surcharge + $5 shipping, that's 50% price increase).

Here's a site that helped me (in addition to this board):
http://www.realguns.com/archives/reload.htm

Its pretty much a step-by-step reloading tutorial. The most valuable info I got from it was the necessary equipment and what they are used for.

good luck!
Old May 23, 2006, 10:38 PM   #6
jmacx81

j1132s,
thanks a lot I went to that page and it helped me a lot. I'm sure when I get back to the states I will order a real (paper) book when I order a press. Thanks a lot.

Mac