The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2015, 07:49 PM   #1
NINEX19

9mm 124 grain JHP load data??

So I thought I was fortunate to be able to get 500 rounds of Sierra Custom 124 grain JHP bullets for a screaming good deal. I bought on sight without looking up load data first. I have not done any 124g JHP loads until now. Most of my 9mm reloading experience is with 115g FMJ and JHP. Now, I can't seem to find any solid load data for these.

Lyman's only give 125 grain (why no 124g, since it is what is considered the optimum weight for the 9mm is strange) that I could use, but the only powder I have is from their data is Bullseye, Bluedot, HS-6, and 700-x. I do not want to use Bullseye (other applications) or 700-x (limited amount and can't seem to find anymore, locally at least.) Bluedot I use in other calibers and don't consider it a 9mm powder. HS-6 would be fine, but not sure of what alterations I should do with a 125g vs 124g.

Lee gives me 124g XTP, but the only powder I have on that list is Bullseye and Bluedot. I will use the Bullseye if I have no other option.

I never thought finding load data fot the 124g JHP would be so difficult. The powders I would like to work up loads for are either, HS-6, CFE pistol, or Bullseye. I use WSF and Reddot for 115g with great results. No data for those though.

Anyone have any helpful input what direction I should go with this?
Old September 21, 2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Marco Califo

Hodgdon (including IMR and Winchester brands aswell) and Alliant have their data available online.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
Copies of old Hercules and Alliant data booklets are available free @ link below. Alliant's current data is skewed to newer powders, but the old data is still valid (in case you want to load 45 ACP using Green Dot.
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...M/Alliant.html

Last edited by Marco Califo; September 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old September 21, 2015, 09:22 PM   #3
SHR970

Talk about over thinking this. We are talking about 1 grain...less than 1% in this case. You get more than that variation in bullet weights in the same box of ammo. You will get more pressure variation due to bullet shape differences that due to 1 grain in weight.

In this case Blue Dot will work fine for your application.

HS-6 is very forgiving in this application. The competitors that push the pressure envelope w/ 9mm use HS-6 as one of the Go To powders. It is not known for pressure spikes in 9mm.

I've only been doing this for over 20 years. Medium to Medium Slow powders shine in 9mm; especially when you are going closer to top end loads with the heavier bullets.
Old September 21, 2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
HS-6 is very forgiving in this application. The competitors that push the pressure envelope w/ 9mm use HS-6 as one of the Go To powders. It is not known for pressure spikes in 9mm.
Well stated. HS-6 is a natural for 9mm.

I consider 124 and 125 grain data to be pretty much interchangeable. As already stated: Don't overthink this.

I had good luck with 6.7gns of HS-6 under a 124gn slug. 1123 f/s though a 3.7" Kahr CW9. Do your own work-up, of course.
Old September 22, 2015, 12:04 AM   #5
Jim Watson

HS6 meters like water and gives high velocity within pressure limits.
But if loaded light, it is filthy. I don't usually play the "clean powder" game, but HS6 loaded for 9mm Minor was the only powder I ever had that would coke up the chamber to the point of malfunctions in the hundred or so rounds of an IDPA match or short practice session.
Old September 22, 2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Mobuck

Use the 125 grain bullet loads. One grain in bullet weight (down to boot) won't matter.
Old September 22, 2015, 08:25 AM   #7
NINEX19

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I guess it came across a bit like I was making too much of the 124g vs125g. I have always treated these the same for FMJ. I was just wondering if the JHP, with the powders I had listed, would need some adjustments since I have no experience with this specific scenario.

So, it looks like I will be working up loads using the HS-6.

On a bit of a side note, has anyone ever used Bluedot for 9mm? I do not plan on ever using it for 9mm as I have other calibers that are earmarked for that powder.
Old September 22, 2015, 08:42 AM   #8
TimSr

Quote:
Bluedot I use in other calibers and don't consider it a 9mm powder.
I think discounting Blue Dot for 9mm is huge mistake. Its ideal application is a small case filled with pwoder and with no extra room, which makes it great for 9mm. I get both the best accuracy and highest and most consistant velocities in 9mm with Blue Dot in my S&W439 with both cast and jacketed bullets. Alliant gives 7.9 as max which is a near full case. (I've been using 8.0 with 125gr cast bullets for years base don older data) I'd urge you to at least try it before deciding "it's not a 9mm powder".
Old September 22, 2015, 10:13 AM   #9
NINEX19

OK, I will give bluedot a try. It just might be the answer I am looking for.
Old September 22, 2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Bluedot I use in other calibers and don't consider it a 9mm powder.
You got it right the first time.

I don't know why one in this situation would reach for Bluedot when HS-6 is available. HS-6 is clearly the better choice.

I wouldn't put Bluedot under a 124. I suppose if it were pumped up to the max it might run right. But I wouldn't even bother trying - not when HS-6 is available. Maybe if I had a bunch of 147's and Bluedot was my only propellant, would I consider using it for 9x19.

Even with 147's, HS-6 would be the better choice over Bluedot. (Actually, HS-6 runs best under heavy bullets - but that's for another thread.)

All this is just my opinion, of course. It is also my opinion that many loaders use powders too slow for their application - I see it all the time here in TFL. Situations where a faster powder would run cleaner and more consistently than what they're using. And choosing Bluedot over HS-6 would most definitely create one of those times.
Old September 22, 2015, 01:06 PM   #11
TimSr

That is why I suggest giving it a try, and see for yourself. If two very experienced reloaders can have opposite results, it mostly means there are probably others out there who either love it or hate it. There are plenty of published loads to work with.
Old September 22, 2015, 01:46 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

By all means, there is no substitute for personal experience.

And I readily admit and self-profess that I am a "fast powder biased" loader.
Old September 22, 2015, 02:09 PM   #13
FITASC

Quote:
Hodgdon (including IMR and Winchester brands aswell) and Alliant have their data available online.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
^^^^^^^^^^ This is where you should always start -with the data from the folks who makes the "BANG" happen. Online data will be the "latest and greatest". Load books can be outdated by the time they are printed if a formula has changed.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2015, 02:21 PM   #14
NINEX19

Yes, I have found 125g HAP data that I am going to work with for CFE pistol and probably HS-6. Just what I was looking for.