The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 27, 2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Deaf Smith

Ruger Service Six

In original box, 4 inch bbl, stainless, excellent condition and tight.

So is $400 to much?

Deaf
Old February 27, 2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Wishoot

Sounds like a very good deal to me. I'd jump at it.

They can be found for slightly less, but tend to show a good amount of use. They sure aren't getting any cheaper that's for certain.
Old February 27, 2014, 02:59 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

Service Six? No rear sight, correct? It's not something I'd pay too much for. It's probably OK for home defense but that's about it....for me anyway.
Old February 27, 2014, 03:09 PM   #4
Blacktimberwolf

I paid 125 bucks, with pachmayr grips and i love that gun.
Old February 27, 2014, 04:01 PM   #5
357 Terms

I bought a 161 prefix Service six for $350 5 years ago. great gun for that price!!

I recently traded it for a 5.5in stainless Redhawk, good trade for me, but I kinda miss that Six.

$400 is a good price, these six series Rugers are becoming desirable, and rightly so.
Old February 27, 2014, 05:08 PM   #6
leadcounsel

Yeah, these are excellent revolvers. I don't care for the spindly thin grips, so if you intend on swapping those out that's another $20-50.

Is it .38 or .357?

$400 for an excellent .357 or even a .38 is a very good price... I simply prefer the .357 for versatility and self defense. But either way, you won't lose money at $400, and I think these value will double in the near term. Since these manufacturing processes aren't done any longer, and these hand-fitted and hand polished metal guns are disappearing into collections, these are along the same lines as the popular Colt revolvers now commanding north of $1000...

I've stumbled on these a couple years ago and been buying them when I see them all between $300-400. Going to buy an abused Security Six 357 this weekend for $300... Figure it'll make a good back-woods or truck gun. And $200 worth of refinishing could result in a new looking gun.
Old February 27, 2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

Total $433. tax incl.

Yep just got it. Can't find a scratch on it. Even has the papers with it.

Will shoot tomorrow.

Deaf
Old February 27, 2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Garycw

Sounds like a good deal smith. Any pics??
Old February 27, 2014, 11:33 PM   #9
JimmyR

I love the Six series revolvers, and $400 in a retail environment is cheaper than I have seen in my area. Sounds like you made out good.

That said, I won't believe a word you said until I see some pics....
Old February 27, 2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Deaf Smith

Ok.. tomorrow I'll have a 'family' picture.

Deaf
Old February 28, 2014, 06:14 AM   #11
Garycw

What is the difference between the service six and the security six?
Old February 28, 2014, 06:53 AM   #12
JimmyR

Service Six has a fixed channel style rear sight; the Security Six has the adjustable rear sight.

This image shows the difference if you look at the rear sight close enough.
Old February 28, 2014, 06:56 AM   #13
WC145

Sounds to me like you got a good deal. That gun is solid, versatile, and will last forever. Looking forward to the pics and range report!
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old February 28, 2014, 08:05 AM   #14
Guv

Sounds like a great deal to me, love those older Six series guns!
Old February 28, 2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Garycw

Ruger Service Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv View Post
Sounds like a great deal to me, love those older Six series guns!

I had one like this in blue back in the 70's and foolishly sold it for $200. Found one in stainless and didn't have to think long about buying it.
Old February 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #16
CajunBass

Instead of asking myself "Is it too much", I ask myself "When was the last time you saw one for less? How long before another one comes along?"

So what if you pay a few bucks more for it than "it's worth." If you want it, get it.

Now if you're planning to flip it for profit, the above doesn't apply, but if you just want the gun for yourself...
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 28, 2014, 04:50 PM   #17
tekarra

Sounds like a deal I would take.
Old February 28, 2014, 04:51 PM   #18
fastbolt

Congrats.

It's worth whatever amount of disposable pocket money you have with which you're willing to part.

I'm the original owner of a Service-Six, myself.

I don't have the original box anymore, but as I recall it was listed as a .357 Magnum 4" Heavy Barrel Model. I had the grip frame modified to RB, and had the guys at MagNaPort do a Duty-Tune (and then promptly installed the factory mainspring upon its return), and let them port it while they were at it. Fast-handling, accurate, smooth and with the lively balance of a "short" 4" duty gun.

Nice medium-framed, medium-bore DA revolver.

I was disappointed when the GP series replaced the Security series (and remain so to this day).

I stopped doing more than occasional range quals with the Service-Six because of how nice my SP101DAO demonstrated itself to be (once I'd identified and corrected a burr that was causing it to seize after several cylinder loads of 125gr Magnum rounds).

I'd let the MNP guys try their Quad-Porting on it, back when that was a new process (and they assured me I'd like it and not want the barrel replaced). While it does offer the same potential disadvantage for some close range/retention shooting, when fired at reasonable extension it allows for some excellent muzzle rise control.

I've demonstrated to a bunch of other revolver guys how the little 101 can be fired as fast as the trigger can recover, remaining "on-target" without muzzle rise. Sure, the same amount of felt recoil force is still being delivered to the palm of your hand (which makes 158gr & 180gr loads still rather impressive), but the metered set of ports lets the muzzle remain level during rapid shot strings (but still with all the attendant muzzle blast/noise you expect from porting). I forget the figures they quoted me all those years ago, but they said the amount of velocity lost was surprisingly not bad.

One of the guys I let try the gun at work has been trying to talk me into selling him that 101 for years. he used to own a similar size 2.25" 101, but never cared for the muzzle snap/whip when shooting Magnum loads. He was amazed when he tried mine with 125gr Magnum loads, and had a hard time believing the muzzle/sights remained on-target when rapidly triggering the gun.

I've always wanted a TDA 3" 101, though.

Last edited by fastbolt; February 28, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old March 1, 2014, 11:13 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Well it ain't the best picture of my 'Six' famly but here they are.

Shot the Serviice Six today. Maybe an inch low using 158gr LSWC reloads at 10 yards. 158gr Magnums shot right on. All shots in about 2 inch circle firing off hand.

Service Six 4 inch.
Security Six 4 inch.
Speed Six 2 3/4
Speed Six 2 3/4
Security Six 2 3/4

I just need one more... A 3 inch Speed Six but that might take a while.

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01736.JPG (173.8 KB, 651 views)
Old March 2, 2014, 01:04 AM   #20
fastbolt

Nice.

I had a mix of several blued & stainless versions of all 3 models, and a used one that had been electroless nickeled.
Old March 2, 2014, 01:33 AM   #21
Sevens

So you had FOUR of these already -- and you came here to ask if $400 was a decent price to get your fifth one?

I can tell you that we recently had some fun with Microgunner on a similar subject in this thread:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541647
Old March 2, 2014, 02:35 PM   #22
Colt46

People are slowly catching on

Ruger's Six series are awesome revolvers that are undervalued. Get 'em while they are still a relative bargain.
Old March 2, 2014, 07:00 PM   #23
Deaf Smith

Well Sevens it's been a while since I bought one.

Used to get them for $200 - 300.

Deaf
Old March 3, 2014, 07:08 AM   #24
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Well Sevens it's been a while since I bought one.

Used to get them for $200 - 300.

Deaf

Yep. I can remember that too. That's when gas was around $1.00@ gallon.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:00 AM   #25
Deaf Smith

Quote:
That's when gas was around $1.00@ gallon.
A buck?

I was in high school and gas was 25 CENTS a gallon. My two friends and I would go over to one of their houses and play pinochle till midnight drinking coffee, then go drive around listing to 'American Pie' and the likes in an old Chevie car that must have made 12 miles a gallon.

And yes, I miss those days.

Drugs? Booze? Gad we never even DREAMED that stuff. Traded guns with the High School teachers in the parking lot of the school!

I think my two handguns then were a Hawes Western Marshal .357 SAA and H&R .22 pistol. Also a Marlin 30/30 and 16 gauge Mossberg bolt action shotgun (with adjustable choke) plus a Marlin .22.

And I still think one can do fine and dandy with just that setup.

Sorry about being off topic but back then a Speed Six would just be a dream for me. And a S&W Combat Magnum would have been heaven.

Deaf