The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2010, 12:22 AM   #1
jason moore

Try the Knoxx!

I just got the Knoxx Spec Ops stock system for my Maverick 88 shotgun and I gotta say wow!

I don't know about anyone else, but shooting more than 10 or so slugs or magnum loads in a synthetic stocked shotgun isn't a whole lot of fun.

But after installing the Knoxx, my brother-in-law and I spent an afternoon blasting away with everything we could lay our hands on from 6 shot to 3 inch mag slugs. In total I would venture to say that we went through about 5-25 round boxes of birdshot and 3-15 round boxes of 1oz. 2 3/4 slugs and were amazed at how effective the Knoxx was.

Felt recoil was compareable to a .22 lr in my opinion and the B-I-L said that he might go as far as comparing it to a 30-30.

Either way, neither shooter felt any soreness or discomfort that would usually accompany a shooting session like the one mentioned earlier.

Also, my seven year old heard what a fuss dad and Unc were making and wanted to see what the big deal was. So a single round of factory no.6 was loaded and I held my breath as she hefted the shotgun, steadied and fired. She handed it back and said that it wasn't so bad and it was just louder than her gun. ( A cricket .22lr. Pink of course)

I don't know about anybody else, but I am impressed.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Technosavant

It really does work- I have one on an 870. However, it isn't the easiest to get a consistent cheek weld with it and the moving parts can break (I had one that let go on me), so it isn't quite as foolproof as a traditional stock.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Maromero

My only gripe is that I can't handdle the controls as easily and intuitively as with the original stock. The pistol grip gets in the way. I practiced (still do) a lot and overcame it but then I grab my other 870 (original for hunting) and every time I make a mental note to replace the Knoxx Spec Ops with the original stock. Never have. It works too good.
Old February 5, 2010, 06:37 PM   #4
joehorner

Knoxx stock

Had one mounted on a Mossberg 500. The main recoil spring or pin broke. Was afraid to look down at the trigger guard thinking something bad happened to my finger. You know when you hurt yourself but the pain is delayed for a split second. Luck was on my side that day. Sent it back to Cabelas,then went back to wood. Nice concept but not for me........Joe