The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 18, 2015, 08:43 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Nope, I'd say I'm pretty standardized.
Yowch! I thought I was keeping a menagerie of ammo...

I did do some pruning on the inventory a few years back. I didn't have time to reload any more, so some cartridges (.41 Mag and 10mm spring to mind) went by the wayside.

Going forward, I'm definitely conscious of ammunition availability when selecting a gun.
Old April 18, 2015, 08:55 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

I have a number of different calibers, but I've switched to only stocking significant quantities in a few calibers. It makes sense for me to have a few thousand rounds of what I shoot frequently on hand, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a waste of space and effort to try to stock more than just a few boxes of ammo in calibers that I only shoot once in a great while.

It gives me the option of having a variety of calibers but keeps the logistics simple.
Old April 18, 2015, 09:48 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

I have one defensive handgun cartridge: 9mm
I have one =defensive rifle cartridge: 556
I have one shotgun GA: 12 GA
Lots of 22lrs for the range.

I have some variation in hunting items, but I am currently trying to eliminate that also. I do think i will end up with 2-3 rifles in different cartridges though.

I don't own nearly so many guns as many on here and I am decreasing my centerfire stable to as small as I can.
Old April 19, 2015, 07:49 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's see...

.22 LR
.32 S&W
.32 S&W Long
.32-20 WCF
.32 ACP
9mm Mak
.38 S&W
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
9mm Para
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.45 ACP
.45 Long Colt

I seem to have the smorgasbord specialty...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 19, 2015, 07:10 PM   #30
peggysue

When I started collecting I did. Now I have about every caliber made including obscure stuff to go with the old guns. Stayed away from 40 and 10 however.
Old April 19, 2015, 07:25 PM   #31
saleen322

Just a quick look and it appears I currently have guns shooting about 44 different cartridges. I am also thinking I have some ammo laying around that I don't have guns for.................yet.......
Old April 20, 2015, 06:22 AM   #32
mrt949

32 acp 40 s.w. 357 mag, 22lr.
Old April 20, 2015, 07:29 AM   #33
Skans

No, I'm not all that particular about ammo standardization. While I tend to favor 9mm's, I like having a few 45's, a couple of .380's, one or two .40's, a 10mm and a 44 magnum....this is excluding my revolvers, most of which I do not shoot.

Diversification in calibers means that I can always shoot. When 9mm was non-existent, I shot my .40. When I need more "umph", I go to my 10mm. Someday, I'm hoping that .380 will be cheap enough again for me to start shooting my Walther.
Old April 20, 2015, 09:27 AM   #34
Cheapshooter

I think it generally depends on an individual's purpose for owning firearms.
Recreation or hobby>>>>variety, both in firearms and chamberings
Strictly defensive>>>>>>standardization in both.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 20, 2015, 11:56 AM   #35
BigJimP

I solidified my collection a little bit..but not based on ammo really...but it is based on what I like to shoot by caliber ( so kind of the same thing ):

.45 acp 2 guns ( all 1911's)
.40 S&W 3 guns ( all Sigs )
9mm 4 guns ( two 1911's / 2 Sigs )

.44 Mag 3 guns ( all S&W)
.357 Mag 7 guns ( 6 S&W / 1 Freedom Arms)
.38 spl ( none ) but I shoot a little in ..357 mag - and for kids
.22 6 guns ( a mix Browning, S&W, conversion kits )

and I reload all 6 handgun calibers.....( so I keep about a case of bullets for each caliber I load on hand ....4,000 9mm, 2000 .45 acp, about 3,000 .357 mag...( which make up about 90% of my shooting )....
----------------
12ga 5 guns ( 4 Browning / 1 Benellli )
20ga 1 gun ( Browning )
16ga 1 gun ( Westernfield )
28ga 1 gun ( Browning )
.410 1 gun ( Browning )

and I reload for 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410....( and about 20 bags of shot ...mostly 8's...but a few 9's and some 7 1/2's ...)...
( and powder and primers of course...) for all of the above...
----------------
If I didn't like reloading....and wanted to keep it simple...( and as I get closer to 70 yrs old ....I've thought about downsizing everything - a little )...:

a. I'd keep a pair of Wilson 1911's - one in 9mm/ one in .45 acp
b. 4 Revolvers in .357 Mag..../ pair of K frames, an N frame, a Freedom Arms
c. Three 12ga shotguns .... 2 Browning O/U's & a Benelli semi-auto
and those guns, calibers, gagues....would meet all my needs for recreation, self defense and bird hunting....

and give the rest of the collection to the kids...

Last edited by BigJimP; April 20, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old April 20, 2015, 04:11 PM   #36
TailGator

I have to show this thread to my wife. I have five calibers on hand, and some of ya'll are making me look really good in her eyes.
Old April 20, 2015, 07:57 PM   #37
orionengnr

I would venture to guess that the OP is not a handloader...

During times of shortage, it is nice to have a variety of cartridges. One can generally find some type of primer, some size of projectile, and at least one type of powder. That means that you are seldom out of luck with regard to loading/shooting.

Of course, if you have been through a few of these cycles, you probably have laid in a supply of components, and you will be shooting next week/next month/next year regardless.

So no, I'm not fanatical about standardization. I don't own every caliber, but I own a few. And I shoot once a week, and could do more if I could find the time.
Old April 20, 2015, 08:37 PM   #38
mini14jac

At least twice, I've sold guns and ammo, to reduce the number of calibers I have to stock.
Now I've given up and just shoot what I enjoy.

All of my carry guns are "point and click" so I don't have to worry about SA/DA or deactivating a safety.
But they vary between .380, .38, and 9mm.

Have some .22s and a .45 for fun.
Old April 20, 2015, 09:43 PM   #39
aherrera773

I have most of the standard calibers except a .40. Im not allowed to buy one of them on the count that my wife wont allow me to buy bullet molds, loading dies, sizing dies, magazines and a holster. She's starting to figure me out
Old April 20, 2015, 10:18 PM   #40
Webleymkv

Actually, I'm starting to move the other direction and trying to diversify my handgun calibers as much as I can. During the great ammo panics of 2008-9 and 2012-13, I noticed that most of the "mainstream" handgun calibers had no ammo or reloading components to be found, but I could often find the same dusty old boxes of "oddball" ammo that had been sitting on the dealers' shelves for years. Currently, my caliber inventory includes guns chambered for the following:

.22 Long Rifle
.25 Auto
7.62x25 Tokarev
.32 Auto
.32 S&W Long
.380 Auto
.38 S&W
9mm Luger
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
10mm Auto
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
.45 ACP

Also, while I don't own guns specifically chambered for them, I could shoot the following as sub-loads if I wanted/needed to:

.22 Short
.22 Long
.32 S&W
.38 Short Colt
.38 Long Colt
.44 Russian

I could see myself eventually picking up a gun in 9x18 Makarov, .38 Super, .40 S&W (preferably with a .357 Sig conversion barrel), and .45 Long Colt as well. If I get handguns in all of those calibers, then when/if the next ammo shortage comes I should always be able to find something to shoot.
Old April 21, 2015, 06:46 PM   #41
Arizona Fusilier

I absolutely embrace the concept of standardization.

I just happen to have standardized on ten pistol calibers.

+1 on all the ammo shortage comments. Some day I will get into reloading; until then variety=choice =availability.
Old April 22, 2015, 12:50 AM   #42
44 AMP
Staff

If the round is listed as being in current production (even seasonal) isn't that "standard"?

All mine are "standard", save one. Doesn't mean I can get them, but they are listed as being in production.....

I think we need to decide if we are talking about "standard" or "standard minimalist".?

If these were all the same caliber (minimalist) it would kind of pointless...
Old April 22, 2015, 01:31 AM   #43
11mm

Once I bought my first gun (SR1911) for various reasons the grass seemed greener on all the other lawns. so I ended up with..
22lr(Mk III 22/45, Henry AR7)to save money for practice
9mm(SR9c,LC9) for carry guns
.38(J-Frame 637-2)carry gun
.357 mag(SP101 4.2")because a kit gun seemed cool and I wanted the extra velocity over a 2.25" model 60
.40sw(Uzi Eagle)because in the ammo shortage wal mart kept it in stock
10mm (Glock 20) mixture of Miami Vice 10mm love and Justified full size Glock love
.44 mag (Super Blackhawk, S&W Model 69, Rossi 92)(wanted a Redhawk but they went out of production for a while/ I Wanted an SAA style gun, liked the idea of the "44 Combat Magnum" and I liked the Browning lines of the Rossi 92 Winchester clone)
.45acp (SR1911) because buying my first gun a 1911 seemed the most macho bad ass all american gun
7.62x39 (M92 PAP) because it seemed cool and I wanted a "real rifle caliber" I could shoot for the same price as 9mm.

So as you can see I'm pretty much as pared down as can be. anybody see any holes

Last edited by 11mm; April 22, 2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old April 22, 2015, 02:16 AM   #44
Brotherbadger

I don't worry about finding ammo, unless it's rimfire. I reload all my practice ammo, and only have carry ammo for two calibers.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 22, 2015, 07:35 AM   #45
MFitz

For my purposes (primarily making holes in paper) having multiple calibers is an annoyance, not an asset. I currently have one .22LR pistol and three 9x19mm semi-auto's with plans to add a revolver or two (one for the range, one for carry) also in 9 mm as well precisely so I can remain standardized and not deal with how much of what ammo I might have.

I will get a 1911 someday (because like the Ruger 10/22 everyone should have one) but am even tempted to get that in 9mm.
Old April 22, 2015, 09:26 AM   #46
jasmith85

I like to have as much variety as possible. I have a couple guns in the common calibers that I shoot the most, but I am constantly trying to expand the calibers that my collection encompasses. It'll never happen but my dream would be to one day have at least one gun for every caliber.
Old April 22, 2015, 03:38 PM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

Two different approaches led me to the variety I have, both rifle and pistol.

Some of the calibers I got were because I was interested in a certain gun, and they were the caliber it was in.

Some were because I was interested in a certain caliber, and the gun was whatever I got, in that caliber.

And I'm not good at getting rid of things I was once interested in, even when I'm not actively using them, I might again, later.

So, overtime, one ..acquires things...

I've got guns that are tools for certain jobs, and I've got guns that are sporting equipment. And sporting equipment can be as varied as varied gets. The mountaineer doesn't need the scuba diver's fins, and the diver doesn't get much from hiking boots, etc...
Old April 22, 2015, 04:19 PM   #48
Bongo Boy

I don't intentionally standardize nor do I intentionally proliferate calibers. Over time I've gained and lost interest in shooting particular calibers for recreation, because the thrill is gone, that's all.

As much as I wanted to keep my reloading gear to a minimum, it's components I like being able to keep to a minimum--but market conditions have solved that problem for me.

I feel very fortunate that the firearm/caliber choices I've made have resulted in a nice re-use of some gear and components: 40SW and 10mm are two calibers I chose because I like them, and they happen to use much of the same reloading and casting equipment. Likewise with 45 Auto and my recently attraction to 45 Win Mag, the two sharing everything but powder. The two odd men out for now are .22LR, which I have zero interest in shooting and don't even enjoy a little bit when I do, and 44 Mag, which I can't currently get enough of.

I'm not really interested in collecting a variety of firearms, definitely not the same firearm in multiple calibers, and I expect the next gun I buy (not counting the one I bought yesterday) will very likely be in a caliber I already have. For me, I've proliferated enough.

Limiting to what I've already expanded to is a consideration--not a rule but a consideration of available space and expenditure of money on what is nothing more than a great hobby for me.

I had to have 45 Win Mag though. I think everyone enjoys something exotic, and I can neither afford nor tolerate women or cars that fit into that category.

Just as an aside, my father's definition of 'standard' was pretty simple: if it was an adopted US military caliber of the 20th century, it was standard. If it was a civilian-only caliber, it was a 'bastard' caliber. Anything that any other military weapon was chambered in (except anything produced by Russians, the French, Japanese, Italians or Chinese) was potentially acceptable, even if not standard. Things were fairly black-or-white for Dad, rest his soul.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; April 22, 2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old April 22, 2015, 05:06 PM   #49
Spats McGee
Staff

Yeah, I stick with common and standard cartridges.
Old April 22, 2015, 05:21 PM   #50
gb_in_ga

I'm a standardizer. I've pared it down to:

.22lr
9mm Parabellum
.38 Spl/.357 Mag
.30-30 Win

I need to add 12 ga and .223 to that list, somewhere down the line.