The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 8, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
PunchinPaper

Help installing sling studs on a older Rossi 92.

I have a older Rossi 92 357 , it is a 16" bbl'd carbine.
I would like to install sling mounting studs on.
Its the older version (pre bolt safety) ,I has the front sight built on the barrel band. The stock should be the easy part,I want to go with the flush insert there. Im wondering if I can drill and tap the barrel band (maybe through the mag tube?) to install the stud. Have any of you done this before ? How did it turn out? My other options are air gun type slings or possibly a single point sling attached to the stock somewhere , and I'm not interested in doing either.
I am interested in a"Tradtional" type sling.
Old August 8, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

One common way is to buy a swivel that attaches to the magazine tube using a ring. You don't drill anything, just remove the tube, install the swivel stud and replace the tube. Alternatively, you can drill and tap the foreend cap. I don't recommend attaching a stud to the foreend wood because it is pretty thin at the bottom, but if you install a good support on the inside it will work. You have many options on the buttstock. Set the stud in about 2-2 1/2" from the buttplate.

Get a Brownells catalog and you can check out the options or talk to your local gunsmith.

Jim
Old August 9, 2011, 01:42 PM   #3
john323

This should work : From Uncle Mikes

Marlin .357 Magnum 1894C Carbine

Special Magnum split band swivels to install on magazine tube without dismantling gun. Fits tube diameters .540 to .590". Fits Ruger Mini-14.

Set No. 1051-2 (1")

I know it's for a Marlin but the mag tube should be about the same size.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old August 11, 2011, 12:42 PM   #4
jfruser

Hmm, is there not an option to install a swivel on the forearm?
Old August 11, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

As noted above, a rifle with a tubular magazine often doesn't have enough wood in the forearm for secure attachement of a sling swivel. Normally, a foreend stud doesn't just screw into the wood like a butt stud does. A ferrule is inlet into the barrel channel from inside and the stud attached to it with a machine screw. This gives good support and keeps the stud from pulling out. But in a tube magazine rifle, the wood often is too thin to allow that and a standard wood screw will pull out and break the foreend wood as well.

Jim
Old August 22, 2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Nevmavrick

I picked up a Rossi .357 a while ago, and someone had modified the gun before I got it. That's OK 'cause I had ideas for mine, and it cost a LOT less than an M92 Winchester.
I wanted a 1/2-magazine...So did the previous owner. He had soldered a small block of steel to the bottom of the magazine. It's a little larger than about 1/4". He then drilled and tapped it for a swivel stud which protrudes through the forestock. If one were to leave the magazine longer than the forestock, one could solder it in front of the stock.
I might as well describe what else was done...The buttplate was removed and the back of the stock cut straight, with a recoil pad installed. Why? Well, the pad extended the trigger-pull for his, and my, longer arms. The pull is now 13 1/2", but you can fix it to please you. When I set the carbine behind the kitchen door, it won't skitter out across the linolium floor! (THAT'll get me flamed!)lol
I'm a fan of the M92 .25/20 WCF, but I'm poorer than a churchmouse, so I installed a 22" .256 Magnum barrel with a ramped, Hi-Viz front sight.
Good luck with your fun-carbine.
Gene