The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 22, 2010, 12:51 AM   #51
sakeneko

I generally don't carry at home, although I do if we have underage visitors or visitors whom I don't know well. (I *don't* want somebody getting access to the gun and hurting themselves or me!) During the day, the gun sits on my desk in its holster within a foot of my right hand. In the evenings, I keep it near me on a coffee table or somesuch in the same room. When I'm asleep, I put it back in the office because I want to be sure that I have had to wake up before I pick it up. (I sleep soundly at times, need a few seconds and some movement to be fully alert.)

My husband always has his on his belt or within hands reach, even at night. He wakes up more quickly than I do and doesn't feel the need to put his gun out of reach. (If I woke up as quickly as he usually does, I'd do the same.)
Old September 22, 2010, 07:27 AM   #52
skoro

Do ya'll carry in your house?

No...
Old September 22, 2010, 07:35 AM   #53
BGutzman

If its legal to do so where I am at I am almost always armed unless theres some good reason not to be. In my home my guns almost always on my body.
Old September 22, 2010, 08:10 AM   #54
Don P

No but a hand gun is always their at the simple reach of the hand
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:33 AM   #55
pax

Yup: http://www.corneredcat.com/Social/home.aspx

Teuthis, I'm glad the thread got to 2 1/2 pages before someone accused other people of being "paranoid." I think that's a new record for this topic. If you think about it, though, that's not exactly how a civil conversation would go. Can you think of a less-offensive way to make the same points?

pax
Old September 22, 2010, 09:37 AM   #56
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I put my pistol on with my jeans in the morning, and I take my pistol off with them at night.

It seems safer than all that "putting it on, taking it off, putting it on, taking it off, should I carry? should I not?" stuff. All that extra screwing around with guns is when NDs happen.

People who read something into carrying a firearm, whether at home or not, need to consider why they have fear issues surrounding inanimate objects. It's no more strange for me to have a pistol on at home than it is for me to have my driver's license in my pocket or my shoes on my feet; it's part of being dressed for the day, and yet I never hear
Quote:
"I notice you have your driver's license in your pocket and boots on your feet at home. You must be afraid you're going to have to kick down the door and drive off at a moment's notice!"
Old September 22, 2010, 09:41 AM   #57
Don P

All points well taken. With home invasions on the rise being paranoid is out of the question in my opinion. They happen is ALL neighborhoods. Better to be prepared than not.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:46 AM   #58
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not wearing a gun because I'm paranoid or particularly worried about anything; I'm wearing a gun because I wear a gun. It's just a gun. Lighten up. It's not going to do anything except sit there.

I carried one when I lived out in the woods in a place where I never locked my front door for the whole six years I lived there and I had not a care in the world about crime. I carried it because I felt like it and that's all the reason I need. Folks can just deal with it.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:06 AM   #59
MikeNice81

Quote:
Some people become so paranoid that I wonder how life can have any pleasure for them. Carrying a gun around in one's house is pretty far out, unless the ghetto surrounds you.
I am not surrounded by the ghetto. I live in a small relatively quiet town. That didn't help last year when the neighbor behind me had her house broken in to. It didn't help when a man walked in through my aunt's front door in broad day light.

Most certainly being in a small town didn't keep two guys from trying to break in to my neighbor's house during the last snow storm. They were later caught by the police because I got their tag number. It turns out they had broke in to three houses. They didn't think the cops would be able to catch up with them because the roads were "dangerous."

The reason they didn't get in to my neighbor's house is because I called the cops and confronted them with a rifle. (The distance is probably 30+ yards. A rifle seemed the best choice.) My neighbor is nearly 80 and home bound. So, when I saw them on her porch, I grabbed my rifle and went out to see who they were. When they saw the rifle they left her house and the neighborhood.

So carrying around the house is not paranoid. It especially isn't reserved for ghetto dwellers. Stuff happens everywhere. If that stuff happens to my baby or wife because I fail to protect them. . . . I couldn't live with that.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:50 AM   #60
psyfly

Quote: “Stuff happens everywhere. If that stuff happens to my baby or wife because I fail to protect them. . . . I couldn't live with that.”

Well, there you go. That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. As someone else has remarked, “It ain’t about the odds, it’s about the outcome.”.

I live in a rural and quiet neighborhood with a statistically low crime rate (small odds).

Despite that, over the past few years, I have had two close friends and one acquaintance murdered. All were surprised in their quiet neighborhood homes (well, one in her front yard) (Pretty much unacceptable outcome if you can prevent it).

I am a mental health professional and I know what paranoia is. Being prepared to meet a surprise such as the above ain’t it.

Be safe,

Will
Old September 22, 2010, 12:26 PM   #61
nefprotector

have my Kel Tec P 32 .32 acp in my front pocket as we speak or type.
Old September 22, 2010, 12:33 PM   #62
saltydog452

In the original post, someone got out of bed, made it down the hallway, and down the stairs. That isn't exactly carrying or, not carrying, at home.

Unless we have guests, I do not get dressed up with jammies and such to make a nocturnal visit to the whizzer or to start a pot of caffene cooking.

Taking out the trash or other such early morning outdoor chores are, usually, a tad different. Those outdoor chores are around 0430 and some of my new neighbors are still trying to find their way home.

Like Tam implied, for me, if I'm presentable to go out, I'm carrying.

salty
Old September 22, 2010, 12:47 PM   #63
MikeNice81

Quote:
Despite that, over the past few years, I have had two close friends and one acquaintance murdered. All were surprised in their quiet neighborhood homes (well, one in her front yard)
I hate to hear that. I know it is hard to lose someone close. To lose three in such a way and so close together is something I can't imagine.

It also reminds me of something that happened to my dad. He was out walking my grand-ma's dog in the front yard. A mini-van pulled up, two guys jumped out, and one yelled, "this is a robbery." He pulled his Colt reproduction out and said, "I don't think so." The guys jumped back in and took off.

Two days later the paper had a story about a group of guys in a mini-van that were jumping out and robbing people on the street. They had slightly injured two or three people and put one elderly man in the hospital. If it hadn't been for the Colt under his coat, my dad could have been that man.

The robbers had been hitting in all kinds of neighborhoods. The use of their car meant they could strike any where and be across town before the cops had a chance to respond.
Old September 22, 2010, 03:10 PM   #64
GunLink

threecharley: "Times have changed bro incase ya haven't noticed. carrying around the house doesn't make you parinoid' it makes you ready! "

It doesn't take reading too many Armed Citizen columns to tell us that much. The "it can't happen to me" frame of mind can be dangerous. If a BG can rob you in an alley, grocery store or parking lot, why not in your back yard, driveway or living room?
Old September 22, 2010, 03:18 PM   #65
pax

Quote:
I am a mental health professional and I know what paranoia is. Being prepared to meet a surprise such as the above ain’t it.
psyfly,

Good post.

pax
Old September 22, 2010, 07:41 PM   #66
old bear

I do not carry in the house, no need to, I do though keep a loaded .357 on every level of the house.
Old September 22, 2010, 08:52 PM   #67
mouseboxeo

All the time

I carry at least one of my guns all the time. From morning to night. I just need to get my wife to do the same.

Home invasions happen everywhere, regardless if your neighborhood is good or bad. Just because a nice looking elderly person is knocking on your door, doesn't mean a couple of people can't be waiting around the house. I will always rather be prepared.
Old September 22, 2010, 08:59 PM   #68
dgreen

i carry at home and keep the gun handy at night while sleeping. there usually isnt any advanced notice that something bad is going to happen.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:04 PM   #69
Big Bill

My gun is always on me or within easy reach. Since I'm retired, I'm always watching my place and the neighborhood. I usually don't go to sleep till very late. So, I watch and listen. It's actually quite relaxing. And, I've got two pairs of keen eyes and ears (my dogs) helping me.
Old September 22, 2010, 09:41 PM   #70
saltydog452

Granted that at least two Commanders and an 870 are mandatory for taking a shower or visiting the 'reading room', where do you wear them?

Tacky attempt at levity aside, if I am dressed, I'm straped. 'Always' is a looong word.

salty
Old September 22, 2010, 09:59 PM   #71
Big Bill

Even in the bathroom, it's within reach....

The TP and the CZ.
Old September 22, 2010, 10:31 PM   #72
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
I carried one when I lived out in the woods in a place where I never locked my front door for the whole six years I lived there and I had not a care in the world about crime. I carried it because I felt like it and that's all the reason I need. Folks can just deal with it.
I hear you. I'll be moving to the country quite soon, and right now the only thing that changes for me is caliber. Folks where I'm going don't generally lock their doors either, and I've already been chastized by family for maintaining my carry habits when I'm up there. Tough.
Old September 23, 2010, 09:05 AM   #73
bikerbill

Eight words that say it all ... "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."
Old September 23, 2010, 09:51 AM   #74
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Some people become so paranoid that I wonder how life can have any pleasure for them.
Perhaps Teuthis (and a few other posters) need to read this old thread "Suburban homeowners view firearms as insurance"

Or I'll copy from something I wrote on another site a while back....

Quote:
We are all familiar with insurance Policies, those contractual bets placed against the possibility of harm or damage coming to your property, your loved ones, or yourself. You know, the ones you invest heavily into, praying that you will never, EVER, need them.

I have several types of insurance policies in my life and without exception I find them all annoying. They constantly consume time, money, and space I would rather utilize in another manner and they are all utterly useless.

Useless, that is, unless the dice roll against you and they are needed.

When that happens you suddenly find yourself sending praises to the heights, thankful that you were prepared, that you were SMART enough and RESPONSIBLE enough to underwrite against such a possibility.

This mindset holds true if we are talking about health insurance or automobile insurance or fire insurance or renters insurance but here is something you may never have considered, we are also talking about the mindset of the typical concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit holder.

I understand that this may be a stunning revelation to many people, but the typical CCW holder considers his or her personal sidearm yet another personal insurance policy, no more, no less.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; September 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old September 23, 2010, 10:18 AM   #75
BlueTrain

That's funny. I have some life insurance but there's no bet involved. It's almost a sure thing that I'll die. I just don't know when and I doubt an exception will be made in my case.

Now, another thing here is that somehow people think that it's safer to live in the country or a small town. At least according to one source, it just isn't so. True, one side of town might be a little safer to live in than the other but 30 miles out in the country won't necessarily be so. All the same, I'm surprised that people who say they live in the country leave their doors unlocked, yet carry a gun in the house.

I wonder if Elmer Keith or Skeeter Skelton carried around the house?
Buy War Bonds.