The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2001, 02:02 AM   #1
notbubba

What tip has helped you the most?

What tip or tips have you gotten from TFL that have helped you the most?

Here's a chance to pass along a thanks.
Old November 20, 2001, 10:44 AM   #2
Bottom Gun

Paul B. was big help

It would have to be the help I received from Paul B.
He really went out of his way to steer me in the right direction when I had a reloading question regarding the .338 Win Mag.
This was my first experience with a belted case and Paul B. was kind enough to email me more than once with detailed instructions and suggestions which were a tremendous help to me. I probably would have gone off in the wrong direction had it not been for Paul's help.
I truly appreciate the time and effort he put into helping me out and hope I'm in a position to return the favor one day.

Thanks again , Paul. I've since grown very fond of this cartridge.

Old November 20, 2001, 10:52 AM   #3
stephen_g22

Anything Art posts.

His hunting knowledge and experience are an asset to TFL. I look forward to reading his thoughts and experiences.

I feel like a more experienced and knowledgable hunter drawing on his knowledge and experiences that I have been able to gather as a long time lurker and reader on TFL.

Thanks, Art.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:08 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Old November 20, 2001, 10:29 PM   #5
Legionnaire

Tips, not necessarily in order, and not necessarily from TFL:

1. Buy good optics, both scopes and binocs. Even my shotgun wears a Leupold scope (purchased second hand). No substitute for being able to clearly see the game.

2. Buy good boots. Gotta have great boots to support your feet and keep 'em warm and dry. Related, carry a spare pair of wool socks so if your feed do get wet, you can change into a warm, dry pair.

3. Use your underarm antiperspirant on your feet. Less perspiration from your feet helps keep them warm.

4. Shoot your hunting rifle sufficiently in the off season to know where your cold bore shot will land relative to your 100-yard zero. Make the appropriate allowance.

5. Wear layers of clothing rather than one set of heavy duds. Take off layers as you move around, put them back on as you sit and cool down. Avoid breaking a sweat while moving if possible, so you don't get chilled as the perspiration evaporates.

Could add more, but it's a start. Always more to learn . . .
Old November 21, 2001, 02:05 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess I'm like a lot of older guys in that once I've found something that works, I don't really look around much for new stuff.

There are a heckuva lot of guys at TFL who may not have been "into guns" for very long, but they have begun with the latest guns/scopes/mounts, etc. They reload with the newer powders, some of which seem to yield a bit higher velocities for the same pressures...

For me, then, it's a little bit here, a little bit there. I've had a lot of fun learning quite a bit here.

All thanks to Rich for the idea, time and money.

, Art
Old November 21, 2001, 05:54 AM   #7
Daniel

More of a reader, than poster.

TIP?

Art's off hand shooting style.

Stead of being a wobbling rock, Ima gentle swell of the ocean now. Almost feels like cheating, when I take those Coke cans out. Almost.
Old November 21, 2001, 02:56 PM   #8
Roadrunner

I'd like to thank all who responsed to my recent posts regarding ammo selection and field dressing. To name a few: Art Eatman, Legionnaire, Paul B., Mad Max, Brugger, Don Gwinn, and Hawkman.

I've always found the information and advice shared on the various TFL forums very helpful. The advice and suggestions lead to a successful and enjoyable first deer hunting trip. Thanks.