The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2005, 10:20 PM   #1
boogeyman

nova tactical

any opinions on this pump?

i'm fairly new to shotguns, and rifles for that matter. at present all i own is a hk USPc 40 and a Glock19. i figured i needed to add a shotty to the stable. i've narrowed it down to the winchester 1300, remington 870, mossberg 500, and the nova. i just wanted one long gun for now... doesn't the shotty make sense? or should i just look into a rifle?

this will be for home defense and the random boat trip/ rural excursion.
Old June 16, 2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Megaloman84

I like mine a lot.

Then again, I could be biased. It was my first firearm. I got it as a present for myself shortly after my 18th birthday

Seriousely though, here are the pros and cons as I see it.

Pros:

Polymer composite construction makes it pretty weatherproof, even more so with the H20 (marine magnum) version.

This also makes it light.

Controls are well placed, similar to a Mossburg 590. The action release and safety are both mounted at the front of the trigger gaurd.

Takedown is quick and easy. The whole gun comes apart in literally seconds with no tools.

If you get the ghost ring version, the sights are superb.

A shell isn't released from the magazine until the forearm is brought all the way to the rear. If you short-shuck it, the worst that can happen is that you'll close the bolt on an empty chamber. I've never jammed mine, not once.

3.5" chamber means you can use practically any load out there.

Cons:

Light weight means you're going to feel the recoil. It's not too bad with 2-3/4" shells, but you'll really start to feel the 3 inchers. 3.5 inch magnums are pure torture. Thankfully, a recoil compensator is available and can be inserted into the butt-stock. However, it's heavy and expensive.

The stock and receiver are integral, so no folders, pistol grips or other accessory stock are possible.
Old June 16, 2005, 09:06 PM   #3
SCCop

Shotguns

The Moss 500 and Rem 870 both have extensive histories with LE. I have shot both many times. I personally prefer the controls of the mossy but you won't go wrong either way.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old June 16, 2005, 09:23 PM   #4
Trip20

If it's for HD and an occasional road trip/excursion... I think it's a fine choice.

I have one, absolutely love it. Like Megaloman stated, it strips down in seconds - additionally it's a sinch to clean.

Durable is an understatement. I actually use mine for trap, and I'm not good at maintaining this thing (cleaning) and hasn't failed me yet. I haven't cleaned it in probably over 300shells. When I swab the inside of the receiver with my finger, there's really no fouling yet. The gun operates cleanly.

It should also be noted that the Nova uses the same rotating bolt design that the Benelli auto-loaders are praised for. That's one of the reasons I purchased my Nova.

For Benelli's first go at a pump gun, I think it's awesome. As stated however, the integral stock and lack of accessories is one "con" that may matter to you, it didn't me.