The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
sigcurious

Front Sight Training and Courses?

Looking to get some feedback on training and courses at Front Sight from people who have attended.

While looking into Front Sight, I have found that Dr. Piazza and some of his philosophies generate strong feelings. However, I am not looking to find out about him, but rather the quality of the training provided.

With that in mind, please limit the discussion to things directly related to the training quality and experience.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

There are numerous threads on Front Sight here and on GT or THR. I suggest that the OP research those.

Start a discussion of ideology, etc. and this is shut like lightning with sanctions. Discuss only the training. If you have opinions about anything else - religion, business practices, etc. - take it to PM.

Also, OP - do a search, ASAP.

GEM
Old May 2, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
sigcurious

I've been looking around the internet, unfortunately a lot of it seems to get bogged down by things not related to the training itself. I tried searching on here, but putting in the term "front sight" brought up a ton of threads referencing the part not the business. Can you post a link to GT? I am not familiar with that forum.

Thanks for the direction and re-enforcing the discuss training only aspect.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

glocktalk.com
Old May 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #5
sigcurious

Thanks.

Also at least here, I found that using the search term "frontsight" vs "front sight" brings up the appropriate threads. No such luck so far in THR, and I'll have to look on GT.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:47 PM   #6
KC Rob

I have attended several training courses at Front Sight and was very happy with the experience. When I went there, 10+ years ago, I was unaware of any of the stuff that gets people all worked up, maybe none of it had happened yet, but either way it didn't color my opinion, I just took the classes and was blissfully unaware of anything else. I learned a lot. I have never been to any other training schools so I can't compare it to anything else, but I thought it was very professional and well run.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:16 PM   #7
sigcurious

Good to know. I'm looking at them mainly because they're only an hour away from me, so it would be very convenient to utilize their services. Although there are a lot of training opportunities in the Vegas area, if I can get a lower cost membership at some point front sight would be a good resource to get training on a regular basis without it costing a fortune.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:28 AM   #8
dyl

An hour away? That is really nice.

A good friend of mine went last year with 2 other people.
No attempts to convert to a different faith were made at that time (unless membership is a religion unto itself). 2 resisted the impulse, 1 couldn't - and all three live near the east coast.

I wasn't given a complete account but their trip was several days long for the entry level course, you are tired at the end of each day but if you like shooting you'll have fun. They will be insistent that you shoot according to their style while you are there - and according to my friend it was more of a Weaver-esque stance. They use a buddy system where another student will keep an eye on you to make sure you are following their steps/technique in detail while shooting. Instructors were reported as friendly - one was interested in his conversion barrel from 40 caliber --> 9mm (to save money on factory ammo costs... can't pick up brass to reload) and they chatted, instructor shot a little with it and was impressed.

There were appropriate steps taken when a certain older gentleman just could not maintain safety rules - if I remember it included verbal warnings/correction, then continuing in dry fire only or observation only.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:53 AM   #9
Jeff22

I have never attended a class at Front Sight

I am slightly acquainted with several guys who have taken handgun classes there.

Separate from an issues with their business model, I believe that Col Jeff Cooper's "modern technique of the pistol" is the basis for their instruction with the handgun, or at least it was when these guys went.

The guys I talked to said that they enjoyed the class. They were both fairly experienced shooters who had not had any formal firearms training since their military service. They learned a few new things and got refreshed on lots of skills they were already somewhat familiar with.

One guy did note that one of the assistant instructors they had obviously wasn't real experienced as an instructor, but he was up front about being new, and had a very helpful manner though he wasn't real experienced yet at diagnosing problems.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:09 PM   #10
wun_8_seven

I have taken a couple classes there, didn't care for the sales pitch ,but the training was pretty good.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #11
sigcurious

Thanks for the input. Once some funds free up I think I'm going to get a membership. With it being so close I can't imagine not making use of it on a regular basis, and one of the primary complaints, the hard sell, shouldn't be an issue if there's nothing left to sell me lol.
Old June 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #12
ws6_keith

The training is good. You're not going to come out a SEAL (LOL), but even the entry level classes bring you up to speed better than most people you probably know.

If you are in Vegas, check out the Nevadashooters.com site. Lots of like minded people here, and many (like me) have memberships. We also have lines on memberships.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Frank Ettin
Staff

I've never been to Front Sight, but I know several people whose opinions I trust who have trained there. They speak well of the training.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper