The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2009, 03:26 PM   #1
cunanse

Atypical 7.62x39 casing

I once bought some PCM 7.62x39mm SP. They're inexpensive and boxer primed. I've started reloading in that caliber and noticed that the PCM brass and only the PCM brass takes a small pistol primer. Of course, there is only one type of small pistol primer available at Sportsman's Warehouse right now: Small pistol for magnum loads. I'm loading the brass with Hornady 123-gr. PSP with 23.6 grains of IMR 4198. I'm holding off on loading the PCM brass for a bit longer. Does anyone foresee unpleasant results using small pistol primers for magnum loads? If anyone can explain the difference between normal and magnum primers, I would be much obliged.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
res45

Actually Remington uses a small rifle primer in there X39mm cases,there are a few others also,aside for that the difference between standard and Magnum primer can very. In Wolf primer the only difference is the Mag primer have a thicker cup. With American primers the Mag primers produce a hotter flame to ignite certain types of powder that are normally harder to ignite with a standard primer and in larger capacity cases like the big Mag cal. rifles.

I wouldn't recommend using pistol primers in rifle cartridges,the cups are usually thinner and can be easily pierced,there not designed to hold rifle rd. pressures. Also if your loading the X39 rds. for a rifle such as an SKS or AK you should consider using either the CCI Mil-Spec primer or Wolf SRM primer to help eliminate the possibility of a slam fire from the free floating firing pin when it strikes the primer. The Mil-Spec primer are less sensitive to primer strikes than the standard primer. If your loading for a bolt gun then you can use any standard SR primer.

Stick to pistol primes for pistols and rifle primers for rifles,short cuts aren't worth the risk.

Last edited by res45; March 31, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:58 PM   #3
cunanse

Gotcha. I was simply under the impression that the differences between rifle and pistol primers were diameter. Good to know,
Old March 29, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
res45

Lots of good general info here.
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...ics/primer.cfm
Old March 29, 2009, 04:12 PM   #5
BobMcG

SPMPs not recommended.

A magnum primer is a "hotter" loaded primer than a standard and is capable of creating higher chamber pressures than a standard primer.

I have 7.62X39 Rem brass that uses SR primers but it's available in a LRP version too. I'm using CCI-400 SRPs in them.

I also have Lapua brass that uses LR primers but is also available in a SRP version. I'm using CCI-200 LRPs in them.

A LRP would = a hotter primer than a SRP. Unless someone else has experience to the contrary I don't think it would be unreasonable to use SRMPs in 7.62X39 cases using starter loads (not max) and working up.

My load info shows:
Hornady, using Win. brass & Win. LRPs.
Sierra, using Win. brass & Rem. LRPs.
Speer, using IMI brass & CCI LRPs.
Lyman, Win. bras & Win. LRPs.
Hodgdon, Midway brass & CCI LRPs.
Accurate, IMI brass & Rem. LRPs.
Vihta., Lapua brass & ??? LRPs.
Alliant, Fed. brass & CCI LRPs.
IMR, IMI brass & CCI LRPs.