The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 12, 2008, 12:03 AM   #1
smooth1962

tc hawkens 50 cal

iam looking for a used 50 cal barrel in 15/16 and 1/48 twist or more i have a green mountain barrel on it foe sabots 1/28 i want to go back to round ball

thanks
Old October 12, 2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Hawg

I was looking for a .54 last week. There were several .50's on ebay.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:58 AM   #3
ocharry

i would think a slower twist would work better for round ball....more like a 1-60

i was thinking that green mountain was making barrel replacements for the TC guns,, to replace the 1-48 barrels to better shoot round balls,,,maybe you can still get them

you might check,,,,IIRC fox ridge,,,,,i think it was foxridge.com

hard to tell what has happened now that they were sold

my .02

ocharry
Old October 13, 2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Ironwood

There is a big mis-conception about 1-48 twist barrels in .50 caliber. There is no problem getting excellent accuracy with them. It's a great twist. The barrels will shoot heavy conicals with acceptable accuracy and excellent accuracy with patched roundballs. Here is a typical 3 shot group with open sights off the bench at 50 yards. If I had 40 year old eyes instead of 71 year old eyes the groups would be tighter I'm sure.

.50 Caliber CVA St Louis Hawken 1-48 twist. From the bench @ 50 yards.

Last edited by Ironwood; October 13, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old October 13, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Hawg

A 1:48 twist is a good all around twist for both conicals and PRB's but not the absolute best for either one. However a slower twist pretty much forbids shooting conicals and a faster twist absolutely forbids shooting PRB's.
Old October 13, 2008, 10:34 AM   #6
Pahoo

Hawg Haggen + 1
That's prettty much it, in a nut shell. Currently do not have a M/L that shoots better than my 1:66 in a 32" barrel with peep sights at 80 to 100 yds.
My Lyman shoots this kind of groups at 50yds. with PRB but selective on Conicals or Sabots and it has a 1:48.

Ironwood
I find your patch a bit interesting. Exactly what is it and how is it lubed? I like the print.

smooth1962
Go to Cain or Green Mountain and see what is available. I'm sure both can help. As far as a used barrel, good ones are hard to find, if not impossible. The last ones I saw, was on EBAY. While looking, perhaps you might want to include a .45 caliber.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 13, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
sundance44s

Track of the wolf has a good many of the Greenmountain drop in barrels for TC rifles ...I`ve bought 4 with the 1 in 70 twist for shooting round balls out of my Thompsons . flinter and cap locks . These are really good round ball shooters ....The Thompson 1 in 48 twist stock barrels left me with much to be desired...I insist on tack drivers from a bench ...These Greenmountain barrels fit the bill.
Old October 18, 2008, 04:48 AM   #8
mossie

trade?

I have a TC PA Hunter Carbine barrel (22" long) with 1/66 twist that would fit your barrel channel and stock; it's .50 caliber and flint ignition. This barrel is new and unfired. I bought the rifle new and unfired for the stock and lock. I already had two PA Hunters one is 31" and the other is the 22" carbine.

They are outstanding roundball shooters; I use 80 grains of Swiss or Goex 2f black powder with a .495 Hornday ball and .020 patch. One big hole at 70 yards. I would be willing to trade you even up for your 1/28 twist barrel if it's flint ignition; I would like to try sabots and conicals but don't want to buy a new rifle; just a GM drop-in. I can't find one in flint ignition.

Track of the wolf has some barrels that would drop into your stock listed. GM will be making a 15/16" .54 caliber 1/70 twist 32" long percussion barrel for drop-in on TC stocks this winter and will be available for sale in the spring. The production run is for 50 barrels only; so you must contact GM to get on the list if you want one. Speak to Kerry at GM.

They would consider making a run of the same barrel but in flint ignition if there were enough standing orders that they didn't have to keep a great deal in inventory. The minimum production run is 50 barrels and they need at least 35 standing orders to make a run; I urge anyone interested in a 15/16" .54 flinter 1/70 twist GM drop-in to place their order as soon as possible. Again; contact Kerry at GM to place a standing order.

There is a tread running on The Muzzleloading Forum concerning this under flintlocks.

If you want to trade your barrel for my extra carbine barrel send me a Personal Message on the forum board; just click on my screen name and a drop box comes down.