The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2008, 08:13 PM   #1
MyGunsJammed

I'm depressed, looks like my pistol permit will get denied :(

Well today I went down to 1 Police plaza for my interview with my investigating officer for the "residence/target" pistol permit.

Upon getting there I furnished all the needed documents that were requested, then he started asking me a bunch of questions off of a 8.5 X 14" questionairre and wrote down my responses.

So basically the questions asked of me were:

1) Are you aware of the rules regarding deadly force?
Yes, only for self defense if I feel my life is threatened on my own property.
2) Who do you live with?
I live with my younger brother, mom and dad
3) Whats your reason for applying for a pistol permit? Target and collecting
4) Do you know how you're supposed to transport the pistol?
In a locked box, in the trunk of a car, ammo separate; or if I'm taking public transportation to the range in a discreet bag, locked in a box, ammo separate

So he also informs me of the rules:
1) You're only allowed 1 pistol purchase every 3 months
2) Your license is only valid in NYC and you cannot go to any range outside NYC
3) You may keep the gun loaded inside the house
4) when approved, a letter will be mailed to you to come and pick up your license and purchase order

The problems:

The thing that I had a problem with is that when I answered that I live with my parents, he then asked me if my parents knew I was applying for a permit....so I said no, but my brother does, and he has provided a "notarized" letter of his approval. I then said give me some time I can try to get a letter from them..

so thats basically it.... it really sucks for me man, as I do have my own phone line in the house in my name, and I've provided all the other required documents, and now I have to get approval from my folks?

The way I see it, one of the requirements was to get one letter from someone I live with, so I chose my brother and got it from him....

so anyway, I take my mom out for dinner and told her I was applying for the permit and needed her written and notarized "ok" so then she tells me, uhh son, I disapprove, once you move out you can do whatever you'd like, so this then pretty much sealed my fate for a denial...

it looks like my chances of getting a NYC permit is shot until I move out...
which to me I think sucks...

any comments, please try to be nice, I'm feeling really bad already...

In addition I also have a rifle/shotgun permit application pending also, which I hope doesnt get denied, as there was no personal interview portion.... but knowing that the applications are linked I'd hate to get denied and be out of several hundred dollars worth of fees spent.

The other thing is that I dont want these denials to be on my permanent record, that'll come back to haunt me later when I apply for a permit in case I ever move out of state.

another thing is that I currently have my non-resident FLA CCW permit.... will I have problems if I apply for other states non-resident CCW permits?
Old February 18, 2008, 08:21 PM   #2
ghalleen

I feel sorry for you, but...

If you still live at home with your parents, then you live by their rules. If you want a gun, and want the freedom to make your own choices, be an adult and get your own place to live.
Old February 18, 2008, 08:36 PM   #3
higgy1911

Sorry about your woes friend. Shame about your folks not supporting you.

I don't buy the "Under their Roof" bit. I see how that applies to a lot of things, but not really guns. If it effects the home, or the other members of the home that's one thing. But a firearm is a deeply personal item. Just like we don't want the government telling us what to have and how to keep it, neither should, after we have come of age, the opinions of our elders be particularly relevant in determining whether or not to own a firearm.

Like the line goes from that old western where the peasant says to the gunfighter, "everyone carries a gun" and the shooter replies "sure, same as they wear pants".

It shouldn't matter who's roof your under, nobody can tell you not to wear your pants.
Old February 18, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
MyGunsJammed

Quote:
I feel sorry for you, but...

If you still live at home with your parents, then you live by their rules. If you want a gun, and want the freedom to make your own choices, be an adult and get your own place to live.

I hear what you're saying, I just consulted a buddy of mine who is an attorney and a licensed gun owner as well and he told me to call my investigating officer in a few days and tell them that my parents have no problem with me going to the range etc, but they are just "philosophically opposed" to guns and on that principle wont sign a letter for me....

Quote:
Sorry about your woes friend. Shame about your folks not supporting you.

I don't buy the "Under their Roof" bit. I see how that applies to a lot of things, but not really guns. If it effects the home, or the other members of the home that's one thing. But a firearm is a deeply personal item. Just like we don't want the government telling us what to have and how to keep it, neither should, after we have come of age, the opinions of our elders be particularly relevant in determining whether or not to own a firearm.

Like the line goes from that old western where the peasant says to the gunfighter, "everyone carries a gun" and the shooter replies "sure, same as they wear pants".

It shouldn't matter who's roof your under, nobody can tell you not to wear your pants.
Thanks for your understanding, but too bad for me though, I know I'll have better chances a) if I move out and get my own place or b) move out of state....

But anyhow, I would have done fine if that question was never asked.
Old February 18, 2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Sorry higgy, but I agree with ghalleen. When a kid is living with his parents, in their home, they get to make the rules covering the living arrangements, and that can include a rule to the effect that no guns are allowed. Yes, "...after we have come of age, the opinions of our elders be particularly relevant in determining whether or not to own a firearm..." if we are living on our own in our own place. This is not a matter of a parent's opinion deciding whether or not you own a gun. It's a matter of parents deciding the terms under which you, as their child, live under their roof. If you're of age, get you own roof, and you too can decide what comes under it.
Old February 18, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Shadi Khalil

My God, that sux dude.

I have a freind that lives in NYC and wanted a pistol, once we looked at the laws we started looking for dogs. The thing I cant beleive is the whole noterized letter thing, thats just beyond reasonable. Here in VA, its about as easy to get your permit as it is to get a DL, maybe easier. The courts are very helpful and make it the process quite smooth. In fact, I recently misplaced my permit and the process to get a new one took one week. I filled out a form, had it noterized, sent a 10 money order on a monday and friday afternoon I was packin again. The lady from the CHP dept. (I was suprised that they had a dept. dedicated to CHP) called me to make sure I had recieved it and all the info was correct. Move to VA! we'd love to have you!

Old February 18, 2008, 09:00 PM   #7
kristop64089

Move away from NYC.

And as much as it sucks, their house, their rules. Once you have your own home it will be your rules.

Sucks nonetheless tho.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:03 PM   #8
kristop64089

And now to rub it in

Come to Missouri, ya want a gun, ya buy a gun. Bought 3 last week, and over 30 this year. It is the SHOW ME state
Old February 18, 2008, 09:04 PM   #9
YukonKid

Sorry higgy, i dont agree either.

I dont know where you grew up, but in my dads house i did what he said i could do and i didn't do what he said i couldn't do. Thats just the way it was. You have no rights when your on property held by someone else. Its a respect thing.

I would recommend putting any weapons purchases on hold and saving up for an apartment or house.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 18, 2008, 09:05 PM   #10
MyGunsJammed

I can see both sides of the previous members responses, yea, I'm an adult living at home still.... I work a good job maiing about $50K a year, am a responsible family member, and have a wide array of hobbies, modded jap cars, and crotch rocket sportbikes, and guns being one of them...

I'm also saving a lot of $$ trying to get my own place so please dont bash me on that completely...I already feel bad...I'm just in an unfortunate situation now, so I guess, losing the $400 in application fees, and also having a "permit denied" on my record sucks too....

But yea, I think I need to be looking for my own place as soon as I financially can...
Old February 18, 2008, 09:07 PM   #11
MyGunsJammed

Quote:
And now to rub it in

Come to Missouri, ya want a gun, ya buy a gun. Bought 3 last week, and over 30 this year. It is the SHOW ME state
I used to live in MO..... I coulda sworn I got so bored livin out there.... there was nothing to do out there for fun lol....

Quote:
My God, that sux dude.

I have a freind that lives in NYC and wanted a pistol, once we looked at the laws we started looking for dogs. The thing I cant beleive is the whole noterized letter thing, thats just beyond reasonable. Here in VA, its about as easy to get your permit as it is to get a DL, maybe easier. The courts are very helpful and make it the process quite smooth. In fact, I recently misplaced my permit and the process to get a new one took one week. I filled out a form, had it noterized, sent a 10 money order on a monday and friday afternoon I was packin again. The lady from the CHP dept. (I was suprised that they had a dept. dedicated to CHP) called me to make sure I had recieved it and all the info was correct. Move to VA! we'd love to have you!
Yeah, I have dreams of leaving NYC one day and moving out to a nice souther, and gun friendly state.... here, when I was interviewed, I felt like I was a prisoner being interrogated.....kinda like I had to answer a lot of questions and get so many notarized letters, show paystubs, my SS# card, Utility Bills etc etc.... too much hassle and hoops to go through
Old February 18, 2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Sgt.Fathead

I agree very strongly about the 'My House, My Rules' creed but do sympathize. NJ is much better but we don't make NY money here either. that said, I run a small scrap business and get my main check and benefits from my job as a night shift custodian at a local public high school. Money isn't the whole ball of wax. I've lived in Manhattan. made the big money and while it's a nice place to visit three or four times a year, I'd never live there again.

Jersey City is right across the river and the laws less Draconian. But remember what that first PA sign says as one heads out of Jersey on Route 80 West:

"America Begins Here"

It's true, so true.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:07 PM   #13
Father Time

+1 to moving from new york. Too many rules up there to have a shooting hobby.

1. in your parents house you should respect thier wishes.

2.Times have changed since I was a kid (dad bought me a remington 870 when I turned 13)
Old February 18, 2008, 09:09 PM   #14
kristop64089

Quote:
so I guess, losing the $400 in application fees

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? what is that all about?

Please explain as I know nothing about life east of the MISSISSIPPI
Old February 18, 2008, 09:10 PM   #15
hoytinak

Yeah it sucks now but you'll get it. Don't let it get you down too bad. I do agree that while your there you should follow their rules. Could be worse, I've been in the military for 12 years, I'm 30, getting out in 2 weeks and moving back home (yes, with my mother) till I get into my own house.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:14 PM   #16
SIGSHR

It's NYC, they seem to have repealed the Second Amendment there. Giuliani
stood up before the NRA Convention, said "I used gun control to fight crime
in NYC"-under his administration 55% of those who had permits to carry were refused renewal, one NYPD Brass Hat said it's a privilege, not a right, the fact
that you've had a license for 30 years means nothing. Among those refused renewal were Joan Rivers, William F. Buckley and the publisher of Black Enterprise Magazine. So you are in some distinguished company
Old February 18, 2008, 09:18 PM   #17
MyGunsJammed

Quote:
I agree very strongly about the 'My House, My Rules' creed but do sympathize. NJ is much better but we don't make NY money here either. that said, I run a small scrap business and get my main check and benefits from my job as a night shift custodian at a local public high school. Money isn't the whole ball of wax. I've lived in Manhattan. made the big money and while it's a nice place to visit three or four times a year, I'd never live there again.

Jersey City is right across the river and the laws less Draconian. But remember what that first PA sign says as one heads out of Jersey on Route 80 West:

"America Begins Here"

It's true, so true.
Is it easier to get a pistol permit in NJ?

and no, I've never seen that sign "America begins here"

Quote:
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? what is that all about?

Please explain as I know nothing about life east of the MISSISSIPPI
To get an NYC permit, you have to pay like $340 application processing fee + $94.25 finger printing fee.... both non-refundable. I once read somewhere that they made the fees so high just to discourage people from applying.
and when it comes time to renew every 3 years you have to pay $340 again...

Quote:
Yeah it sucks now but you'll get it. Don't let it get you down too bad. I do agree that while your there you should follow their rules. Could be worse, I've been in the military for 12 years, I'm 30, getting out in 2 weeks and moving back home (yes, with my mother) till I get into my own house
But I wish it was easier to get....

but anyhow, I'm going to call the officer in a few days and tell him whats up, and tell him the truth....
maybe he'll have a change of heart and approve it anyway, and maybe he wont, and then just send me the deny letter....
Old February 18, 2008, 09:19 PM   #18
YukonKid

ha, times have not changed everywhere. My dad gave me his single shot .22 bolt for my 8th birthday just like my grandpa gave him. It was the happiest moment in my short life. I got a dirtbike and a 12 gauge for my 13 birthday and it just kept going from there.

I would move out of NY. I too like to mod 4x4's (no ricers for me) and motos. I dislike NY city, its full of snotty arrogant morons who think they are better than everyone else because they where 500 dollar shirts designed by some gay italian. I will stick with Filson and Carhartt

YK

P.s. I know not everyone from New York is like that, but i have traveled to 5 continents several times and never have i been anywhere with more arrogant snobs, except maybe Paris so for you nice New Yorkers, i apologize
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 18, 2008, 09:23 PM   #19
kristop64089

Quote:
I used to live in MO..... I coulda sworn I got so bored livin out there.... there was nothing to do out there for fun lol....
Where?

No offense but ya must be a city slicker. We have all sorts a fun here, Just not as lively or sinful as NYC
Old February 18, 2008, 09:25 PM   #20
MyGunsJammed

Quote:
ha, times have not changed everywhere. My dad gave me his single shot .22 bolt for my 8th birthday just like my grandpa gave him. It was the happiest moment in my short life. I got a dirtbike and a 12 gauge for my 13 birthday and it just kept going from there.

I would move out of NY. I too like to mod 4x4's (no ricers for me) and motos. I dislike NY city, its full of snotty arrogant morons who think they are better than everyone else because they where 500 dollar shirts designed by some gay italian. I will stick with Filson and Carhartt

YK

P.s. I know not everyone from New York is like that, but i have traveled to 5 continents several times and never have i been anywhere with more arrogant snobs, except maybe Paris so for you nice New Yorkers, i apologize
no offense taken bro..... I just have to face the fact, I'm living in the wrong state. When my family first came to America, they actually lives in STL, MO for a few years, but then moved to NYC cuz jobs for their professions were more readily availible...

Quote:
Where?
No offense but ya must be a city slicker. We have all sorts a fun here, Just not as lively or sinful as NYC
I lived in St. Louis, in this neighborhood called Creve Coeur, and went to Chaminade College Prep on S. Lindburgh Blvd.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:26 PM   #21
Buzzcook

You should have discussed this with your parents before you applied.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:29 PM   #22
MyGunsJammed

Quote:
Buzzcook You should have discussed this with your parents before you applied.
yeah, you're right....
Old February 18, 2008, 10:30 PM   #23
Johnc

Mygunsjammed,

Quick question, do your Mom and Dad own the house that you live in?

Or do they rent? I am thinking about a potential blitz or end run around the system.

John
Old February 18, 2008, 10:35 PM   #24
MyGunsJammed

Quote:
Mygunsjammed,

Quick question, do your Mom and Dad own the house that you live in?

Or do they rent? I am thinking about a potential blitz or end run around the system.

John
They own the house.....

I have my own phone line to my room, so I used my utility bill as proof of address.

one of the requirements was to get one person who lives with me to sign their approval, so I asked my brother, and he gave his approval....

Is there a place in the rule books that say I must own the property? but anyway, there's no point now.... my permits most likely gonna get denied

I'm gonna give it a few days, call the officer and give him my "explanation" that my parents are aware that I applied, but since they are "anti-gun" people politically and "philosophically", that they refused to sign based on this "principle"
Old February 18, 2008, 10:40 PM   #25
mountainclmbr

When you live in a "Peoples Republic" state you need to get used to the taste of boot.