The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 2, 2013, 07:46 AM   #1
oc1979

Garand vs SKS?

I have the opportunity to purchase a M1 Garand (very good condition, originally purchased as service grade, $750) or Yugo SKS (excellent condition, $300, matching numbers) from a dealer.

Don't have the funds to buy both.

I have a C&R. I don't have either rifle in my collection.

The purchase would be for the range, my enjoyment. Don't need for HD.

Which would you buy?

Thanks.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Sport45

The M1.

You might find a better deal through the CMP.

But then, I have no use for a SKS and they really don't tickle my fancy.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Zhillsauditor

The M1 will probably be more accurate. However, the SKS is easier to clean, the ammo is much cheaper, is easier to load and holds more rounds, and is less than half the price.

For your first milsurp, I'd go with the sks.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
kraigwy

I agree with the above post. You'd be better off forgetting both and getting a CMP Garand.

The Garand will be a much better "range gun", its more accurate, its as if not more reliable then the SKS.

Take them both to the range. You'll get higher scores at 1000 yards with the Garand then you can get at 300 yards with the SKS.

I've had an SKS, I've shot SKS's, I just can't seem to come up with any advantage the SKS has over the Garand.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 2, 2013, 08:32 AM   #5
FALPhil

I seriously doubt that an SKS will ever be a collectible as a Garand. For one thing, there were many more SKS' made. Heck, rumor has it they are still being made.

Garands, OTOH, are pretty much finished when it comes to manufacture in mass quantities. The CMP is getting close to the end and the price will only go up, unless the Koreans (which are pretty ragged from what I understand) are allowed back in the USA.

Overall, I would think that the Garand is a much better investment. And I would highly recommend you get one from the CMP rather than buying on the secondary market.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
oc1979

Appreciate the quick replies.

Service grade M1's are currently $625-$950 via CMP plus $25 S/H.....that is why I was considering purchase through dealer. He is someone I've purchased used guns from in the past; has been honest/fair in his appraisals.

Any specific reasons given this that I should still consider CMP?

Thanks.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
mapsjanhere

IMO, the SKS is a good price, the M1 is pricey if it's a run of the mill gun. Of course, if it has a Winchester op-rod or other rare parts it might be a good deal.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
tango1niner

For starters I am not an SKS guy but...

1. for general plinking the ammunition for the SKS will be much cheaper vs.
the M1 so you can shoot the SKS more for less $.
2. The SKS is more compact.
3. The M1 Garand, a fine AMERICAN MADE rifle can be damaged by using the
wrong ammunition.
4. Some find the recoil of the '06 excessive.
5. M1 is heavier and requires a special clip for ammo. The clips are plentiful.
6. The M1 has a greater effective range.
7. The M1 has greater collector value, just don't pay too much for it.
8. If you don't pay attention when loading the M1 can give you a sore thumb.

I do not own an SKS, it does well what it was designed to do. I prefer American made firearms. Lots of pros and cons.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
oc1979

Thanks for the input.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Willie Sutton

First gut answer: "Are you kidding?"

Second, more composed answer: A Garand is a real rifle with real history. The price difference between what you are holding in your hand at the store and the CMP price for an unknown one is minimal. Buy the Garand and you will never regret it. SKS's are as common as goose-dung at the park and are worth about as much as a collectable.

Willie

Old January 2, 2013, 11:51 AM   #11
FALPhil

Quote:
Service grade M1's are currently $625-$950 via CMP plus $25 S/H.....that is why I was considering purchase through dealer. He is someone I've purchased used guns from in the past; has been honest/fair in his appraisals.

Any specific reasons given this that I should still consider CMP?
The field grades that I have seen lately, while not pretty are gauging pretty good, that is, the throat and muzzle erosion is not to the point that you would need to replace the barrel. These go for $525 + $25 shipping. The other reason is that they ship it to your door.

Here are some articles that would probably benefit you to read:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/linker.as...overnment-cmp/

http://www.gunsamerica.com/linker.as...e-guns-arrive/

http://www.gunsamerica.com/linker.as...he-government/
Old January 2, 2013, 02:09 PM   #12
shaunpain

I do not own an M1, but I DO own a Yugo. $300 is a bit higher than I paid, but considering current prices that is not a bad deal. M1s are known to have issues with current commercial ammunition so I would look into exactly what kind of piece he us. I can't speak higher of the Yugo. It's a solid and milled receiver gun that is pretty accurate and about as difficult to put glass on as the Garand. Stripper clips for both are cheap and plentiful.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:01 PM   #13
tater134

I own both rifles and if I had the funds for only one I'd get the M1 hands down. I bought my SKS several years ago for $109 and its a great rifle but I'd take the M1 over it any day.

Just make sure you do a little research before dropping the cash on the M1 so you know what you're getting into.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:15 PM   #14
oc1979

Thanks for the links and other comments/suggestions.

The response has been helpful, and much more than I expected.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:19 PM   #15
tahunua001

the M1 is getting very hard to get ahold of, the CMP will probably be hard pressed to keep them in stock for more than a couple more years. I would get them, the SKS is in no danger of running out. also the garand is a much more sought after gun for collectors so if you ever did decide to sell it, you would be more likely to get your money back out of it than the SKS.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:57 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Expect the CMP to start destroying weapons instead of selling them, given the current administration, so get your Garand while you can, they are scarce and collectible. The SKS you can get anytime.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
jsmaye

Quote:
Expect the CMP to start destroying weapons instead of selling them, given the current administration, so get your Garand while you can, they are scarce and collectible. The SKS you can get anytime.
To "the current administration" they are one and the same, with either one's continued availability no more likely than the other. If the M1 is a 'Big Evil Rifle' to them, then so is the SKS.

Re: the CMP "destroying weapons instead of selling them" - this is based on what?

OP: to me this is akin to asking "I have $50,000 - should I buy a $50,000 Cadillac or a $25,000 Buick?" If you've got the money and are willing to spend it, spend it. There's nothing wrong with a Yugo SKS - it does what it was designed to do in the way it was designed to do it.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:55 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

'This is based on what?"

Simple, the CMP is a gov't program and can be ended at any time by E.O. or Congress. This administration will not allow CMP stocks to be stored away for the future, they would simply call it a cost-cutting move to lower the deficit and be done with it. Don't waste too much time getting what you can from the CMP, I don't think it will survive this administration.

For that matter, don't expect imports of milsurps to continue much longer, either. This administration is serious about getting rid of 'the gun culture' and is quite capable of taking such steps.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:10 AM   #19
tahunua001

the current administration has been in power for 4 years and in that four years has racked up 5 trillion dollars in debt. if they were going to cut the CMP as a 'cost cutting move' it would have been done long before now. CMP only deals with US citizens who have both documented firearms training and current participation in the shooting sports. it is pretty easy to convince a nation that guns are bad but it is a much larger stretch to convince them that a program like the CMP is causing the deaths of innocent lives nor is a military surplus funneling program costing money.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:54 AM   #20
johnm1

I have both. I load for the M1 and have tons of ammo for the SKS. Last year I loaded and shot over 1200 rounds of 30-06. I probably put 50 rounds down the tube of the SKS. And for some reason my SKS is quite accurate. Accuracy not being one of the natural traits of the SKS platform. But I almost always end up shooting the Garand. For one, I don't know of a sanctioned match that I can shoot the SKS in.

My Yugo was made in the 70's and probably never issued. My Garand is a 1953 HRA and never fought. But there is just something about the Garand.

My opinion.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #21
lordhedgwich

imo the garand and sks arnt in the same category to compare them. maybe m1 vs svt-40 or g-43 since they all fire a similar heavy round and are semi auto
Old January 4, 2013, 11:59 PM   #22
kraigwy

Quote:
Re: the CMP "destroying weapons instead of selling them" - this is based on what?
Quote:
'This is based on what?"

Simple, the CMP is a gov't program and can be ended at any time by E.O. or Congress. This administration will not allow CMP stocks to be stored away for the future, they would simply call it a cost-cutting move to lower the deficit and be done with it.
Not likely.

The CMP sells surplus rifles because they are required to by federal law to fund their Programs. Title 36 U. S. Code, 0701-40733.

This law has been in affect since the early 1900s, and last renewed in 1996 when the program was turned over to civilian management from the DCM (Division of Civilian Marksmanship run by the Army). The DCM was funded by tax dollars, the CMP is funded by sales of surplus rifles, ammo, and other products. They use no federal tax dollars.

This law also requires the CMP to conduct the National Matches (Camp Perry) and other CMP Games, conduct the Small Arms Firing Schools and other programs that provide marksmanship training to American Citizens.

The Small Arms Firing Schools teach American Citizens, including juniors, marksmanship using our existing military firearms.

The President cannot override this law, and I see no way possible for it to be over turned by congress.

If and when the CMP stops selling Garands, it will be because they ran out (and that wont be for a while).

These programs have been on going since Pres. T. Roosevelt started the programs in 1903. They aren't gonna end any time soon.

As to the topic at hand, the benefits of buying from the CMP are many, one, all firearms are checked by armors to make sure they are safe and functional. If something does turn out wrong, they will make good, you'll not find better service. Plus, and in my opinion, the most important, is the support of the CMP Shooting Programs, mainly the junior programs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 6, 2013, 02:49 PM   #23
jdscholer

I'm a big fan of the SKS, and love them for what the SKS is; very inexpensive to aquire and shoot; extremely reliable and easy to maintain; and very fun and accurate at the range it was intended for, (couple hundred yards) Heck, everybody should be issued one at birth.

That being said, I'd love to get a M-1, especially if it is known to be a good one. Since I know little about them, I'd try to find help with the purchase, and would probably spend a little more to get a peach if possible.

The two rifles aren't really in the same league as far as collectability or preformance, so I'd think realistically about what kind of shooting you're most likely to do. Pop cans and jackrabbits at a hundred yards, I'd take SKS. Big bullseye targets at the range, the m-1 hands down. jd
Old January 6, 2013, 03:08 PM   #24
dalegribble

i bought a mi garrand from j&g for $200+. it was a great gun but not really my style. i want (still) an m-14. i sold my garrand for $1000, 4 or 5 gun scares ago. i still have my $100 chinese sks tho. while the garrand might be a better gun and better investment the sks suites my needs better at this time.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:48 PM   #25
SteveBonning

Kraigwy;

Thanks for that very concise and factual explanation of CMP.

As to the original question, as with any gun, the buyer should ask themselves certain questions, 'what is the gun for?'. Are you looking for a historical piece, for use at competitions, as a fun shooter, are you concerned about maintenance requirements, costs of ammo, what is the availability of each weapon now and into the near future, etc.

Answer those questions and you'll come to your own conclusions.