The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 13, 2001, 11:19 PM   #1
BrianF-Jax

Palmetto Arms Co. Shotgun

Hi, I'm posting about a gun my uncle showed me. We're curious about its history/value.

Its a single shot, break-open shotgun. Just from eye-balling it, I'd say its a 12ga.

The receiver is marked "Palmetto Arms Co, Philidelphia, PA", the barrel is marked "August 12, 1913". I couldn't find any other markings. The gun feels pretty solid, and locks up tight. Its rather un-remarkable, and probably nothing special, but it was passed down through the family, so we're just kind of curious.

As always, thanks.

-Brian
Old October 14, 2001, 12:34 AM   #2
BADSBSNF81

Made by Stevens Arms.
Old April 30, 2011, 10:52 AM   #3
nohelp

Palmetto 12 guage shotgun

I also have a similar shotgun. It was handed down from my Father. It is a single shot, break back, 12 gauge, 32 inch barrel with a full choke. A dime is a snug fit in the end of the barrel. It has 'Palmetto' stamped on one side. I believe the stamp on the other side says Patented in May 07.
I break it out once a year for Thanksgiving. One shot at a turkey shoot usually yields a turkey. When I approach a turkey shoot with this plain long barreled gun, I always ask the other gentlemen in attendance for they consent. They stand holding very expensive guns with 28 in. barrels and reluctantly welcome me. I return their sportsmen like conduct by taking only 1 turkey. I welcome any information on the shotgun.

William Filyaw,
Charleston, SC
Old April 30, 2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Hawg

Palmetto was a trade name for low grade shotguns used by the Tryon Hardware Catalog co. in Phil. around the turn of the century. They were made by Stevens, Crescent and Hopkins & Allen.