The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Waldog

Sizing .40 S&W brass that was fired in a Glock

I have a several thousand 40 S&W cases that I am going to reload and shoot in an H&K. I have found that .40 cases that are fired in a Glock are shaped a lot like Hillary; kind of pear shaped. Since the case is small, if you use a normal resizing die and shell holder, nearly 1/4" - 5/16" of the bottom of the case does not get sized. Enough to prevent the case from entering a normal sized chamber. Although, I have not verified that. I have thought about un-screwing the decapping pin/holder and removing it from the sizing die. Then using a ram to push a fired case flush with sizing die and then using a wood dowel to tap the case out of the sizing die. Yeah, this would be slow, but I can't think of any other way to size a "Hillary shaped" case back to normal dimensions. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Waldog; June 1, 2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 30, 2007, 01:07 AM   #2
fourrobert13

I don't know why the brass would not go fully into the resizing die unless there is something really wrong with the brass. I have reloaded many of thousands of rounds of .40 for Glocks, HK's, etc., and have never encountered or heard of what you are saying. If the die is set correctly, and there isn' any problem with the brass, it should resize just fine. It sounds to me like you need to set youe rsizing die lower in order for it to resize that rest of the case. A picture would be nice, to see exactly what you are talking about, because I am just not picturing it in my head.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Overhill

I agree. I have reloaded many thousands of 40 that have all been shot through my Glocks without any problem whatsoever. Do you have any photos?
Old May 30, 2007, 02:21 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Quote:
Enough to prevent the case from entering a normal sized chamber. Although, I have not verified that.
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That gave me a good chuckle

If the bottom of the size die is 1/4" above the shellholder at the top of the stroke, 1/4" of the case is not going to get sized.
Old May 30, 2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Idaho

Last edited by Idaho; May 31, 2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old May 30, 2007, 05:33 PM   #6
spencerhut

Get and EGW Undersized Die

The EGW undersized die works pretty good for me on the Glock brass.
http://egw-guns.com/catalog/product_...products_id=40
Old May 31, 2007, 04:25 PM   #7
cheygriz

Easiest way is to find a commercial reloader in your area and have the brass roll-sized. That will bring it to factory spec all the way down to the rim.
Old May 31, 2007, 08:38 PM   #8
Tanzer

I read something about the "Glock belly", but I can't remember where. I like the Hillary thing better.
Old June 1, 2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Waldog

Roll sizing sounds the best, thanks. When using a normal sizing die, (I'm using "New" Hornady dies), the mouth of all the dies has a small bevel (bell?) to facilitate the case entering the die easier, especially in a progressive press. This bell mouth is about 1/8" long. The shell holder holds the case by the extractor groove on the case, or course. The distance from the extractor groove to the top edge of the shell holder is about 1/8" as well. With the shell holder firmly seated to the base of the sizing die, this gives a good 1/4" of the case that is not sized. The smaller the case, the more this is a factor. A really short case like a .25 acp only gets sized about 1/2 the length of the case because of the limitations of the shell holder and sizing die.

I have a S&W Model 59, 9mm that will not chamber a case, that has been fired in a Glock and resized using normal loading dies/shellholders. There is a "Hillary shaped bulge" just in front of the extractor groove, that doesn't get resized that prevents the case from chambering. It's difficult to see with the naked eye but, check the case with a micrometer and you'll see what I'm talking about. I had a heck of a time with reloaded 9mm shells not feeding in my S&W until I miked the cases and found the problem. That's the reason I asked the original question. I haven't check my H&K yet.
Old June 1, 2007, 09:46 AM   #10
Waldog

Spencerhut! Thanks for the link. That might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks again!!!
Old June 1, 2007, 10:28 AM   #11
GoSlash27

I've re-sized plenty of glock .40 brass. I haven't had any problems with it not chambering
Old June 1, 2007, 02:52 PM   #12
Bullet94

I use the EGW dies. They work good and also help with bullet setback.
Old June 2, 2007, 08:05 AM   #13
tlm225

Like others have already said, I've reloaded .40 that had been fired in glocks for years without a problem using standard RCBS carbide dies.
Old June 2, 2007, 08:15 AM   #14
SDC

Like above, I haven't noticed any problem with re-using Glock brass in any of my .40 pistols, but I have a Lee Factory Crimp die at the final stage on my Dillon turrets.
Old June 2, 2007, 10:05 AM   #15
gandog56

Quote:
Easiest way is to find a commercial reloader in your area and have the brass roll-sized. That will bring it to factory spec all the way down to the rim.
Might as well buy factory ammo if you're going to pay for that.