The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 8, 2001, 03:35 AM   #1
parabellum9x19

*Would a carabiner make for a good legal brass knuckle?*

Since brass knuckles are illegal and you can get jail time if caught with one, would a carabiner make for a good legal brass knuckle?

Here is a pic of a carabiner:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commer...6&prrfnbr=2438

If a cop asks you what you are doing with a carabiner you can say that you are using it as a key ring.
Old October 8, 2001, 03:37 AM   #2
parabellum9x19

Anyone know of a solid, large and heavy carabiner for sale? Please post urls.
Old October 8, 2001, 05:20 AM   #3
KPS

Try EMS or REI stores.If there are none where you live then buy from them online.They make some that are curved and fit the hand quite good.Another alternative would be one of these:http://www.shomertec.com/item.cfm?variable=108
Old October 8, 2001, 09:31 AM   #4
David Park

Yes it would, and it has been used as such. As KPS said, try to find one locally. Make sure it fits your hand, and get a heavier (steel?) model rather than lightweight aluminum.

One warning: the "carabiner as brass knuckle" idea isn't exactly a secret, so a cop could possibly still say it's a "dangerous weapon" if you are caught using it. Kinda like walking around with a roll of quarters, which got me questioned at an airport once.
Old October 8, 2001, 11:35 AM   #5
Betty

Definitely attach it to your keychain. And, you now have nice sharp keys to whack somebody with, too. I keep all sorts of "heavy objects" on my keychain for that purpose, including one of those rubber keychain containers that fit $5 worth in quarters, and a Spyderco Dragonfly. Ouch!
Old October 8, 2001, 12:12 PM   #6
PaladinX13

I'll second David's warning, I've had friends thrown out of clubs for having carabiners, small chains, kubotons, and padlocks. At my younger brother's college, carabiners are forbidden on campus (along with all other manner of keychain self-defense). So it's legal in the sense that carrying a baton or quarterstaff is legal....
Old October 8, 2001, 01:36 PM   #7
Joe Demko

Anything you use as a weapon will be considered a weapon when/if you are charged. A shovel becomes a weapon in the eyes of the law when you start beating somebody about the head and neck with it, and (as somebody already pointed out) use of carabiners as knucks is hardly top-secret information.
Old October 8, 2001, 01:38 PM   #8
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I think you are bound to hurt your hand.

Personally, I can easily dent wood, but I just slip a finger through the oval, and swing!
Old October 8, 2001, 08:33 PM   #9
parabellum9x19

I don't advocate using it as an offensive weapon only for self defense in case my pepper spray doesn't work. Brass knuckles will mean jail time where I live so I have to find an alternative. I will hook a key to it.

What is a good heavy and solid steel carabiner brand to buy?
Old October 8, 2001, 10:59 PM   #10
madgrad

Carbiner

When I was in the military a few years ago (about 9 )Carabiners were being used as improvised brass knucks by a few of my friends without much notice. But, as climbing equipment,and the cheap knock off key chain caribiners came more readily available to the general public, alot of people caught on to the trick, including some State Legislatures for amending them to the Penal Code as Brass Knuckles.

In other words as is said elsewhere on the board, if you carry a Carbiner and think the cops or people won't catch on to what it's other use is besides climbing, think again your wrong.
Old October 9, 2001, 12:54 AM   #11
parabellum9x19

madgrad, thanks for the input. I will tell them that it is used as a key ring. Cops won't buy it but a good lawyer might save my a_ss. Where I live almost everything is outlawed under the law. I always advocate trying to stay clear from trouble but sometimes trouble corners you and you have to defend yourself. I have pepper spray but it is not 100%.
Old October 9, 2001, 04:52 PM   #12
cbjessee@NH

I just brought my briefcase with carabiner attached to the handle through Logan airport in Boston - lots of LEOs of every description and National Guardsmen everywhere. My laptop was examined in garve detail, but the carabiner was not noticed in the least. Add it to you list.
BRET
Old October 10, 2001, 05:42 AM   #13
LBC

Both www.ems.com and www.rei.com sell steel carabiners, approx. $17-$22 each. The lightweight aluminum models can be had for $5-$6 each.
Old October 10, 2001, 06:41 AM   #14
ATeaM

I prefer the old "T" shifters used in hotrods. You can get them at any Kragen's or auto parts store.

Never actually carried one, but I did have to unscrew it from my '71 Maverick once .
Old October 10, 2001, 05:20 PM   #15
Kharn

Get a locking carabiner, a nonlocking one could get interesting when your skin gets caught in the gate.

Kharn
Old October 10, 2001, 07:21 PM   #16
CWL

Carabiners are only made in lightweight aluminum alloy. They're designed as climbing equipt. and are not made in steel or heavy materials.
Old October 11, 2001, 02:02 PM   #17
ChuteTheMall

carabiners

Carabiners are useful for many things besides climbing and knuckle-dusting.
For years I kept one on my dog's leash, made a quick way to secure it to almost anything. With nylon webbing (more climbing gear) it's the quickest way to secure something to a boat or canoe, or to secure a canoe to a tree. No knots to untie.
All my backpacks and daybacks have a 'biner or two attached.

The GI surplus ones are the heaviest, and cheapest, because for most purposes lighter is better. But I always used Chouinard, Black Diamond, REI, etc.
If you leave a locking model under salt water too long, you might need pliers to open it. Even the "mariner" models.

When I needed to step off the trail for a minute with free hands to take care of urgent business, I just dropped my pack and clipped the dog to it.

When a friend got his truck stuck at the bottom of a surprisingly short boat ramp, two biners and 15' of webbing made a quick tow strap to haul it out. That really tightened the knots, but the 'biners made it easy to disconnect the tow vehicle.

The more you carry and use carabiners everyday, the less they will feel like weapons instead of common tools.
Old October 11, 2001, 06:05 PM   #18
parabellum9x19

I found a STEEL ones at:

http://www.ems.com/products/product_...=1002841869515

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...0&prmenbr=8000

Who sells the GI surplus ones?
Old October 11, 2001, 09:27 PM   #19
LBC

Yes, gentlemen, STEEL, as I previously stated
Old October 13, 2001, 12:53 AM   #20
parabellum9x19

LBC, I appreciate the links you posted
Old October 13, 2001, 03:11 PM   #21
PaladinX13

http://www.totasak.com/whatis.htm
Old October 14, 2001, 08:16 AM   #22
scouter27

Steel 'biners are used for rescue, where there may be a lot more weight than your average climber weighs (150#), including rescurer and 1+ rescuee's, metal litter, etc.
Old October 17, 2001, 03:32 PM   #23
PaladinX13

Plastic knuckles...
http://www.clicshop.com/magasin/solu...9504975.2.html

Also, visit your local hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowe's and check the fasteners section... next to the chains and paracord there should be tons of "industrial" carabiners. Nice and heavy all steel and very cheap (about $2 and no shipping!).