The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2011, 11:20 PM   #151
Catfishman

Quote:
Compared to a lot of things, and over three years, yea, 52 is a minuscule number.
You're kidding right?

We're talking human deaths from one breed of dog.

Compared to what? Cancer, car accidents?

The point is that 52 people died that didn't have too. And countless suffering and injuries.

Pitbulls and Rottweilers:

Cost - Dozens of innocent people being mauled to death every year.
Benefit - Hell if I know?
Solution - Better laws, till then, reliable handguns.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:20 PM   #152
bigkrackers

About eight years ago I was living in some apartments and I was walking to my car along the narrow concrete path from the front of the apartment doors to the covered carport when my new upstairs neighbor was walking the same path from the carport to the apartments. She was a very attractive, very athletic, petite woman in her 20's. No more than 5'4" and maybe 100 lbs. She was being walked by an adult rott that probably had 30lbs over her if not more. As I passed them on the narrow path the dog reached up and clamped down on my forearm. Now I'm sure in the dog's mind I had done something to warrant this behavior but as this little, tiny woman is failing miserably at trying to pull the dog off all I could think about was why on earth do you own this dog? You can't possible control a dog of this size. I mean look, he's using my arm as a chew toy and you can't even get the dog's head to move when you yank on his chain.

Anyway, I jammed my thumb in it's left eye and it let me go and I only have a small scar left today but I would have to say that in a lot of these pit and rottie attacks, any dog attack for that matter, the owners are mostly to blame for not understanding what kind of dog they have and what special care is needed for the breed.

Every breed is different and while you might be a dog person that doesn't mean you should own any dog you want.

Anyway, back to the OP's question, multiple layer defense is your best option. Don't rely on just a gun in this situation.

Last edited by bigkrackers; July 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:36 PM   #153
MLeake

Catfishman, during that same three years, how many people died due to alcohol or tobacco?

Cost: easily six figures worth of lives.

Benefit: a buzz?

Solution: do you really want to legislate everything?
Old July 21, 2011, 11:50 PM   #154
Wag

In my prior post, I mentioned that we always had 10 or 15 dogs at any given time. We never once had a Rottweiler or Pit Bull or any other supposedly aggressive breed except for the one year we had a German Shepherd which, I might add, was pretty decent as a farm dog. That is, he wasn't any more or less aggressive than any of our other mutts.

Those mutts were actually as vicious or moreso than the so called "aggressive breeds" all y'all are talking about.

Domesticated breeds are only vicious if you raise them that way. There is nothing wrong with Rotts or Pits or other mastiffs, Dobies or Shepherds. If you raise them gentle, they will always be gentle.

Likewise, the mutts like we had can be pretty frightening. We never abused ours but they didn't get a lot of hands on loving and they defended their territories with a vengeance.

Which was fine with us, living out in the boonies like we did.

--Wag--
Old July 21, 2011, 11:51 PM   #155
JohnKSa
Staff

There are places on the web to discuss the relative merits of dog breeds but TFL ain't it.

That's all for this one although it stayed more or less on topic more than most dog threads.