The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 1999, 12:11 PM   #1
jjpi

The local steel challenge club only allows lead bullets to be fired during practices and matches. I am wondering if a plated bullet will cause my barrel to lead up, as i'm planning on working up a lightweigh high velocity load. Also, does anyone have any suggested loads? Thanks.
Old August 5, 1999, 10:56 AM   #2
nwgunman

jjpi: I see you got zero replies to your question about 9mm lead loads for your g17. Glock of course is hinky about lead bullets in the polygonal rifled barrels, but I've seen it done with no k-B. I myself only have .40cal Glocks so can't help you out except to suggest that the plated bullets are probably the way to go. FYI: I never shoot lead in my Glocks. Why no fmj on the plates at your club? Is it a political thing? And yes, the plating will help with not leading up the bore... but you may now get the copper plate fouling it instead. Stay safe

[This message has been edited by nwgunman (edited August 05, 1999).]
Old August 5, 1999, 11:00 AM   #3
jjpi

They say jackets are a safety hazard, although i saw backsplash from everyone elses lead, but none from my JHP's. I've also been told that jacketed ammo is too hard on the plates......

------------------
Old August 7, 1999, 11:28 PM   #4
dundee

I have shot thousands of lead bullets in my g17. Most were a IPSC minor load of 4.2 gr of 231 and a 125 lead bullet. This chrono's about 1050 from my glock and nicely makes 125 minor power factor. Leading was never a problem. I understand the most problems with lead are with 40 cal. The 9's just keep on shooooting.
Use a brass brush every couple of hundred rounds to keep the lead from building up.
Old August 8, 1999, 09:22 AM   #5
CCV

To answer your question..Yes you can shoot plated bullets in your Glock.

However, with the exception of Speer, I have never found a plated bullet that will shoot as accurately as a good jacketed bullet.

If you find one, please let me know.