The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 18, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
jebib

modification to a henry ar-7

I have a henry ar-7 recently purchased. I would like to "customize" it with an aftermarket target barrel. I am respectfully asking two (2) questions: (1) am I better off, generally speaking, buying a version with a pre-attached rail; and (2) how about some ideas on a scope that would be appropriate for this setup? Thanks for listening, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old July 19, 2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Crankylove

Wouldn't the heavier target barrel and scope kinda defeat the purpose of the type of weapon?

The whole small size, light weight, takes up less space than tradition style rifle, stuff it in the stock and throw in a backpack type thing?
Old July 19, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
jebib

why do it?

I'm not arguing with you on your point at all. I just want to do it cause I can. That wouldn't be anything I'd lug along with me anyway. Candidly, with all due respect to the weapon as a firearm, I just want to see how it looks, as I suspect pretty neat, that's all. Nothing sophisticated, probably pretty juvenile, I admit.
Old July 20, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I guess you could put any .22 barrel on that rifle, but making a target rifle involves proper bedding, a good trigger, a solid setup for quality sights, etc.

Sure, a 28" bull barrel would look odd on an AR-7, but it's your project. (I bet it won't float, though. )

Jim
Old July 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #5
JMP

Here's some target barrels made for them.
Old July 21, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
barnbwt

If you want a fat barrel, just do an integral suppressor; way more applicable to what the gun is meant for (field use, where hearing protection may or may not be available or practical). Waaay cooler than a bull barrel, too

TCB
Old July 22, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
emcon5

Have you considered converting it to be belt fed? That would look even more neat.