The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2010, 09:40 PM   #26
CrustyFN

Quote:
Batch reloading makes it easier to compare powder levels in charged cases, while they are all side by side in a reloading block. One can easily spot powder levels that are a little more or less than their neighbors, indicating an errant charge.
Yes but at 50 rounds per hour that won't meet most people's needs, especially if they shoot competition. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, it is just too slow for most meeds.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:46 PM   #27
Tacoma

I'll back Crusty on this one. He's 100% on based on my experience. This is a very simple and reliable machine to run. (BTW: I sold my Dillon SDB and went to a LCT. It's that good) You also get a better "feel" for each operation since they happen individually.

I'd also point out that allot of "production rate" figures are dependant on set up times. ( i.e loading primers into the hopper, keeping powder hopper full, replenishing components , boxing up finished rounds, etc.) this set up tiem is significant and doesn't change much from a turret to a progressive. Consequently the 4 strokes/finished round of the LCT, is only part of the equation. You can get 50 rounds an hour IF you want to run it like a single or 200 an hour if you need more.

Last edited by Tacoma; May 9, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:55 PM   #28
Nnobby45

World's full of folks (we've all been there) who buy the beginners model and end up upgrading.

Dillon, 550B should halndle your needs. Or go to Brian Enos' site and look around. He covers different machines in depth according to one's needs.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:13 AM   #29
Sevens

If you were planning to or currently shooting competition where you need hundreds to thousands of rounds each month then you'd be willfully handicapping yourself to do that kind of production with a turret press made by anyone.

That's a job best addressed by a true progressive.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:40 AM   #30
Legionnaire

Good info in this thread, and I can't add anything of substance ... except my own experience / decision. I'm a relative newbie to reloading, and wanted to set up to do accurate rifle reloading for targets and hunting (not BR), and some handgun ammo, mostly for revolvers. I decided on a Lee Classic Turret press, bought four removable turrets, and four sets of dies in my most-loaded for calibers. I couldn't be happier!

I think at some point I'll put together a portable reloading bench built on a folding Workmate, and for that I'll buy a single-stage. That'll be for load development at the range, where all I'll need is a bullet-seating die.

But doing the batch processing described in this thread, and working on brass prep so my stored brass is all sized, decapped, and flared (where necessary), I'm very happy with the Lee Classic Turret.

From one newbie to another ...
Old May 10, 2010, 03:51 PM   #31
volgunner

Thanks again, guys

Thanks again to all of you for continuing to share your knowledge. I've ordered the Speer and Lyman manuals, and I look forward to reading them when they arrive. Based on what I've seen to date, I'm leaning toward the Lee Classic Turret, but I want to "chew" on it more after I'm a little more knowlegeable.

Regards,
Russell
Old May 10, 2010, 07:35 PM   #32
CrustyFN

Quote:
I have a Lee Turret, but to get anywhere near 200 per hour I have to be using the four-shell plate and auto-indexing. Does your Classic Turret have a single-shell ram or the multiple-shell rotating plate?
Lost Sheep I'm using the classic turret.

Old May 10, 2010, 11:31 PM   #33
qcpunk

I still use an old RBCS single stage for all of my handgun and the little rifle reloading that I do. Reloading batch style. Yeah it's a little tedious, but I'm sort of a tedious guy anyways. Works for me

IMO, If you're new I might suggest a single stage for 2 reasons...
1) Keeping the start up cost down.
2) Slow progression as you become more comfortable and experienced with the processes.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old May 11, 2010, 08:00 AM   #34
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
+1 qcpunk , It's always best to start at the beginning . You don't see very many race car drivers with learners permits !
Old May 11, 2010, 06:38 PM   #35
CrustyFN

All good points and everybody has their preference.

Quote:
It's always best to start at the beginning . You don't see very many race car drivers with learners permits !
True but if I had never riden a motorcycle and wanted to start it wouldn't be on a trail 90 to learn. Just because a car will go200 MPH doesn't mean you have to drive it that fast. I started on the Lee classic turret and it was very easy to set up and learn on.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:54 PM   #36
Lost Sheep

Well, shut my mouth!

Thanks CrustyFN, for the link to that video (post #25). I have been using my two Pro 1000 Lee presses for 30 years and never knew they were not just conversions of the Lee Classic Turret (having never seen one in person). That video clears up a lot of questions.

Now, I want to try one. I have always had trouble getting more that about 150 cases per hour from my Pro 1000's (mostly because of difficulty in getting the primers to feed and stay upright.) This weekend, in one hour, I made 97 rounds, lone with no primer in place and another with the primer installed sideways. Made me want to go back and see how well I could do with my Rock Chucker again.

I'm thinking I might be able to do better with the Classic Turret if I could find one to try out.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Lost Sheep
Old May 11, 2010, 10:08 PM   #37
CrustyFN

The safety prime takes a little tinkering in the beginning to get it set up right but once set up right mine has worked near flawless. You might not load much faster with the classic turret but without all of the primer problems you are having it sounds like it would be a lot more enjoyable. I wish you lived closer, I would let you try mine.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:51 AM   #38
WESHOOT2

killin' me

I can 'comfortably' make 800 / hr on my XL650.

I chose single-staging the other day to make 300 rds of 45 ACP (LEE Reloader, with Hornady measure / Lyman flare-drop, 7.5" to the left of my Co-Ax holding the LEE size and seat and crimp dies).
Took almost two hrs.

I had time....