The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old July 6, 2013, 06:44 PM   #26
James K
Member In Memoriam

Muffler?

FWIW, the gadget on a car was originally called a "silencer" and I believe may still be called that in England and some other places. But, no, that does not mean your car has to be registered with BATFE.

Jim
Old July 6, 2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Willie Lowman

Here is a pipeline blowdown silencer.

To keep pipelines silent just like in the movies.

Old July 6, 2013, 08:11 PM   #28
Garycw

The proper term is 'Silencer', not 'Suppressor'

Some people are set on what things are to be called. I'm sure the guy knew what you were talking about. The same is true with Mags and Clips. Maybe it's a generation gap thing or something else. I still see online retailers today advertising 8-10-15 round clips for sale.Either way I know what they are.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
But come on, everyone knows it's technically a "MBRBPE": Muzzle Blast Reducer and Back-Pressure Enhancer
I love it! I'm going to start using it to shut down the know-it-alls.

"So, you want a silencer?"

"It's a suppressor, and you don't know anything."

"Well, they were called silencers by their inventor, and they're referenced as such in the relevant laws."

"Whatever. Tactical Ninja Quarterly calls them suppressors. I know, because I have very tactical pants. Look at all the pockets."

"So...a can?"

"Suppressor! Look at all the pockets! I can carry so many spare magazines!"

"OK. Boom stick quietener?"

"That's not even a real thing!"

"OK. Muzzle Blast Reducer and Back-Pressure Enhancer?"

"...what?!?"

"It's even got an acronym. You guys love your acronyms!"

"Well, I do detest any product or practice without an acronym..."

"Try 'MBRBPE'."

"Holy...wow. Let's never fight again!"

...and lo, there was peace at the gun shop counter.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:32 PM   #30
Theohazard

Priceless! I'm gonna call Silencerco on Monday and insist they change their name to "MBRBPEco"! (And while I'm at it, I should see if they'll send me another employee can; I think I want a Sparrow.)
Old July 6, 2013, 10:49 PM   #31
vaeevictiss

Re: The proper term is 'Silencer', not 'Suppressor'

Yea... I'm sticking to suppressor. Regardless what it is called it suppresses not silences. The Hollywood types call it a silencer and the tacticool types call it a suppressor so if both have bad terms then I'll call it based on the function it performs.

I mean you call a driveway a driveway yet you park on it and a Parkway that you drive on. I'm sure there are plenty of things that perform a different function than their name.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:34 PM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I'm gonna call Silencerco on Monday and insist they change their name to "MBRBPEco"!
Gesundheit!

How about Noise Abatement Ambiance Enhancing Apparatus?
Old July 7, 2013, 01:43 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

I'm not going to tell anybody what the "correct" term to use is, BUT...consider this...

back when Maxim designed his version, he wasn't the only one working on them. In general, they were called "mufflers" in those days. Maxim got his design patented, and called it a "silencer". Silencer was the product name.

Silencer came be represent all sound reducing devices in casual conversation, the same way "Kleenex" means tissue, or BandAid means adhesive bandage. They were originally (and still are) product names, but in regular conversation, are used as generic terms these days.

Since the law uses the term "silencer" it is a valid term, describing a specific class of item. Just as (the hated) term "assault weapon" describes, in legal terms a certain specific class of item (semi autos with certain features).

So, anyone who tells you that you are wrong using the term silencer is wrong themselves. Refer them to the NFA 34 for legal definitions.

A more correct way to refer to them (ignoring the NFA using the term silencer) is to call Maxim's product by its name (Silencer) and other brands "suppressors". However, our govt use of the term silencer, in law makes it correct to refer to all such devices as silencers.

"Can" is slang, and while fine within the shooting community, is totally lost on anyone outside of the "in" crowd. Can is what my soup comes in. Also my spray paint and shaving cream....

Quote:
(And while I'm at it, I should see if they'll send me another employee can;
employee can...is that just a less fancy version of the executive washroom?
Old July 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #34
Mike Irwin
Staff

I just call them...

too damned expensive for me.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #35
Lark

The word silencer is a noun, not an adjective or verb. There is no reason why a person should object to calling a can a silencer just because it doesn't make a gun totally silent. Perhaps this is an indictment of the American education system?

Quote:
too damned expensive for me.
I spent about $275 (including the tax) for my last 30 cal silencer for my AR-10. I spend lots more than that on ammo.
Old July 22, 2013, 05:04 AM   #36
Topos

What is in a name!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet".

For the romantic who values his auditory system - "Extraneous Metal
Overhang Wrist Strainer Muffler"

For the aficionado of WW II War movies - "Alan Ladd OSS Issue Sentry Retirement Tool"

For the guys at the range - "Don't You Wish You Had This Sexy Ear Saver"

For your 'financial adviser' - "Oh No! Not Another One To Buy!"

I will Suppress the Muffled laughter and Can further drivel in Silencer,.

Oh, as for the new that is being announced ....
Old July 22, 2013, 10:54 AM   #37
Armorer-at-Law

"Silencer" was originally a brand name (trademark) of the Maxim Company. Lots of words that used to be trademarks have become generic over time. Examples include escalator, dry ice, trampoline, linoleum, kerosene and aspirin. When people start thinking of a word as describing a type of product, rather than a brand of product, it becomes generic. Nothing accelerates genericism like a law using the word in a generic sense, especially when that law either mandates or severely restricts the market for that product.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:12 AM   #38
johnwilliamson062

Silencer is misleading and in our current environment damaging to legislative efforts IMO. Personally, I will stick with suppressor. I also try to use words other than "gun" and dress in at least jeans and polo when attending any political event(no more camo than hat and only if hunting is directly involved).
Sometimes I wish everyone who opens their mouth about guns could take a one day presentation from a lobbying organization about image and staying on message.
Old July 22, 2013, 02:07 PM   #39
madmo44mag

I don't care what you call them as long as I am not on the receiving end of the noise reduction device.
Old July 22, 2013, 08:36 PM   #40
Lark

Quote:
Silencer is misleading and in our current environment damaging to legislative efforts IMO.
How does using the proper legal terminology damage legislative efforts? The only people who have lectured me on the proper words to use were arogant and smug people who wanted to preach. Politicians I have spoken to on gun control matters haven't objected or cringed when I used the word silencer.

Last edited by Lark; July 23, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old July 23, 2013, 01:11 AM   #41
44 AMP
Staff

Just out of curiosity, what is it called in the European counties where they are required for hunting?

Serious question, I don't know the answer....

Translations can be tricky, and a word can often be translated into several different English words. It wouldn't surprise me if the usual translation calls them (gasp) "silencers".
Old July 23, 2013, 08:07 AM   #42
Mike Irwin
Staff

Neat period piece.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-c...20brochure.pdf

Old July 23, 2013, 08:10 AM   #43
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh lord, this one is REALLY interesting!

A Soviet-era illustration of a silenced Nagant revolver...

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/Sta...a/001.jpg.html

Old July 23, 2013, 08:29 AM   #44
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
How does using the proper legal terminology damage legislative efforts?
The same way referring to a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine and two offending cosmetic features as an assault rifle does.

If they could do it the opposition would legally change firearm to "innocent teen killer"
Old July 23, 2013, 09:34 AM   #45
Machineguntony

There's nothing wrong with trying to change the tone of any debate, whether personal, cultural, legal, or political, by using different terms that serve the speaker.

But the issue that Lark and I bring up is that the same guys who lecture people on using the word 'suppressor' because it's misleading or legislatively damaging are usually the same right wing or conservative guys who roll their eyes and get all huffy when other people apply the same tactic. When other people do it, it's deemed to be 'political correctness gone amuck'. These same guys at the gun shop who so adamantly insist that it's a 'suppressor', not a 'silencer', are the same guys who criticize other people for wanting to use terms like African-American or any hyphenated American, or Physically challenged instead of Handicapped, etc.

I just like the term silencer because it annoys the huffy guys at the gun store.

Last edited by Machineguntony; July 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old July 23, 2013, 12:15 PM   #46
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is it called in the European counties where they are required for hunting?
Lyddempere [muffler] in Norse.

Lyddæmper [silencer] in Danish.

So, um...yeah. That doesn't really settle it, does it?
Old July 23, 2013, 12:45 PM   #47
Jim Watson

I like to use the old terms.
The inventor called them silencers, that is fine with me. Do you know that the Maxim Silencer Co. is still in business, tracing their history back to ol' Hiram himself? They make large industrial mufflers now.

The inventor called it a repeating pistol even though the Internet Generation gets hot over a supposed distinction between revolvers and pistols.

The inventor, the manufacturer, and the using service called it an automatic pistol, even though we are now told that only semiautomatic is correct.
Old July 23, 2013, 12:47 PM   #48
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The same way referring to a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine and two offending cosmetic features as an assault rifle does
You fell into the trap there. What you describe is legally (in some states) and WAS legally in Federal law an "Assault Weapon", not an "assault rifle" even if it is a rifle being described.

The similarity between the terms is deliberate, and was chosen by the antis for just that reason.

Assault Rifle had a commonly accepted definition in the firearms community long before it became a political football. And, under US law, assault rifles are machine guns.

When nutjobs were shooting up schools or workplaces (and then killing themselves) in the late 80s and early 90s, the press screamed "He used an assault rifle!" We answered back, "No, he didn't. It was just a semiautomatic rifle". Then the press screamed "He used a semiautomatic assault rifle!"

This proved to be too cumbersome a sound byte, and it soon became "Assault Weapon" (referring ONLY to semi autos with certain listed cosmetic features), no matter if they were rifles, handguns, or shotguns.

Call it a silencer, I'm ok with that, like I'm ok with Kleenex, Jello or other brand names that have become generic terms. And that is how it is named in law.

Call it a suppressor, because that is what it actually does.

but don't bother me with arguments over which one is "right", as dependent on your point of view (or maybe context) they both are.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #49
johnwilliamson062

Ok, then the same as if you use assault weapon.
Old July 26, 2013, 12:46 PM   #50
Rikakiah

I used to be a huge "it's a suppressor, not a silencer" guy. But that mindset came because I'm also an avid gamer and the kids on there talking about silencers and how rat-whisper quiet they were really annoyed me.

Nowadays, I figure it's not worth getting worked up over either way. I was actually a bit surprised to learn the actual documented legal term was "silencer".

Anyway, I personally think suppressor sounds cooler, but that again could be my jaded image from the 13 year old Call of Duty kids who learned all they know about guns from video games... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE video games, but come on--it's a game, not a weapons manual.

Although, if I had a hot girlfriend who preferred the term silencer, I suppose I could adapt.
Closed Thread