The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 23, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
bigcountry11

Did I get a good deal?

Just won a 1860 army fluted cylinder Colt Signature Series, NIB off gunbroker for 415 dollars. Did I get a good deal? Never saw one with fluted cylinders. Hope its a good deal

Old June 23, 2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Dino.

If it's a Colt? ... I'd say you got a good deal.
If not, I'd say you paid too much.

JMO
Old June 23, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Kadmos

Nice looking piece.

They did make some fluted originals, not rare, but not common either.

Seems like a reasonable price for a Colt to me, not the deal of the century, but not top dollar either.

So..do you plan to shoot it?
Old June 23, 2010, 02:37 PM   #4
CajunPowder

Looks like the grips are very high quality wood, super rich and fine grain.

Load 'er up and blast a few, that's always part of the story, eh?
Old June 23, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

That was a good price for a NIB Sig Series gun. 6th Edition Blue Book lists their value at: 100% - $650, 98% - $475, 90% - $275. Did you get the white outer shipping box with it also? The fluted cylinder is a replica of some of the first 1860s made.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; June 23, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 23, 2010, 02:55 PM   #6
bigcountry11

My brother told me it would be a crime to shoot the colt signature series, and to just buy a uberti to shoot, but I got too. I can't own a collectable gun. They all have to be shot.
Old June 23, 2010, 02:56 PM   #7
bigcountry11

fingers, they said they didn't have the cardboard outer piece. Did it matter?
Old June 23, 2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry11
fingers, they said they didn't have the cardboard outer piece. Did it matter?
Only to a collector that wasn't going to shoot it.

While I have numerous unfired NIB 2nd Generation Colt BP revolvers that I collect - I also have some that I shoot in competition.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 23, 2010, 03:10 PM   #9
bigcountry11

I have a feeling I am going to shoot the snot out of it. Colt's sigs were supposed to well made I heard.
Old June 23, 2010, 04:23 PM   #10
wittzo

Weren't the parts made by Uberti, but the pistols finished and/or assembled by Colt?

Either way, it's a genuine Colt and a good one. Absolutely beautiful. It's also excellent they're not forgetting their roots by producing one the pistols that created them.
Old June 23, 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittzo
Weren't the parts made by Uberti, but the pistols finished and/or assembled by Colt?

Either way, it's a genuine Colt and a good one. Absolutely beautiful. It's also excellent they're not forgetting their roots by producing one the pistols that created them.
Actually, the parts were made by Italian and US manufacturers and assembled by Lou Imperato's Colt Blackpowder Arms Company, in New York city, under a licensing agreement with Colt. Colt never had a hand in them and does not recognize them as being Colts.

It is the Second Generation Colt Percussion revolvers that were manufactured, inspected, marketed and warranted by Colt

Last edited by Fingers McGee; June 23, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old June 23, 2010, 05:46 PM   #12
CajunPowder

If ya didn't have any crisco ... I think snot would work just fine!
Old June 24, 2010, 06:44 AM   #13
bigcountry11

I have a chance to get from this fellow a colt sig navy same price either 1851 or 1861 model. Trying to decide if its such a hotdog deal.
Old June 24, 2010, 08:39 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

Not a bad price at all for a 3rd gen, that model sold new for $427 and was up to $695 at the end of production.

It's a F1203, they make great shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM
Colt never had a hand in them and does not recognize them as being Colts.
I know this has been discussed to death but I have 3rd gen paper work that claims these well letter from Colt.

I've read of people getting letters on the 3rd gens. I have never seen one and don't have the $300 Colt wants for a letter these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man who owns too many Colts
It is the Second Generation Colt Percussion revolvers that were manufactured, inspected, marketed and warranted by Colt
Correct for the C series, the F series were manufactured by Lou Imperato under Colt supervision.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; June 24, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old June 24, 2010, 11:21 AM   #15
Fingers McGee

I do not own too many colts!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB
I've read of people getting letters on the 3rd gens.
And I've seen a couple for some Colt Custom Shop engraved 1860s; but under manufacturer they said "3rd party supplier". Initially, Sig Series advertised that they would letter; but Colt put a stop to that early on; from what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB
Correct for the C series, the F series were manufactured by Lou Imperato under Colt supervision.
But the F series were still inspected, marketed, shipped and warranted by Colt.

Last edited by Fingers McGee; June 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM.