The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 6, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
kmherring911

Any thoughts on a ruger LCP 380

Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a LCP 380 to carry concealed. I already own a ruger LC9, but its really to big to carry concealed. I want a gun that is going to be totally concealed but also comfortable. Any thought or suggests?
Old May 6, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
BigTex308

Re: Any thoughts on a ruger LCP 380

You won't even notice you have the lcp on you.

It's light and tiny.

These videos say it better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au11...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU8Q...e_gdata_player

Ike
Old May 7, 2013, 12:15 AM   #3
kmherring911

Thanks on the videos very good info!
Old May 7, 2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

My Elsie Pea is a constant companion. It has been 100% reliable nearing, or exceeding 500 rounds of various fmj, and HP ammo. Works great in a DeSantis Nemesis, or Superfly pocket holster. It is accurate for it's intended purpose as a close range SD pistol. Solid center mass shots at 10 yards by point and shoot instinct shooting. Some complain about the sights, or lack there of, but the little LCP is such a natural pointer that you don't really need them.
For either the only gun on me, or as a BUG to larger guns, Elsie is always with me.
LCP, the gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2013, 04:14 AM   #5
shaunpain

I am no fan of shooting small guns, but I'll have to say that those Rugers have to be the smallest practical autoloaders I have ever seen. I wouldn't pass on one at a good price. It's just way too... well, practical! I know a guy who owns one and says when he carries it, he forgets he even has it.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:34 AM   #6
dab102999

I have never shot a LC9 so i cant coment on that for trigger compairision but the LCP has one of the hardest and longest triggers of all the guns i own. I do carry it once in a while but usully grab my j frame (even though it is bigger) for a pocket gun. Not trying to discurage you but if you get a chance to shot a LCP first i would. Also a Houge grip on it makes a world of a difference too.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #7
EdInk

The trigger is not very good and the sights are worthless. That said, I love mine for it's intended purpose. It is a last ditch type thing and good for very up close work.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:52 AM   #8
SIMP

I had and LCP and sold it because I wanted an LC9. I now own another LCP because I missed the ease of carry. Grab one and put a Hogue Handall Hybrid grip on her. Make it feel like a bigger gun in hand without adding any real size.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:48 AM   #9
TailGator

My wife considered the LCP but wound up with a Sig P238. She liked the trigger and the sights a lot better on the Sig, and the slide was easier. It also weighs about half again as much, which predictably helps with recoil. It cost almost twice as much, but she's a real good cook, so . . .
Old May 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #10
marcodo

Loved mine from the moment I bought it several years. Carry it when I can't carry a real gun. Its no more cumbersome than a wallet. Wish it shot a more potent cartridge though. Not a single issue ever.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:52 PM   #11
bonefamily

Quote:
Carry it when I can't carry a real gun.
I wasn't aware the LCP wasn't a real gun.

OP - If you already have the LC9 and like it, the LCP would be a perfect fit for a smaller carry. Mine has been great.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
LockedBreech

I love my LCP.

It is, no exaggeration, significantly smaller printing than my wallet, and I don't find it tough to shoot at all. Sure, it'll sting your hand after 200+ rounds at a range session, but those initial rounds aren't bad at all.

Also insanely reliable for such a 'lil guy.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

It is a fantastic gun. Reliable, surprisingly accurate and can go any place virtually no matter what you are wearing. I paid over retail for mine when they first came out and I'd do it again if I had to replace it.

Drawbacks? I have large hands, the gun is small and I can't get a great grip. As a result, the gun does have more recoil than you'd expect. Not un-shootable, just something to be aware of.

Otherwise, there are no other reasons not to own a LCP.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #14
dsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInk
The trigger is not very good and the sights are worthless.
The newest ones actually have a re-designed trigger and slightly better sights. They can easily be identified by the lack of a (-) in the serial number.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Mystro

Its a good gun but the Bodyguard 380 has real sights and a very good laser.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old May 7, 2013, 08:18 PM   #16
SIMP

dsk is correct. I have a newer model and the trigger is much better than the older ones. The travel is way shorter. Check one out.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:39 PM   #17
kmherring911

Thanks guys that info helps my decision! I do believe I will buy one for sure.. That bodyguard is a nice shooting gun, my buddy has one and I like how small it is.
Thanks!
Old May 10, 2013, 06:16 PM   #18
MarineCpl

.380?

No need for sights. It's a point and shoot, up close weapon. Takes more practice than you think to do "point and shoot". So do it, and do it, and do it, etc...........................
Old May 10, 2013, 06:38 PM   #19
orionengnr

I've had two. Both were exceptionally reliable. I can shoot them reasonably well, given the short sight radius and minimal sights.
It is not a range gun, nor (for me) a 25-yard shooter.
As a prior poster's photos show, the laser makes very little difference, except (in most peoples' cases) to show exactly why your group sizes are what they are.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:58 PM   #20
ritepath

The last EDC I'll ever need.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:53 PM   #21
steveNChunter

I had a ruger LCP and loved the concealability but could not hit the broad side of a barn with the horridly heavy and long trigger pull and non existent sights. I had a crimson trace laser on mine but it didn't really help any. So I sold it and bought a Bersa Thunder 9 UC. It's not as easily concealed but I'm a MUCH better shot with it and it holds 13 of 9mm vs 6 of .380. So if you're buying it as a CCW ONLY and don't plan to defend yourself any farther than about 7 yards, the LCP is for you. I guess I should also mention that my LCP was before the new trigger and sights so the new ones probably are not as bad. You might wanna check out Beretta's new little .380, I don't know much about it but it seems like it would make a nice CCW.

Last edited by steveNChunter; May 10, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #22
CDR_Glock

It's a very compact gun. I saw a wallet holster that allows you to shoot while it is still in the holster at my LGS. Don't know if it is legal, though.

It has some serious bite and I was only accurate to 15 yards. I bought a P238 and can do controlled pairs at 25 yards on steel plates. I don't think I could do that with an LCP. The sights are pretty rudimentary.
Old May 10, 2013, 09:56 PM   #23
Noreaster

I like my lcp just fine, but I wish I waited for the S&W bodyguard.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:24 AM   #24
lee n. field

Quote:
Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying a LCP 380 to carry concealed. I already own a ruger LC9, but its really to big to carry concealed. I want a gun that is going to be totally concealed but also comfortable. Any thought or suggests?
Well, that does describe the LCP.

The LCP is about the simplest and most minimal autoloader you will find. No safety, no slide lock. Want sights? Get a laser.

Try to handle one first. You may find that it is too small, even with the extended baseplate.

Of the Kel Tec P3AT and clones out there, I'd consider this first, followed by the Kel Tec and Taurus' TCP, followed by nothing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 11, 2013, 10:11 AM   #25
steveNChunter

This is the new Beretta I was talking about. Its supposed to be for sale by August of this year. There's alot of good "hype" about it. It may or may not turn out to be true, but would be worth a look.