The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
blastcm

new gun for squirrels hunting

ok so I want to get a new .22 for hunting squirrels. Im intense when it comes to hunting squirrels. first off i only aim for the head cuz they good eaten. i prefer an semi automatic currently using an older ruger 10/22. i was thinking of a marlin 60 but many say its the best gun there is and many say its a piece of junk. so i came here for you peoples help. I prefer a .22 that is perfect on accuracy and is good with a scope. i rather have a semi auto .22 but open to sugestions. and is there another .22 with a tube like the marlin?
Old December 12, 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Pahoo

Unless you are determined to get a new .22, for squirrels, what is wrong with your 10/22? I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new gun and sell an old one to pay for it. For instance, today the sun came up and it would be a great day to buy a new gun. You could upgrade that 10/22 with countless choices that would add functionality. As Far as the Mod. 60, have not shot one for some time now but I see no reason not to buy one. For a squirrel rifle, the 10/22 has many good points. Last week a buddy showed me his new squirrel 10/22 and it had a carbon fiber barrel as well as a sythetic stock and trigger job. It really handled nice and I wouldn't mind taking it to the woods. I'm not sure what you are goiing after but there are many choices beyond the 10/22. Good luck and good hunting.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 12, 2009, 11:48 AM   #3
MADISON

Squirel shooting 22s.

We use Rugers. Either a 77-22 or a 10/22.
I remember when we first started shooting squirels that were stealing tomat from the garden. My wife had a Mini-14 [223]. We devised a "squib load" at about 1850 fps. Working the bolt manually, I put 4 shots in one squirel before it hit the ground.
Old December 12, 2009, 12:37 PM   #4
blastcm

well the 10/22 is not mine i just use it and i want to get my own but the 10/22 is small and has a few problems every now and then. the marlin looks good but theres alot of controversy about it
Old December 12, 2009, 12:42 PM   #5
ndking1126

I have a marlin 60 and it works perfectly. Couldn't be happier with it. I too sometimes get the itch to replace it, but can't ever justify a purchase because it does everything I need a .22 to do.

Good luck!
Old December 12, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
MoBart

If your a dedicated semi guy, disregard this reply, lol. If your open to other ideas, take a look at the CZ 452's The base model is kinda weird feeling at first because of the VERY euopean stock shape, but even with the factory open sights, its a tack driver. Reminton was importing the BRNO for a while, not sure if they still are or not, and calling it the Model 5. Little cheaper then the CZ but a solid 50+ yrd bushy tail decapitating machine. My uncle has one and off of a bench with solid work on our part we get 3/4 in groups at 50 all day. I've made head shots on crows at over a 100 yards with my CZ varmiter and the CCI Velocitor loads consitantly, thats a super tough to beat combo, but that is a .22lr around $500. Winchester sells the wildcat, not sure who makes it or where its imorted from, but I have been told by people I believe its a super shooter and its under $250. My varmiter CZ is going to get replaced one of these days with the American model for lighter weight but, I hate to get rid of that rifle. I've never had a .22 (or anything else) that shoots that good. If you have to have a semi, have you checked out the T/C Classic? They are not a tube feed magazine but super built and accurate rifles, and gorgous to look at. I've been drooling for one since they came out just haven't picked one up yet cause I bought the CZ the year it came out.
Old December 12, 2009, 01:35 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
Im intense when it comes to hunting squirrels...

...i rather have a semi auto .22 but open to sugestions.
As to the semi-auto, for the "intense" squirrel hunter, who's looking for something other than a 10/22 or a Marlin 60, how 'bout a Colt M4 .22?:
http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.ph...ries_by_umarex

I agree with the CZ452 suggestion. They are terrific rifles.

If money is no object, the intense squirrel hunter would certainly appreciate a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Hunter:
http://www.cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=jsr
Old December 12, 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Picher

The Thompson Center semi-auto is very nice from the factory, though the stock is a bit smallish for me.

I don't care for Marlin 60s, but they make some pretty nice bolt guns. Savage MKII bolt-action is a fine rifle for the money. The Marlin 39A is close to the best squrrel rifle ever made, but a bit pricy.

The 10-22 can be made into anything you want, but as it comes from the factory lately, is a mere shadow of it's former self. Older 10-22s were fantastic, but the receivers don't seem to have the quality of the older ones.
Old December 12, 2009, 05:57 PM   #9
oilfieldguy

I did some squirrells in the other day with my new .22 semi. It's a frankenstien built from a MagnumResearch 1017 receiver with Shooter's Ridge Fluted bull barrel and stock. I put a pretty decent scope on top and it's very accurate, and fun to shoot. My advice is to build your own so you can have it just the way you want it. Magnum Research also makes some killer lightweight barrels. (they cost a little more though.)

But the regular 10/22 right out of the box has taken more vermin than you shake a stick at. And the price is pretty agreeable.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:36 PM   #10
MoBart

Thats true about the T/C stock, its kinda thin feeling, but the sprter version with the laminate looks like it would be a little more full sized. I haven't held one yet. I never thought about the ar-22 platforms. They aren't even close to the marlin 60 or ruger 10/22 in price point but, those are worlds away in the cool factor, lol. I have shot alot of bushytails and longears both with .22lr pistols. Makes you work harder at it but lots of fun. Slap a red dot atop a Buckmark and find a spot with lots of bunnies, its more fun the you can imagine.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Bigfatts

My brother has a Marlin 60 that he uses for squirrel hunting. Took it out today as a matter of fact. He has had it for roughly 2 years with zero problems. It shoots very well too. Quite accurate and it is dead reliable. I can't even remember how many squirrels I've seen him take with it. He had a scope on it but is using irons for now. Only negative thing I can say about it is that it's a little heavy, but then it does have a bbl that's a little heavier than normal.
Old December 13, 2009, 07:21 AM   #12
KMO

Well, getting back to this...

Quote:
i was thinking of a marlin 60 but many say its the best gun there is and many say its a piece of junk. so i came here for you peoples help. I prefer a .22 that is perfect on accuracy and is good with a scope.
...I have no criticisms of the Marlin 60, but I wouldn't say you'd be stepping up with that model from what you already have. If your standard is "perfect on accuracy," I'm not sure the 60 or your 10/22 will ever fulfill that requirement for you. If there is nothing wrong with your 10/22, I would just keep it and consider upgrading the ammunition you use in order to achieve consistent results. You also wrote, "good with a scope." I'm not sure if that means you already are using one, or perhaps that you need to get one. For your Ruger 10/22, Bushnell makes a nice one, the Bushnell .22 Rimfire 3-9x32 Rifle Scope Matte Multi-X 762239. In fact, it's on sale as of the date of this post... http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell...FQMUawodfjp4CA
Old December 13, 2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Relentless Pursuit

60's are junk and 10/22's take some massaging.

The Marlin 39 is rather fabulous out of the gate,especially elder versions less the safety. It'd take a pretty good sized herd of squirrels,to run one dry..............(grin)
Old December 13, 2009, 04:30 PM   #14
badlander

I'll be darned we agree on something!
Old December 13, 2009, 05:45 PM   #15
Relentless Pursuit

The Glorious 39 is the best ware Marlin has ever offered. I've a trio,all setup differently for alternate applications....................
Old December 13, 2009, 06:25 PM   #16
hickstick_10

if your open to new things

id honestly try a henry golden boy in .22, its a wonderful gun for squirrels.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:27 PM   #17
Relentless Pursuit

Henry is potmetal junk,replete with horrid "craftsmanship".

They are prone to F/F woes,short lived and ultra unreliable....in no particular order..................
Old December 13, 2009, 08:17 PM   #18
jlbpa

how about this....

remington 552 speedmaster.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...peedmaster.asp

Don't own one...wish I did... but the one I borrowed was squirrel head accurate with long rifle and can cycle short for back yard plinking
Old December 13, 2009, 08:59 PM   #19
hometheaterman

Honestly the two I'd consider are the 10/22 and the Marlin 60. Just really depends on what you want to do with it. From most of what I've read the Marlin 60 seems to be more accurate out of the box in factory form. However, I have a 10/22 too and at 35-40 yards it shot about a 1" group. I shot maybe 30 or 40 rounds and had the 1" bullseye completely shot out with only like two outside of that. That's perfectly fine for shooting a squirrel. If you want out of the box accuracy you might want the Marlin 60 though.

If you want to customize or upgrade it though you for sure want the 10/22 no doubt about it. You can also make the 10/22's very very accurate if you do some work to them.
Old December 14, 2009, 01:03 AM   #20
olyinaz

The Rem 552 is excellent. About the only reason I don't recommend it any longer is cost. I've had mine for 35 years and killed a lot of bushy tails with it.

For like money today I'm afraid that there are probably better rifles but I'll never let mine go - that's for sure.

Best,
Oly
Old December 14, 2009, 01:43 AM   #21
tINY

If you are shooting bushy-tails in the head for the pot, I don't see why you need a semi-auto...

Stock mod 60s are pretty accurate. I've heard mixed reports about stock 10/22s. Most bolt actions will be more accurate out of the box.

Find a stock that fits you - this is important when things get "intense".

-tINY

Old December 14, 2009, 09:34 AM   #22
QBall45

I'm partial to my model 60. Its dead on accurate. Been very reliable. I've had a few issues with some ammo...not wanting to eject properly (cheap ammo) I've found that if kept clean & well lubed it runs perfectly.

I'm thinking I'd like to add a S&W AR15/22lr to my collection. However, I'm not sure I can justify the cost when my Marlin works so well.
Old December 14, 2009, 01:03 PM   #23
tINY

I have the 1522. It's nice for mounting a red-dot sight for speed and I have rails for a light....

..where legal and safe.

-tINY

Old December 14, 2009, 01:09 PM   #24
Scorch

Quote:
today the sun came up and it would be a great day to buy a new gun.
Works for me!

Rather than go out and buy another cheap 22, you can trick out that 10/22 for the same amount of money and turn it into a tackdriver. You can buy an aftermarket barrel and stock it for about $120, and in 1/2 hour you have a totally new outlook on head shots out to 100 yds.
Old December 14, 2009, 01:24 PM   #25
NWCP

I have a little Browning SA22 that makes for a great squirrel/ rabbit rifle. I have also used an old Winchester Model 74 semi auto as well, but the little Browning is my favorite.

Tags
marlin , squirrels