The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 12, 2009, 05:26 AM   #26
mega twin

MauiDoc,if the hood is not worn on your head,it is hanging down and makes a pouch to hold a hand gun or other weapon.
I am talking about the sweatshirts or jackets with an attached hood.
Old October 12, 2009, 07:59 AM   #27
output

action vs. reaction

The action vs. reaction theory is very eye awakening…and it applies to both law enforcement and civilian alike. More often then not the criminal always has “the drop” or advantage just because they already have a plan. It might not be elaborate, but they have the intent and the edge in that aspect. I’m not one to walk around on eggshells all the time and I don’t think anyone should. But I don’t think proper firearm training would hurt anyone.

"Formal training in what? Learning how to clean an M-16 and fire it on a range doesn't teach you how to use a pistol to hold up a liquor store, or how to do a drive-by shooting with maximum bling." Trex, if you think our military is only trained to clean an M-16 and fire it down range you are sadly mistaken.
Old October 13, 2009, 04:47 AM   #28
devildog66

The military has and has always had a large number of young men who become "former criminals" when they join the military and simply resume their prior vocation upon discharge. Not to mention, that many do not serve successfully in the military; they are the recipient of a Big Chicken Dinner (Bad Conduct Discharge) or other similar discharge... Overall, an interesting post.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:16 AM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Interesting. Based on the report, the bad guys in the report have more battle experience and practice more often than do most cops or CCW people.

Quote:
I believe that the hit ratio is also effected by the fundamental difference in morality between officer and offender. The officer doesn't want to kill anyone, ever.
I have spoken with far too many officers to know this isn't true. During a fight, many very much do want to do kill the people they are fighting. Some don't, but certainly many do...even if the department directed mantra is that they were just trying to "stop" the bad guys.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:54 AM   #30
Mello2u

http://www.pdsdc.org/Resources/SLD/V...20by%20DOJ.pdf

This link is to a 43 page pdf document titled: Violent Encounters: A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers 2008.
" Frederic Bastiat