The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 12, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Ilovemyak47

Trijicon ACOG scopes, yowsa yowsa yowsa

Ok, so i've been reading about the blasted ACOG scopes that our boys are using 'over there' and I really want to know what's the big dang deal. I'd just read in the new 'guns & ammo' where they quoted Maj Gen Mattis (commander of 1st marine battalion during iraqi freedom) where he said that "The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in World War II." Now that's a pretty big claim by a pretty big person. And now I'd even heard that they have one made for the trajectories of an m4 instead of a full enchalada. I just can't imagine one of them being worth a whole thousand dollars though...I've seen a couple go on ebay for as little as $600 or so but even then I'd have a pretty hard time convincing the missus how much we need one of those. Anybody got one? Was it worth that much of your paycheck?
Old March 13, 2006, 06:23 PM   #2
USMC Tanker

I had the ACOG on my M16 when I was in Fallujah. It was probably amongst the most practical, useful, helpful, "jack of all trades" piece of gear I had. Obviously I was using it everyday, and you won't ever hear a complaint about the ACOG from this Marine!

I used it to scope out possible IEDs, get a closer look at windows, doors, vehicles, personnel, buildings, etc. Anything that you could possibly want to identify or identify friend/foe, the ACOG made that task just that much easier. The ACOG also gave pretty much any Marine the ability to be a "Designated Marksman" by using his ACOG to provide overwatch of a patrol or raid, or even from a defensive position/machinegun bunker.

The ACOG isn't too obtrusive or heavy, and when I go back into combat again, I will either be issued another ACOG or I'll buy my own...either way.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:24 PM   #3
knowledgegreen

Not trying to hijack the thread, just a couple of quick questions for USMC Tanker.

USMC Tanker said:

"I had the ACOG on my M16 when I was in Fallujah. It was probably amongst the most practical, useful, helpful, "jack of all trades" piece of gear I had. Obviously I was using it everyday, and you won't ever hear a complaint about the ACOG from this Marine!"

Are they issuing the TA01NSN's for the Marines? If not what model are you guys using?
Old March 14, 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
USMC Tanker

The model that I'm almost positive we were using was the TA31F. If it wasn't that model, it was another model with similar specs, appearance, and reticle (http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...&categoryID=3).

As for the TA01NSNs, my unit didn't have those...I believe they're mainly for M4 specs. And for your information, the M4s that Marines were carrying over there, the only optics I ever saw on them were red-dots (Eotech, AimPoint) and those M4s were in service with the Marine Corps FAST teams and Recon/Force Recon.
Old March 14, 2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Wildalaska

I have the TA31RCO (the marine corp optic) and I love it.

I cant keep them in stock, here one day ond then gone, assuming they arent gone before they get here

WildtritiumAlaska