The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2000, 04:24 PM   #1
Buckeye61

I have heard both schools of thought on cleaning my shotgun. Some have said the sun should never set on a dirty gun. Others have said they clean their guns once a year and have had no problems with them at all.

Someone at a local shop suggested wiping out and oiling the action each time it is used, coupled with an ultra-sonic cleaning once a month...and that would be adequate. Was he correct or even close?

So what's the best plan? Does it need to be cleaned each time it is used? Once a year seems to be a little extreme. I'm hitting the range about once a week right now, putting between 50-75 rounds through my 870 each time I go. That will likely slow down a bit once I become more comfortable with my gun, but what is the best schedule to follow to keep the gun in excellent working condition?

thanks
~kevin~
Old April 24, 2000, 05:01 PM   #2
jcoyoung

I've always tried to clean my shotguns as soon as possible after shooting. This is especially true for my Beretta 390 because of the gas operation. My Mossberg 590 dosn't get the lavish attention of the Beretta, but since it's a pump action, I don't worry much about keeping everything clean.

I clean the bore and gas system (where applicable) every time after I shoot. I clean the action/trigger group about every 5th cleaning session. That's what has worked for me so far, but I'm not exactly a veteran shotgunner.

Ultrasonic cleaning once a month? Maybe if you shot a case of ammo every week. I would venture a guess and say that this particular shop has an ultrasonic cleaning service and he's trying to drum up some business.
Old April 24, 2000, 10:23 PM   #3
K80Geoff

I clean my guns at the range immediately after I finish shooting. I use a boresnake or tikka tool to clean out the bores and chambers. In my part of the country the humidity is very high and if the gun is not looked after rust will start to form. The chambers are particularly prone to rusting.

When I get the gun home I disassemble it and clean the action. I like the bores clean and lubricated and when I am finished I wipe the outside down with a silicone impregnated rag.
Guns are expensive, cleaning supplies are cheap. I do the above with my 870 as well as my O/U's.

Trigger mechanisms are a different matter. Expensive doubles have complicated triggers that I will only used compressed air on to blow out dirt or powder. If the triggers need cleaning they go back to the manufacturers gunsmith. The 870 trigger is easily removed and cleaned if needed.

I try to remove any grease during the cleaning and replace it with fresh grease. This is critical on the hinge of doubles and grit in the grease will cause wear. Most gas gun shooters I know clean their guns religiously after shooting to prolong the life of the seals and springs.

I never put a gun away dirty if at all possible.

My$.02

Geoff Ross
Old April 24, 2000, 10:45 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I used to be religious and clean them immediately upon returning home. Now I clean them within a week. A clean gun is a happy gun!
Old April 25, 2000, 05:01 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Short- every time it's shot, the weapon is cleaned by the time honored Hoppe's method. and an oil mop is used in the bbl while an oily rag is used to wipe off the exterior.

At least once per year, the weapon's broken down and cleaned inside,and lubed lightly with moly grease.

If your trigger pulls seem heavy and gritty, clean off the bearing surfaces and re lube. You may have a pleasant surprise.

Also, on the action bars on the 870s, a single drop of CLP on each is a good idea. With the action closed, place the drop next to the receiver and then work the action a few times...
Old April 25, 2000, 12:35 PM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

I clean my shotguns (and all my guns, FTM) inside and out when I'm done shooting. Ultrasonic, though, seems to be overkill, especially once a month. Maybe once a year, in the absence of regular cleaning.

Musing... my cottage is no one's idea of a Better Homes & Gardens showplace, there's cat hair everywhere, usually Hoppe's-soaked newspaper on the kitchen table... but my guns are freakin' spotless. Kinda says something about my priorities, hm?
Old April 25, 2000, 01:48 PM   #7
Hueco

Clean both Mossbergs everytime they're shot. I'll clean them both as soon as I get home with them (15 minutes or so). I don't care if I shot 10 rounds of trap or shot 3 times at the patterning range -- they both get Hoppes and oil. About every 300 rounds, they get their actions torn down, cleaned, and relubed. You should see them -- neither of them show any wear anywhere after about 1000 rounds. Incredible!

Hueco