The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 6, 2008, 01:58 AM   #26
SuddenPull

In answer to some previous questions: squirrel count – an equal bag of 4 reds, 4 grays with 2 mixed as I recall. Load: either 2s or 4s, Gun – 410 gauge full choke (can’t read make or model, looks like someone filed off the serial numbers and got the name too). This is my short-range gun.

Unfortunately, salt ruined the barrel on my long-range gun. When we hunted with it we had to take factory ammo and dump out half the shot and then pack the empty cavity with salt. The gun killed at such a long distance if you didn’t have salt in the load the meat would be spoiled by the time you got to it.

Hey, I am trying to be serious here.
Old November 6, 2008, 02:12 AM   #27
butta9999

Its raining squirrel's.

You sure they just didnt pass out from the poo poo on someones shoe:barf:
Old November 6, 2008, 07:46 AM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NOW I KNOW IT IS BS!!! .410 huh? And you hunt with a gun that will get you FEDERAL FELONY charges? So you want us to believe that salt will fly right behind the lead shot and embed to preserve meat?
AND ARE TRYING TO BE SERIOUS BUT NOT TRUTHFUL!!!
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 6, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old November 6, 2008, 11:53 AM   #29

Remineds me of the day up a Scotish mountin when my B.S.A. martine action single shot .22 short went off all on its own. the bullet rycochade of a rock and neck shot a red stag 1865 yards up the hill. the stag rolled down and fell in the river which ran passed where I was standing. so the pussycat dolls [who just happend to be passing by ] dressed and cooked it and we all had a great time.
Then my alarm clock went off and I had to get up for work.
_____________________________________________________-

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Old November 6, 2008, 12:27 PM   #30
Merk_fmr8511

While deer hunting, I saw a 45-70 Gov't go through 1 buck, dropping it... and got another buck... 15 yards away.
Old November 6, 2008, 04:47 PM   #31
kingudaroad

Quote:
While deer hunting, I saw a 45-70 Gov't go through 1 buck, dropping it... and got another buck... 15 yards away.
Sorry man but that story is way too believable for this thread. Moderators please delete.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:48 PM   #32
SuddenPull

For the few remaining skeptics out there I want to mention that 410 shell was reloaded by my brother and I. We became excellent shotgun shell reloaders while in high school. We were forced to use reloads in place of expensive factory rounds after our rich uncle died in the poor house.

We traded a couple of laying hens and a sack of flour for an old MEC 600 that our neighbor had. The deal almost fell apart when he couldn’t find the bar that slid back and forth under the two milk jugs. We later found it in his barn where he had used it to drive a few nails. We figured the bars must be commonly used for that purpose as we read that some reloads are known as ‘tack drivers’. After examination we determined the bar must have come off the night shift as the two holes in it were not the same size. We quickly remedied that by redrilling the smaller one to match the larger one. That helped balance the bar and also made it easier to slide.

Uncle Gosh field tested the first load we made up. He had a bowel movement right after he set the trigger off and when the smoke cleared, he was holding the gun in one hand and the forearm in the other. It was back to R&D after he broke a beanstick over my brother’s back. We fine tuned the bar using some J B Weld and developed an outstanding load. We felt terrible about what had happened to uncle Gosh when he passed away a short while later. We found him slumped over on the porch while sipping his coffee from a saucer. He accidentally used the saucer that held the rat poison we were using for our quicker killing loads.

My younger brother learned how to read during the R&D period and that helped a lot. I always felt bad that he learned to read before I did because the locals called me a national honor student. I was one of only a few students in the sixth grade that was eligible to vote. Our reloads were widely distributed in the region and were immediately well known. Their popularity fell off rather quickly which still puzzles us even now. There are still a few of them around, however, and their discharge characteristics still shock people today.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:26 PM   #33
Fat White Boy

I shot a quail one handed with my pants around my knees taking a leak...
Old November 6, 2008, 08:31 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Oh yeah??? well I was peein and a rattle snake attacked me so I soaked him down and he hollers out and flipped me off and ran away... TOP THAT!!!
Brent
Old November 6, 2008, 11:07 PM   #35
rem870hunter

thats it i'm gonna load up some 12 gauge dust loads ,go to the apple orchards in the spring and shoot me some moths. take the moths home and have angelina jolie cook them up for supper. go nextdoor to my neighbors house around 8 and watch aerosmith rock out in his backyard.
Old November 7, 2008, 03:24 AM   #36
GetYerShells

One time...I was hunting bull moose with an AK 47. I came to a clearing and heard a grunt behind me, the moose was about 25 ft away and it charged me. I tried to shoot the moose but my gun jammed. I threw the gun away at the last second grabed the moose by it's rack and broke it's neck with my bare hands.
Old November 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #37
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I saw a really bragging-sized buck one fall before deer season, and got curious about where he had come from. I started back-trailing him. Tracked all the way back to where he was born.
Old November 7, 2008, 01:05 PM   #38
Kaizer

oh boys the b.s aroma is thick in this thread!!
Old November 7, 2008, 02:24 PM   #39
nra_guns_winner

Sounds like a squirrel orgy. I've never seen more than nine in any one place!
Old November 7, 2008, 06:46 PM   #40
Deet

My dad shot a squirrel with his old Berreta 20 ga single shot loaded with #6. No big deal, but when we skinned the squirrel at home we only saw one tiny hole in his chest, we cut him open and there was one pellet embedded in his heart. It was 1970 or so and we didn't think of taking a picture, but since then my father has told this story 100 of times and it still makes me smile remembering all the fun my father and I had while hunting.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:52 PM   #41
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NOW THAT I CAN BELIEVE!!!
I have always said that only one pellet of proper size is adequate for takin' game. The rest are just to compensate for our inadequacies.
Brent
Old November 7, 2008, 11:14 PM   #42
sc928porsche

The onlything missing in this thread is the campfire and chairs.
Old November 7, 2008, 11:22 PM   #43
SigfanTN

This one really is true, but most don't believe me either when I tell it except my stepfather since he was there when it happened.

I was a young boy, and we were rabbit hunting with his beagles. I was set up next to a creek with several brush piles and a pine thicket along one side, and an open field on the other. I was using his old single-shot .410.

The dogs jumped a rabbit, and a minute later I see the rabbit running directly toward me about 30-40 yards away. I raised the gun and fired. The rabbit is still running toward me, so I did the only other thing I knew to do. I hiked my leg back and kicked the rabbit as hard as I could as he was about to run past me. He rolled and was still....dead as a door knocker.

When we skinned it we were only able to find one pellet that had entered the skin in the chest area. It had only pierced through part of the hide, and was lodged just shy of piercing the meat. There were no other marks on that rabbit besides the bloody nose I gave it with my boot.
Old November 11, 2008, 01:32 AM   #44
SuddenPull

Well, if you didn’t believe my original post, I suppose no one will believe my brother killed both deer and squirrels with one shot. He used one of my experimental loads when I mixed No. 6 and buckshot in one shell.
Old November 11, 2008, 01:44 AM   #45
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

And I suppose the shot pellets exit the barrel, separate into 2 groups, huddle up, make a plan and head on out in 2 directions discriminating the game critters correctly and chase 'em down??? Do the pellets holler out to each other so they know they got the game plan down pat?
I sure hope you are just goofin' with these tales and don't expect anyone to really believe you! And moreso I sure hope you do not believe yourself. These tales are so far from possible reality that my american bulldog pitbull cross knew it was totally BS and she is not so bright as a flat tire! Not much chance you will find dumber or more gullible than her and she read this and looked at me and asked if you were for real! I told her, Deadly girl, I am afraid this suddenpull feller is tryin' to pull yer leg... she then said her hip was sore and she wished you were here so she could tell you some stories...
Did I mention that I have 4 bulldogs that speak perfect english and a fifth one tries but her hairlip causes a speech impediment, In fact when she sees a stranger she says.... "MARK MARK MARK...."!
Brent
Old November 11, 2008, 12:07 PM   #46
SuddenPull

He got a couple of rabbits, too. Didn't want to mention that as rabbit season was closed.
Old November 11, 2008, 12:24 PM   #47
sc928porsche

How many points did the rack on the squirrel have?
Old November 11, 2008, 02:03 PM   #48
SuddenPull

I thank everyone for their time and input but enough humor has been shared on this thread. So SuddenPull is signing off until next time.
Old November 11, 2008, 02:15 PM   #49
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

Quote:
In fact when she sees a stranger she says.... "MARK MARK MARK...."!
G'day. That dog is smarter than you. It was not a stranger, they had met before and she was trying to tell you his name.
Old November 11, 2008, 02:23 PM   #50
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

Quote:
I suppose no one will believe my brother killed both deer and squirrels with one shot. He used one of my experimental loads when I mixed No. 6 and buckshot in one shell.
G'day, are you one of the WARNER BROTHERS. Yosamidy Sam or Elmer Fudd? Brothers from different mothers.