The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
wpcexpert

5 point I Killed Yesterday

Here is a 5 point I killed Yesterday. He had a weird right side. I found his right rear hoof had only had one toe. I guess that's the reason for the abnormality.

I killed him with a Savage MLII smokeless Muzzle Loader. The first kill with this rifle. 55 yard shot, he went about 60 after the hit. Bullet was a 250gr Hornady SST. They are flying up around 2350fps so they do the damage. After skinning, I found his top half heart removed and the front of his lungs turned to mush.

He was an older deer, 4 - 5 1/2 years old. He was a good one to take out of the herd. He weighed 167lbs. Good deer. Very happy hunter.

100_2207 (2).jpg

100_2208 (2).jpg

100_2220 (2).jpg
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 12, 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
wpcexpert

And a hen Turkey I smoked with the bow last week. First turkey ever with the bow.

I shot her right thru the wing butts. She flopped for about 7 seconds and went about 15 feet. I was proud of that one too.

11-04-08 3 (2) (2).jpg
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 12, 2008, 07:28 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Surely was a good one to kick out of the gene pool. That deformity may not be genetic... could have been a birthing issue like cord around the neck or something affecting blood flow in the spine etc... But still not worth us leaving in the pool. Hope he tastes as good as he should. I would put that rack on display as it is unique. Not a paid taxidermy just cut the skull plate off and leave to cure.
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 08:01 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BTW, was that 167 hoof weight or gutted?
Either way nice size. Here in Fla where I am at, 160# hoof weight is a good size deer and 160# dressed is a bragger size.
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
wpcexpert

That's hoof brother. He was kinda short and stout. Bulldogish. Dad killed one up in PA last week that went 188 field dressed. He was a goodun.

Yeah, I keep every single buck rack that I kill. I don't care if it's button buck by mistake. I'll cut it off. I feel that the hunting God's will frown upon me if I don't.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; November 12, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:50 PM   #6
FrontSight

Niiice, nice...!!

I've got the same muzzleloader, but have yet to shoot it