The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2008, 05:19 AM   #1
RDF

Pistol Brass ?

Hi

I'm working on some loads for my 9mm and 38. Will be for plinking,Idpa, and Cowboy shooting. How important l is it to use same name brass or is it ok to use mixed brass? Does a hunting load make a difference also? Will be loading 44 mag in the near future also.

Thanks
Rick
Old July 12, 2008, 08:40 AM   #2
mniesen89

Everybody has there own opinion of course, but mixing pistol brass is fine.As far as rifle cartridges go, if your looking for accuracy, you'll definitely want to keep your brass the same. Alot of people including me go as far as weighing each piece of brass and keeping those that weigh close to the same grouped!

I would assume your new to reloading? Have you picked up any manuals yet?
Old July 12, 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
shu

38spl and 45acp are low pressure cartridges. The strength of cases and firearms both are likely to be much improved over the original design specifications, simply due to improvements in metalurgy and quality control. 38spl, originally sized for black powder, has plenty of freeboard between powder and bullet so differences in case volume between manufacturers is not important. I take what I can find and use them until they crack. My 38spl loads are mostly low to mid range target loads.

9mm is a higher pressure cartridge with not much freeboard. There is enough fairly fresh WIN brass arround for scrounging that I can standardize on. I may be just kidding myself though, because Winchester may well use several suppliers for their brass, with some variation in case volume due to thickness of wall and web.

For 357mag boomer loads I use purchased brass and keep it separated.

-shu
Old July 12, 2008, 12:49 PM   #4
zxcvbob

1. I keep my nickel-plated brass separated from my yellow brass, cuz it just looks tacky if you mix it.
  2. In .45 Colt, I only use Starline brass for my very-high-pressure Ruger Only loads. I also avoid Starline brass when I'm loading black powder or other low-pressure loads because it doesn't seal the bore very well at low pressures.
  3. I have a bunch of RP brass separated out in .38 Special and .357M just because I bought way too many Remington 1.5 primers when they were cheap and they are too tight in other brands of brass.
Except for that, I leave it mixed up.
Old July 12, 2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Crosshair

I just leave it mixed, the only time I separate it is for high end rounds like the 500 S&W and such.
Old July 12, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
RDF

I have been reloading a few years, but mostly 12 ga, some in .223, .243. 30-06 and 38's for cowboy. Trying to find a accurte load for my 9 mm's. Going to get a 44 mag next week and will load for it also. I have several manuals that I check out. Didn't know it the different case brands would make that much of a difference. I started to seperate the different cases and got to thinking about this, have about 6000 cases.
Old July 12, 2008, 04:50 PM   #7
joneb

For my revolver ammo I don't mix it, same head stamp and the same number of reloadings. I try to do this with my auto brass but it is much more difficult.
I try to be as consistent as possible when reloading, I reload not only to save money but to produce ammunition that is more accurate in my guns than factory ammo.
Old July 13, 2008, 11:29 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

why bother

I can repeat on demand testing with the 9x19; single headstamp ammo, regardless of bullet, is more accurate than mixed heasdstamp ammo.

I can prove it with numerous guns.

I can prove it in every handgun cartridge I load for; amount, however, varies.
I do not normally sort for 45 ACP, but any bigger-match ammo gets made with one brand of case.

I have many cases.

Only the individual can decide if the time is well spent.
Old July 13, 2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Walther22lr

For me, when loading rounds to be used in SASS, I don't worry about the headstamps being the same. At the distances involved, I don't think its worth the hassle.
Now for the long range side events, sure, I might sort them to get the best possible accuracy.