The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Catfish25p2000

Remington Copper solid slugs... A++++++

WOW, I just shot two deer with Remington 3" mag copper solid slugs. I shot one at 65yds, and one at 70yds, and dropped them both within 5 feet of where they were standing. I have been slug hunting for a long time and have never had a slug perform like these! I used to use the cheap-o-slugs. NEVER AGAIN will I buy a cheap slug. It will be the 3" copper solids for me from now on. By the way, I ended up killing a really nice 4 year old 8 pointer with one eye, and tons of scars. Really cool old buck. I am pumped!
Old December 5, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Are those full bore size or sabot slugs for the rifled barrels?
Pics of the kills are requisite!
Brent
Old December 5, 2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Catfish25p2000

They were the Sabot slugs. I will work on pics from my phone.
Old December 6, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
shortwave

Catfish, congrats n your success. Where did you hit the deer?
Old December 6, 2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Daryl

Catfish,

Congrat's on the success!

I've never used slugs for hunting, but I always figured "a slug is a slug" when it comes to shotguns. With that in mind, I"m not sure I'd have been "properly impressed", since I'm pretty used to seeing deer hit the ground without taking even a single step when I shoot them with a rifle. Most do just that for me.

But I'm glad to hear that someone's making things better for slug hunters, and that the hunters are noticing.

Again, congrat's!

Daryl
Old December 6, 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Catfish25p2000

I hit the big deer just in front of the front shoulder. He just about fell over, looked around to see what just happened, and then... dropped dead. The second one I shot just behind the shoulder. That one didn't do any looking around, just piled up where she stood. I would love to use a rifle, but in the great state of Illinois, we are stuck with a shotgun/muzzle loader/handgun.
Old December 6, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Daryl

Quote:
but in the great state of Illinois, we are stuck with a shotgun/muzzle loader/handgun.
Yep, an' lucky to have 'em from what I hear.

Good hunting there in places though.

Daryl
Old December 6, 2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Legionnaire

Glad they work for you. My Mossberg 500 liked the original Remington copper solids, but they changed the slug after a couple of years--supposedly got complaints that the bullets broke up. Anyway, the new ones don't group well with my gun, so I changed to Federal 1 oz. Barnes Expanders. They don't group as tightly as the original Remingtons, but good enough for my purposes! Several years, dropped a nice six point at a measured 140 yards. Congrats on your success. Just goes to show you need to test a variety of loads to find what works best in your gun.
Old December 9, 2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Deerhunter

I like the Hornaday SSTs. When I changed over I went to the range and was 6 inches high at 50 yards. Those things do a great job and fly flat.
Old December 9, 2009, 06:20 PM   #10
NSO_w/_SIG

I've used copper solids in my slug gun since 2001, they have performed great for me also, I feel no need to look for anything better when these have always done the job perfectly.