The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 10, 2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Lemmon

Ruger 77/357 ?? 38 special wadcutters ??

I am interested in the Ruger 77/357. Recently read an article expressing how effortlessly it loads and fires 38 special and 38 special wad-cutters. The Ruger website states it only uses 357 magnums.

Please tell me your experience. I am sure it loads and fires 357 magnums all day long but it would be nice if it did the others as well Thank you in advance for providing your experience....

Lemmon from Rural SC
Old June 10, 2014, 01:29 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

I wrote to Ruger about this,,,

I asked specifically if it would feed .38 Special ammo properly.

Ruger replied rather quickly,,,
They took the "lawyer" stance saying,,,

Quote:
The rifle is designed to shoot .357 Magnum cartridges,,,
We can not guarantee any type of performance using .38 Special cartridges.
Note that they didn't say not to use .38 Specials in that rifle.

My H&R single-shot Handi-Rifle shoots .38's all day long,,,
So do the various lever rifles owned by my friends,,,
If the action will chamber the round,,,
The rifle will shoot it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 10, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Lemmon

Aarond, the following is the article that I referenced in my post:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/27...urvival-rifle/

The article states that 38 special wad-cutter, 38 specials along with the 357 magnum do load and fire. I am basically wanting to know what is happening in the real world rather than what is mentioned in an article. I think the rifle will be a hoot to have and plink with. My first experience with handloading was with the 38 special using the Lee loader for my first pistol the Ruger Security-Six.... Great pistol and I still have it.

Reloading the 38 special is a lot cheaper than the .223 AR round. Thanks for you response.

OH, this is my second week in retirement and I have alot of plans for my hobby's that also inlcude Ham Radio....

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina
Old June 10, 2014, 03:09 PM   #4
9x19

I haven't tried wad-cutters (we are talking about the flush-seated variety, yes?), but other .38s have fed fine in my rifle. My grand-son likes shooting +P 130gr FMJ for fun. (I had nothing but trouble with .38s in a Marlin 1894CS.)

I use .357 158gr JHPs for hunting. There are a couple other owners at Ruger Forum that have reported using .38s in their rifles with no issues.

Old June 11, 2014, 04:15 AM   #5
bamaranger

wadcutters

Cannot comment on the 77/357 as I do not own one. But....I have a Marlin '94 which, while it will not feed WC from the magazine, has been fired plenty with single loaded factory WC.

It was bamaboys next step up from .22 at a young age, and power and report wise was ideal for the task. Due to the external hammer, it was a shoot one load one proposition, we did not even deal with lowering the hammer to half cock. He was handed the rifle with the action open, and he returned it the same way, we never left the bench or firing point.

The bolt .357 (and .44 for that matter) leave me a bit cold, but I will consent that .38's in the bolt gun would be an ideal youth training tool, with the step to .357 power a next step as well.
Old June 11, 2014, 12:52 PM   #6
dgludwig

I wrote to Ruger about this,,,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I asked specifically if it would feed .38 Special ammo properly.

Ruger replied rather quickly,,,
They took the "lawyer" stance saying,,,

Quote:
The rifle is designed to shoot .357 Magnum cartridges,,,
We can not guarantee any type of performance using .38 Special cartridges.

Note that they didn't say not to use .38 Specials in that rifle.

My guess is that Ruger's main concern might be as to whether .38 Specials will feed reliably in the 77 bolt-action from the rotary magazine. There would be no safety issues to firing .38 Special ammunition in any firearm chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge.
Old June 11, 2014, 01:29 PM   #7
jeager106

I did some reading up on the Ruger 77 chambered in .357 & .44 magnum.
I was hoping for a Ruger 77 chambered in 45-70, not so.
The rifle makers are missing an opportunity to sell lots of rifles in Ohio now that Ohio is allowing rifles that will chamber straight walled ctgs.
Lever actions flew off dealers shelves and now there is a 60 day wait to get one at full retail.
I don't see any reason why the .357 Ruger won't load & fire .38 spl. rounds.
It is an expensive rifle to just shoot .357 or .38 spl.
Old June 11, 2014, 04:42 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

Hello dgludwig,,,

Quote:
My guess is that Ruger's main concern might be as to whether .38 Specials will feed reliably in the 77 bolt-action from the rotary magazine. There would be no safety issues to firing .38 Special ammunition in any firearm chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge.
I believe you are correct my friend,,,
I searched but must not have saved the e-mail,,,
It's wording was somewhat "weasely" but did mention "no guarantee".

Like you, I interpreted that as a concern about feeding,,,
Rather than a concern about .38 from a .357 rifle.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 11, 2014, 05:14 PM   #9
2damnold4this

Quote:
The article states that 38 special wad-cutter, 38 specials along with the 357 magnum do load and fire.

I must have missed it. Where in the article does it say that?
Old June 11, 2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Lemmon

I contacted a number of the big box stores to see if they had the 77/357. No one had one in Columbia., One shop told me they would order me one but they would expect a lot more than I am willing to spend. I guess I will have to play with what I have.

Thanks for all that responded to my request for information. The idea of having a bolt action rifle that would chamber the 38 special would be neat. I will keep my eye open to see if one pops up.

2damnold4this, the link that I refer to is on #3....

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina........
Old June 11, 2014, 06:38 PM   #11
dgludwig

Quote:
I was hoping for a Ruger 77 chambered in 45-70, not so.
Probably not ever. The Ruger 77/357 and 77/44 are based on the Ruger Model 77/22 rimfire rifle with basically no changes in the rear lug lock-up nor any substantial changes in the metallurgy; not the conventional Model 77 center-fire rifle that we've all come to know and love (at least me) so well.

I am in the market for a Ruger 77/44 rifle. Anybody know where I can get one substantially cheaper than the $699.99 prices that are being asked by my lg stores?
Old June 12, 2014, 01:18 AM   #12
Slopemeno

Jaeger- if you're looking for a 77 in .45-70 why not pick up a used 77 in .458? 100 empty cases and you'd be set for life for .45-70 level reloads. I shoot 405 grain bullets at 2000 fps in mine and the gun barely moves.
Old June 12, 2014, 12:55 PM   #13
2damnold4this

Quote:
2damnold4this, the link that I refer to is on #3....

I read the article you linked. I didn't see anything in the article about the rifle being able to feed full wadcutters. The only mention of wadcutters I saw was this: "For small game, cast semi-wadcutter rounds will pass through small game and not destroy meat, and the same round is effective enough to..."

- See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/27....5xjl3FtW.dpuf
Old June 12, 2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Lemmon

2damnold4this, 2damnold4this....you are correct. Please accept my appology. but...

I reread the post. You are correct and I apologize in my mistake in that comment. I must have been led to believe that because of the photograph in the article included "wad-cutters".

Have a great day.....

Lemmon from rural South Carolina....
Old June 13, 2014, 01:12 PM   #15
AK103K

I have a 77/357 and have shot both .38's (no wadcutters though) and .357's from it. Mine definitely prefers the .357's, and the jacketed 125 grain bullets at that. It doesnt like 158 grain LSWC's at all, in either caliber.

The issue Ive had with the .38s is "rimlock", which locks up the ammo in the mag and normally requires you to drop the mag and fiddle the remaining rounds loose. The mag is designed for the .357's, and with the .38's being slightly shorter, they can move fore and aft with handling and recoil, and with that jostling, the rims can overlap and lock up. Sometimes you will get through a full mag, sometimes you wont. It happens enough with my rifle to be annoying though, and I wouldnt load .38's if youre counting on the gun being reliable.
Old June 13, 2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Lemmon

thank you AK103K for that useful info

thank you AK103K for the useful information on this Ruger. Your experience guides me to decide that If I get the rifle to only use 357 jacketed rounds and not cast or swagged lead bullets. Apparently like all firearms some prefer one type of cartridge over the other. I believe one other post pointed to the 125 grain 357 round as a favorite also. Again I appreciate your time in responding.

BTW... I have an early bolt action Remington model 511?? 22 rifle. It is setup to load 22 short, long and long rifle. I was amazed to see that it did load each round without trouble in clambering the 22 short, long and long rifle rounds that I had on hand. I had hoped the Ruger 77/357 would have been the same. I glad I requested additional information from thefiringline.com group.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina......
Old June 14, 2014, 09:48 AM   #17
AK103K

If youre thinking you might like the the 77/357, I wouldnt let the rimlock thing get you to discouraged. It works fine with .357Mags, and with ammo it likes, its a good shooter.

I know the idea of being able to use two calibers in one gun is attractive, and in some cases could be handy, in a pinch, but for me, from personal experience, it has its downsides, and I really never made much use of it, rifle or pistol.

I reload, and just download the "right" caliber if I want lighter/cheaper loads. Ive just always had better results overall doing so.